The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Glass Mirage by Alex Lourido - My Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1573 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Wow...

I don't want to hurt any feelings here but that effect really looks poor. it is just so incredibly obvious what is happening that I am not sure if it would fool anyone, maybe with some real practice but I will take a huge PASS on this one.
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
Dude, you have the guiltiest looking right hand I've ever seen on a magic demo. Even if it was empty, it raises giant red flags.
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1573 Posts

Profile of teevtee
What, the clenched fist that never moves and looks like it is holding something even when possibly empty... THAT looks guilty? Come on.
RabbitsRevenge
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of RabbitsRevenge
I have a great idea!
How about a new Café policy.
Every Café member who bags on another members magic abilities, such as seen in video demos, is required to post a video demo of themselves performing magic as it should be done.
oh yeah...and maybe we can bag the anonymous posts and require all members to use their real names.
Sure would make conventions a bit more interesting Smile
RR
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 02:42, RabbitsRevenge wrote:
I have a great idea!
How about a new Café policy.
Every Café member who bags on another members magic abilities, such as seen in video demos, is required to post a video demo of themselves performing magic as it should be done.
oh yeah...and maybe we can bag the anonymous posts and require all members to use their real names.
Sure would make conventions a bit more interesting Smile
RR

I agree. The man is simply trying to help out all those that thought they wanted to see a real time demo.

I think most of you just love being negative.

Thank you Fandango for your time and trouble. Please don't let the anonymous jerks get you down,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Sean W. Burke
View Profile
Loyal user
Washington D.C.
298 Posts

Profile of Sean W. Burke
The Magic Café:
Magicians Helping Magicians, by insulting them instead of trying to provide helpful suggestions.

Thanks Fandango for the video, don't take these guys too seriously - keep working at it man.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Thanks Fandango for posting something useful and we get to see it in an actual performance rather than the edited demo.
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Fandango
View Profile
New user
England
69 Posts

Profile of Fandango
A huge thank you to all those who have come to my defence

I realise that many of you had worked out the method anyway, and so the "guilty" looking video proably came as no surprise. However, I have performed this trick many times over the last few days, and it has never been spotted, I can't see how, but as long as no-one has seen it, I don't really mind!

And I suppose I should probably thank for the criticism in the name of manners Smile
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
You can't please them all Fandango. Thanks for the video!
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Fandango, thanks for sharing the video with us. Disregard the negative responses when all you were trying to do was give us a demo video of you doing it. If you were the creator trying to sell it then they should critique it.Thank you.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1573 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Oh for God's sake lighten up.

I think it is very funny how Fandango himself did not even get bothered by the 2 comments and yet a flood of "ignore those comments" posts came rushing in.

I meant no harm, I sincerely do apologize Fandango if your feelinsg were actually hurt. There is such a thing as contructive criticism and for what it is worth you could probably improve your performance by being aware of what other people see and then working to make it look better.

My first comment was not even directed at Fandango but was rather a comment about the effect in general. My second comment was simply agreeing with another poster that pointed out how the clenched fist might not be the best way to perform this.

Heck, I actually agree with everybody that it was nice of Fandango to take the time to post the video but I really think people are being too sensetive here, nothing really bad was said and certainly no harm was intended.... it's all in fun. There is a HUGE difference between a sort of kidding around with fellow members and some sort of viscious attack.
RabbitsRevenge
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of RabbitsRevenge
Teevtee,
It is always interesting to see folks backtracking after posting "constructive criticism". The problem is the delivery/phrasing in this forum. I see no excuse for the previous posts. They were not "constructive criticism". They were a straight attack. Sure Fandango took it well and that is great. It does not mean he deserved the bagging. If you truly mean to be lighthearted then post a smiley face after the comment and ADD some "constructive criticism" as well rather than just the bagging.
RR
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
On 2006-04-22 11:37, teevtee wrote:
Oh for God's sake lighten up.

If you have a problem with his performance pm him which wopuld be more beneficial than posting his performance.

[/quote]
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1573 Posts

Profile of teevtee
RR:

First of all I am not asking for your forgiveness or making any excuses whatsoever, so please do not take my last post as such. I 100% stand behind my original comments, no back tracking here AT ALL. I posted nothing wrong, I did not "bag" of Fandango and trust me, if it were a "straight up attack" it would have been VERY different.

I do not tend to use little smiley faces and stuff. We are adults, not 3rd graders. You either understand a kdding around post or you do not, I am fine with it either way.

I do not attack people in open forums, it is just no my style. I DO however offer critiques and I joke around and I am often sarcastic... I admit that is not always easy to get across or to understand in thw writen word. but again, what I said was the truth and it was not inteded to be hurtful. I don't think in fact that Fandango was hurt. I was not even the person who strated the comments o the performance, I simply agreed with what a previous poster had said.

Again I really do apologize IF I hurt fandago's feelings because frankly I don't want to hurt ANYONE'S feelings or cause harm in that way, but I don't think feelings were hurt. For God's sake, is this world so over sensetiv e and PC that a negative comment can NEVER be uttered, even if it is the 100% truth AND constructive.

give me a break.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 13:25, teevtee wrote:

give me a break.

Have a Kit-kat
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Fandango
View Profile
New user
England
69 Posts

Profile of Fandango
And it all started out as a simple review! My feelings are not hurt, as the problem of the bottle neck is a problem with the trick itself, not my performance (although I realise I could probably improve that and deal with the problem), also as long as the people I perform for don't notice it, I don't see a problem.

As for all those who spoke in my defence, thank you again, but I've heard worse, and these are just words, they're not gonna get me down.

When posting a video, you have to expect the good and the bad, the criticism (although it could have been put more constructively) was only to be expected.

I think it's all been blown out of proportion. I'm a pretty upbeat guy, and don't get depressed too easy. I'd say that it's all gone too far, and I'd like it to end now. Whether it does or not remains to be seen.

My feelings have not been hurt, and I'm very comforted and happy with the level of support, so let's leave it there, huh?
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1573 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Done
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
Sheesh- I'm one of the ones that "dared" point out the glaringly obvious and I can't believe what thin skins some of you seem to have?! I made a simple statement of fact, a fact that I think the person who is trying to sell this effect would want to know- perhaps I should have PMed Alex instead but my understanding is that the Café is a place for reviews and this is a product under review. Furthermore, the quality of the demo videos is frequently cited in threads such as these. I didn't say it in an unkind way and I wasn't attacking anything. Does anyone dispute my observation? I didn't say he sucked, his trick sucked or any other kind of ad hominem attack- his hand looked guilty- that's it. Wouldn't Alex sell more with a better demo? It was distracting and I thought it worth noting. I'm glad Alex's feelings aren't hurt. Criticism is not a bad thing, folks. We all need to deal with it and learn from it.

teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1573 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Kamus:

From my understanding (and I may be wrong) the person who made the demo vide is NOTthe creator, he simply made his own demo to show people the effect. I was confused about this as well. Now I STILL don't think we said anything wrong or attacked anyone but perhaps this explains the gross over reaction.
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
OK, yeah that passed me by too. And I agree with the rest of your statement. Thanks for the clarification.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Glass Mirage by Alex Lourido - My Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL