We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » "Scratch Hologram" effects? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Psy-Kosh
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
135 Posts

Profile of Psy-Kosh
Here's something I've come across, not in a magical context, but it occurs to me that there's _got_ to be some cool magic that can be done with this: http://amasci.com/amateur/holo1.html

Literally handmade holograms, produced by carefully scratching plastic or glass or whatever. I dunno, maybe a fun idea would be to have a sheet of glass out or something, do a card or whatever reveal by turing on a bright light and having the spectator gaze into the glass and see the prediction? Could be fun... "Hey, I know, how about _you_ gaze into the scrying glass..."

Anyways, I figured that there's got to be a goldmine of effects one could do with this sort of thing.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
In the past magicians were always in step with the lasted stuff of science but it seems today they are out touch so good on you. Thanks.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Psy-Kosh
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
135 Posts

Profile of Psy-Kosh
Well, I didn't yet come up with many ideas, just figured that there _HAD_ to be magical stuff that can be done with this. I've played slightly with it just to see how it works, does work, though it's hard to do, (you want a smooth scratch, more like an indentation, and each curve corresponds to a single point, so you need lots to do a reasonable object, but, well, yeah, it's begging to be used magically.)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
You can encode words, playing card designs etc in sheets and switch the sheets as you need in routine.

Just another place to say "and here is" for your revelations and if brave, can make routines where different people see different things.

If someone wants to tool up to make these, probably a market for them.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Psy-Kosh
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
135 Posts

Profile of Psy-Kosh
Different things seen from different angles should be doable by using incomplete curves (basically that let's you create "opaque" objects) but it's tricky.. But actually may also allow for an effect in which at first when they look in your "scrying glass" they see nothing, then later, well, whatever it is.

As far as tools, well, for doing it by hand, Bill Beaty recomends a divider, but some sort of mechanical autoholoscratcher may be possible. (Though at that point may as well just use lasers and such and produce custom interference holograms... This is more a way to cheeply produce white light holograms that contain whatever you want)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » "Scratch Hologram" effects? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL