We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Tom Foolery (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Nervous laughter, you got me laughter or joyous laughter?
POOF!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
I hate to be a wet blanket guys but I don’t know but I don’t think I entirely agree with this whole idea of tom foolery and magic should be fun thing. To put it bluntly we don’t want the public to start regarding magicians as bunch of clowns. We do not want people to think magic is funny. Do we? I have no objection to a magician doing something funny or saying something funny and making me laugh. I can’t explain it but there is something about this idea I do not like. I don’t want to hear people saying: Wow that magician was great I could not stop laughing all night. Or Let’s go and see a magic show that magic stuff is so funny.
Maybe it is just me but it just don’t feel right to me.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Quote:
On 2006-04-18 19:10, tommy wrote:
I hate to be a wet blanket guys...

Then don't be one.

Glen was saying that this is what better suits him and audiences seem to like it.
Clint Eastwood had a line in a movie, "Man's gotta know his limitations."
Know your character type and play within agreeable criteria, otherwise your audience might think that your "serious" act is a comedy.
POOF!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20968 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Once I learned to fake sincerity I was much better off.

I do agree that it helps to actually be having fun. The secrets to the show we do here is to have more fun than anyone else in the room. Matt Schulien, Charlie Schulien, they were masters of it.

It helps. BUT do you thing great actors are smiling because they are happy and crying when they are sad? Well let me help. No. This is indeed why it is called acting.

I will never forget watching something about "Good Will Hunting". Mini Driver's charector was at the Dog Track. They mentioned how she was really betting and they had to film her when she actually won money. The simple thought occured to me, "she is such a bad actress that they had to wait to film it till she actually won!". Wouldn't an acomplished actor actually have been able to convey the mood of winning without winning? I mean really isn't that their job?

Do you think every comic is in a good mood telling jokes?

So yea genuine smiles help. BUT being able to fake them really helps, when you do about 10 shows a week.

Just my opinion. Hope it was nice enough and dosn't ruffle too many feathers.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-04-18 19:10, tommy wrote:
we don’t want the public to start regarding magicians as bunch of clowns. We do not want people to think magic is funny. Do we?

No, we don't. That's not what I mean when I say magic should be fun. The magician should enjoy the performance. That's where I'm at.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
The only two magic clowns I liked were Rebo the clown (Bev Bergeron) from the Magical Land Of Alakazam and Wizo from Bozo Circus.

I have seen a few clowns in circus do magic from time to time but they are just a bit followed by another bit. Magic as almost sight gags.

Some magicians do comedy and get laughs. Some magicians do humor. Humor is softer as comedy is hard like a pie in the face. Humor in not necessarily telling jokes. I myself love doing humor as situation comedy. Making the audience the stars of the show instead of the fools.

Carter the great once said that a magician should strive to make his audience laugh because when they laugh you are sure they are pleased. On the other side of things Dai Vernon once said that laughter born of magic is the only kind of laughter that should be in a magic show.

I do not know who is right or wrong but it is interesting what people say.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What specifically do you like about magic?
What specifically do you want them to like about magic?
How specifically do you wish to offer them that experience?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5135 Posts

Profile of landmark
Nice posts, Jonathan. keeping the thread on track.

Jack Shalom
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2006-04-18 12:21, bishthemagish wrote:
Some magicians think that we do not take magic seriously enough. Some say (like me) that we can take magic to seriously. To me magic and entertainment is fun light hearted entertainment.

I believe there is a distinction between taking the art seriously and having a serious personae.

Mac King, for example, has a very light-hearted personae, but I believe he takes the art of magic quite seriously.
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of The One
Exactly... the magic itself must be taken seriously.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4358 Posts

Profile of rannie
Magic itself must be taken seriously indeed, but let us not forget to hang the cape and the hat once in a while to get in touch with the world. I have seen so many magicians who have forgoten how fun life outside magic can be as well. Some lived in it too long until they start to get sour with it. It could be routinary, depending on the magician's personality and diligence.

Salvano said that we must enjoy life. One day we just might find ourselves very old and say, " I worked for what now?"

If we step out and smell the grass once in a while, we might just pick some sincerity outside your basic showbiz world.
Hopefully , inject it in our performances.

Magic itself is enjoyable. Once enjoyment is lost , the sparkle and the enthusiasm diminishes with it. Once these signs creep in, I humbly think , its time to step outside and perhaps take a positive break. These are signs of unhappiness. It may even rub on to fellow magicians in the act. Even in the community.

It is always good to be critical, but too much can take away the SINCERITY. All these information, ideas and opinion are actually useless if the magician refuses to have an open mind about other means and reasons for things.

Another thing to consuder too is the generation. Back in the day, magicians had to be chgarming and suave. The generation of today may think otherwise. I persaonally enjoy elegant magic like those of the greats from the past. We must remember though tahat we are living today. I have been in show business for 23 years as an actor, singer, musician and director and a magician and I have seen this problem closely. I have directed most if not all the magic shows in Manila from the the early 90's. I too have fallen victim to not going with the wave of the generation. Of course I have learned from those earlier experience.

Comedy, being funny, gags, jokes heck, even that sincere smile, have a new look, language and what not to todays audiences. We must research the demographics, if we are to to deliver fun and enjoyment.

Rannie
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I think it was Tony Randall who said, "Comedy's a serious business."
POOF!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-04-19 12:54, rannie wrote:

Salvano said that we must enjoy life.

Smart guy.

Posted: Apr 19, 2006 3:32pm
---------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2006-04-19 15:25, kregg wrote:
I think it was Tony Randall who said, "Comedy's a serious business."

Another smart guy. Smile

"Find balance."- magicalaurie Smile
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
My opinion is that the learning of magic skills should be taken seriously.

The keeping of magic secrets should be taken more seriously.

The performance of magic can be taken seriously or not. Don't be to serious that we can't laugh at ourselves or our own art. Magic is accepted in this world as an entertainment.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-04-19 17:11, bishthemagish wrote:
My opinion is that the learning of magic skills should be taken seriously.

The keeping of magic secrets should be taken more seriously.

The performance of magic can be taken seriously or not. Don't be to serious that we can't laugh at ourselves or our own art. Magic is accepted in this world as an entertainment.

Hear, Hear!!
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Tom Foolery (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL