The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Should I teach a trick every month in a magazine for the public??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Hi folks,

A friend of mine has launched a new magazine in town that deals with all the night life, restaurants, clubs, bars, fashion shops, advertising etc etc just about anything that will interest him/them. The magazine is doing really well, and is distributed monthly to all the restaurants/bars and around some good fashion shops, its free for people to take and read what is going on. So now let’s get to the point...

My friend (the guy who own/run the magazine) asked me to be interviewed by his magazine, in the next issue, and then he had this idea. He said "will interview you first month and then to keep you in the magazine every month, why not teach a simple trick every month so the readers will be posted, and we called the trick of the month, with illustration and instructions" he said "any silly and easy trick will do" the guy is fully aware of magic and how it should not be exposed, but he recons a simple trick or betchas will do great. And that will keep me in the magazine every month, with some news in what I been up to.

So, what to you guys think? Has any one of you had such experience? Should I teach a quickie easy to do every month, or do a joke (bar bets) on my friend and his staff every month and they can talk and explain what happened to them in the magazine.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Zac
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
If it is about nightclubs/bars, why not focus on the bar betchas and scams. Even if the public never performs one, they are fun to read. Unlike magic, like a good joke in a magazine, many will try these out and should they fail - like trying to retell a joke in a magazine - no harm is done to magic or them.

Brad
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Good one Brad, I had similar idea.

Cheers

More thoughts are welcomed.

1001 Magic Nights Blog

cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Ditto truthteller.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20538 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Betchas are fun. Heck Bozo used to do them under the "fair and square" contsest forum on kids shows.

Definatly the way to go. Also you can almost bet (nice reference huh?) that you will develop a loyal following pretty quickly. That is never a bad thing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Betchas Got My Vote
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Yes, Betchas are good. Even Golf magazine (or Golf Digest, I can't remember which. I get both) has bar betchas in it now. They are written by some magician who calls himself the "Copperfield of Bar Tricks" or something like that.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
First, are they your tricks to teach?

On the more postive side, perhaps some basic NLP would be more useful to the readers.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Hi all,

Thanks for the input.

Vandy, could please tell us little bit more on how the bar betchas is presented in that magazine, do they teach, tell or they tell you to be aware of scams??

Jonathan. If I teach tricks then yes of course they all mine. To the magi they might be silly stuff, but the laymen might get a kick out of knowing how a trick works. And how about tricks that belongs to nobody?

NLP, not really sure how many youngsters would be interested in NLP, plus, my knowledge on the NLP is very basic.

I am considering of going a head with betchas, and would like to hear about what is the most appropriate way to add them to the magazine? Hi all,

Thanks for the input.

Vandy, could please tell us little bit more on how the bar betchas is presented in the magazine, do they teach, tell or they tell you to be aware of scams??

Jonathan. If I teach tricks then yes of course they all mine. To the magi they might be silly stuff, but the laymen might get a kick out of knowing how a trick works. And how about tricks that belongs to nobody?

NLP, not really sure how many youngsters would be interested in NLP, plus, my knowledge on the NLP is very basic.

I am considering of going a head with betchas, and would like to hear about what is the most appropriate way to add them to the magazine?

Zac

1001 Magic Nights Blog

Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Zac,

In the golf magazine they present the "Betchas" as tricks for the reader to learn and use to fool his or her buddies at the 19th hole. (In the bar after a round of golf.)

They are usually designed using golf items. How to pick up a golf ball using a brandy snifter. Or making a triangle with golf balls and reversing the orientaion of the triange by only moving 3 balls, little puzzles using golf tees, etc.

Just little puzzles, typical betcha type stuff that you can amuse people with and maybe get a free drink. Nothing heavy. It's just a little side bar on the page with a picture of the bar magician who does the column and the puzzle and solution. I know they have the magis website listed as well.

I'll find a copy tonight and figure out which magazine it is. They may have them on thier on-line site as well.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Betchas would be cool. But no magic tricks, please. Mac King has a little cartoon in the Las Vegas Review Journal that is interesting for readers. He doesn't expose anything real, they're just a bunch of stunts and gags.

An idea here. The first publication carries a stunt and its solution. It also carries the premise for the next issue's stunt...but doesn't provide the solution. Solution provided next issue. Next issue reintroduces last month's stunt and provides the solution and sets up the premise for next month's stunt.

Heh heh heh.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Fun/safe stunts and interpersonal skills are MUCH more useful than tricks.

A few simple FUN tricks might be good BUT very tough to find magic that makes sense for folks. It tends to be VERY much dependant upon skill, context and/or preperation in the form of gaffs, fekes or outright gimmicks. Way too much fuss. Maybe teach the paper torn and restored and how to make a napkin rose and see where that goes.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Thank you all guys for your input.

I have finally decided to go a head with some betchas, and I would appreciated if you guys could list some ideas. I want to have some bar bets that aren't known that much, because lots of stuff is being exposed nowadays, and many laymen know plenty of them. So if yu guys know some special ones, please let me know where to get them and will check them out .

Zac

1001 Magic Nights Blog

Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Jack
I recommend keeping the magic part out of the general public's eyes. Since most of them have little or no knowledge of this artform, that means they have no pursuit for it and therefore will look at the trick as "Ah, so that's how it's done." type attitude, but will have no interest in performing or enhancing the art of magic further. It's basically giving away secrets for no reason. Magic is secrets and should only be given away when the art of magic isn't weakened. Definitely stick with the bar gags, stunts, etc. which will have more interest to them and doesn't hurt magic.
Sorry about that, I got on a rant.
Magically, Jack
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm glad to see Zac resolved to do it this way. It keeps everyone happy. And it shows solidarity among the magic community.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Should I teach a trick every month in a magazine for the public??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL