The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Glass Mirage by Alex Lourido - My Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Fandango
View Profile
New user
England
69 Posts

Profile of Fandango
Glass Mirage by Alex Lourido – My Review

After quite a lot of speculation on almost every magic forum I went to, I decided to help out by buying the effect and submitting a full review.
Before I start, I would just like to say that I love the product itself, despite any negatives in this review.

Clarification Regarding the Demo Video
OK, as it has already been said (so I’ll try not to spend too long on it), do not buy this effect purely based on the demo video. Although all of the effects are possible, they are not quite as simple as the video makes out. There is quite a lot of post production help on the demo video.

What You Get
You get the gimmick (which I can only assume is in some ways similar to the bottle thru table gimmick, although not owning the bottle thru table I wouldn’t know) and an instructional DVD put into 3 sections:
Performance
Shows you once again the disastrous demo video, and then several (11?) effects that can be done with the GM gimmick. The different tricks, whilst all good, do all seem a bit similar, but not by too much. If you’re worried about not being creative enough to come up with your own original presentation for this, don’t be, Alex gives many varied ways to use certain moves (thus the effects all seem similar, but different at the same time). Includes tips for the best possible maintenance of GM. If anything, this goes on a little too long.
Breakdown
This is where GM really excels. The most important thing here, I feel, is Alex’s great enthusiasm for his latest product. I know what you’re thinking, and know he’s not too enthusiastic. I think he is very thorough and at the same time nicely engaging and interesting. He shows you ways to make GM extremely convincing, with all of the subtleties described in detail. This is great teaching and easy to learn from.
Bonus Material
This is only one effect, using the GM and a pack of cards. I love the effect, and showed it to a group yesterday to great applause. Essentially, the spectator picks a card, and then they can shuffle it into the deck. After that, the performer pulls off a bottle cap with his bare hands before sealing it back on to the bottle. Amazingly, when the bottle is opened and the contents poured out, their card is seen stuck to the inside of the bottle. For my performance, I adjusted it so that Glass Mirage was not used at all, meaning that the bottle was never opened.

Trick List
Glass Time Machine – The basic thing. You display an opened bottle, and tip it upside down to show its empty, then seal the cap back on and open it up to show it magically refilled.
The Recycler – You place a silk over the top of an open bottle, and when it is removed, the top is magically sealed back on – A nice twist on the basic plot, but not something I would use
A Few Oz’s Light – You drink a few ounces of beer from a bottle, before sealing it back up – My least favourite effect, it just doesn’t seem magical enough for me
Liquid Defiance – The problem with bottles is that you need a bottle opener to access the delicious beverage inside, and so by building up the muscles in your fingers, you are able to take the cap off the bottle bare handed! Then, by holding the cap just underneath the bottle, you can turn it upside down, and the positive charge on the cap and bottle hold all the liquid in place, and finally, guess what? The bottle is shockingly sealed and full of liquid – This is very practical for impromptu routines and the trick that I like best
Liquid Defiance II – Pretty much the same plot as Liquid Defiance, except that some of the beer trickles out
Ergonomic Bottle – You (contrary to the demo) start with a bottle neck-up in your pocket, but with a little rub, it turns neck down – Although arguably the most visually stunning trick, this is just not practical for me, although Alex does give you some ideas to make this a little more spontaneous
Tricky Tin Cap – You take a bottle and uncap it with your bare hands before making the cap disappear and then reappear on the bottle – A nice little quickie that I can definitely see myself performing when someone wants to see a trick
Vanishing Bottle – A bottle is placed in an empty bag and then the bag is screwed up, the bottle has vanished! – It’s an OK routine under the right circumstances, but definitely not an impromptu thing. After it’s vanished it’s up to you whether to make it reappear again (by your own method), or to keep it as a free gift.
Kid Stuff:
Taffy Neck – The neck of the bottle bends until it is at almost a 90° angle! – Well, I’m sure it could give the game away to adults, but kids love it
Goose Neck – You stretch the neck of a bottle to up to twice its original length – I’d give this the same comment as Taffy Neck, kids love it

Conclusion
I’ve really enjoyed performing this, however I realise it’s not for everybody. There are even some nice effects in the section you’d least expect nice effects to come from. The teaching, as I said before, is really the strength of this trick. Also, don’t let the “noise of pressurisation” become a major reason for the purchase of this gimmick, I can’t really say why, just don’t buy GM and assume that your audience will get a great audio experience with it. One more thing, you might want to get some Guinness bottles, as a few of the effects require the spectator not being able to see through the bottle.
Sean W. Burke
View Profile
Loyal user
Washington D.C.
298 Posts

Profile of Sean W. Burke
Bravo, nice review.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Thanks Fandango, great job!
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1573 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Thanks for the review.

I am afraid that regardless how how good or bad the actaul trick is I would NEVER buy this based soley on the fact that the demo video is a flat out lie and misleading.

Things like this and the Pen thru Arm demo video lie to people to make the effect seem better than it is. For exampel switches made and then we are lied to and told no switches are used.

I cannopt support creators who resort to lieing to sell product. There is no other legit industry in the world that would allow this and I for one will NEVER support people with this type of practice.
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
I have to agree. A lot of tricks sell without a video, if you cant do a good one, don't bother at all.

I think that what he should have done. The trick don't sound to bad, but he has got a lot of negative feedback which will probably not help sales. Had he left the video out, this could sell better than it will.

I know the general rule is you buy the secret, but if you really went in to it, could you actually sue someone for lying in their advertising?
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
Of course you could I think. You bought the effect you saw, and yet I'm guessing with the gimmick he does not teach you how to switch things out of camera.

Oh, great review, thanks, made me think about it now Smile

Daz
mikep
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
327 Posts

Profile of mikep
I am curious about one thing, can you tell me if teh effect on the demo is taught and if so, is it practical??

the one where he opens the bottle, pours out liquid to fill a glass, seals and reopens the bottle, and pours the liquid out again.

I will buy if this is possible, if not please let me know, thanks
magicxman
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of magicxman
Quote:
On 2006-04-19 17:10, teevtee wrote:
Thanks for the review.

I am afraid that regardless how how good or bad the actaul trick is I would NEVER buy this based soley on the fact that the demo video is a flat out lie and misleading.

Things like this and the Pen thru Arm demo video lie to people to make the effect seem better than it is. For exampel switches made and then we are lied to and told no switches are used.

I cannopt support creators who resort to lieing to sell product. There is no other legit industry in the world that would allow this and I for one will NEVER support people with this type of practice.

100% agree with you Teevtee , after I received the Pen Thru Arm from Hank Lee I immediate wrote to Hank about the misleading video demo. And I never support anythings that created by Jesse Feinberg.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
From your description I believe I may have figured this one out but I am curious what the gimmick is made of and how it is manipulated.

Is it hard to conseal the gimmick?

Derek Merdinyan
mikep
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
327 Posts

Profile of mikep
If someone can answer my question above that would be excellent...
Fandango
View Profile
New user
England
69 Posts

Profile of Fandango
Quote:
On 2006-04-19 23:14, mikep wrote:
I am curious about one thing, can you tell me if teh effect on the demo is taught and if so, is it practical??

the one where he opens the bottle, pours out liquid to fill a glass, seals and reopens the bottle, and pours the liquid out again.

I will buy if this is possible, if not please let me know, thanks

The effect is possible, and although not taught in great detail, can be worked out usig your imagination, however, it will require a couple of thigs that I do't really want to talk about here. Is it practical? Not really

Quote:
Is it hard to conseal the gimmick?

Nope, the gimmick is very easy to conceal, just pick one or two of the many methods shown on the instructional DVD
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3940 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I do not have this particular effect but reading the above-mentioned posts, I was thinking of a way to help conceal the method and to assist in the s..... Show a plain paper bag. Open it and remove the bottle (with the gimmick). Show that the bag is empty. Pour out the liquid into a glass and show that bottle is empty. Then put back the bottle (and the gimmick) back inside paper bag. Then say something like, "I am sorry for being so rude. Let me pour you a glass but I am all out of soda (beer, etc.). Then say something like, "Well, maybe I can fix that." You then remove the bottle from the paper bag leaving the gimmick inside the bag. You crush the bag (and the gimmick)and toss the bag aside or throw it into your close-up bag. You show that the bottle is re-sealed with the cap and when you open it up again, you are able to pour out another glass of liquid for your host or hostess.

The bag will provide a natural cover for the "s....." and will provide a natural and easy way to steal away and ditch the gimmick.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
sfmiraj
View Profile
New user
san fransicko, CA
45 Posts

Profile of sfmiraj
Magicinsight,
very interesting and pragmatic idea. simple but effective.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3940 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On 2006-04-20 15:35, sfmiraj wrote:
Magicinsight,
simple but effective.

That is exactly what my wife tells me.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
sfmiraj
View Profile
New user
san fransicko, CA
45 Posts

Profile of sfmiraj
Magicinsight,
very interesting and pragmatic idea. simple but effective.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3940 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Anyone who uses Neilson vanishing bottles will know exactly the reasoning behind my thoughts of using a plain paper bag for this effect as well. While it would of course be "better" to do the effect that is shown on the demo video without a paper bag, but a plain paper bag that is shown empty after a single bottle is taken out and then is crushed and discarded is, I believe, very effective and totally innocent in appearance to accomplish this particular effect. The use of a plain paper bag for this specific effect eliminates the necessity of hiding the gimmick with your hand and of ditching the gimmick without fear of getting caught.

Best regards,

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Fandango
View Profile
New user
England
69 Posts

Profile of Fandango
Right, time for some unedited film...

1. In this, I take the bottle, pull the cap off with my bare hands and place it in my pocket while a silk is placed over the bottle, then the cap disappears only to reappear sealed back on the bottle
Glass Mirage + Silk

2. And this one is Liquid Deception, the whole rubbing on shirt thig is some rubbish about positive charge, don't worry about that. Pull of cap with bare hands, positively charge cap & bottle, restore cap on to bottle after it vaniches
Liquid Deception
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Loyal user
Santa Barbara, CA
294 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
I will have to wait till I get home to watch these. I cant access the site from work Smile Any more videos you can share would be great. Since I work for a beverage distributor, this might be a great effect for me Smile
thePyramidWithin
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of thePyramidWithin
Those vids aren't working for me....there's just an x on the top left corner....
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Work fine for me and basically confirm what I thought originally...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Glass Mirage by Alex Lourido - My Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL