The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Trickey Situation! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Hi guys, i am due to be performing some close up walkaround magic at a funkey lounge bar. The are 4 problems i have though-

1) I am not too good at dealing with roudy drunks and as its a bar i might be in trouble as i am only 16.- any tips.

2) I am youst to performing in Restaurant with tables that come to my waist, here there is mostly couches and so how shall i layout cards etc.

3) I am quite tall and most people i have to peform to are slumped on couches, i dont want to tower over them whilst i perform. I want to be at their level but still a nice distance from them to control my acts.

4) Many people are sat at the bar and as i am only 16 i cant be behind the bar, how do i grab their attention and get them to turn around?

ANY TIPS OR IDEAS Smile WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED,

thanks,
matthew
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
3) I am quite tall and most people i have to peform to are slumped on couches, i dont want to tower over them whilst i perform. I want to be at their level but still a nice distance from them to control my acts.

You could try carrying a stool around to sit on while performing.
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
yeah- it just might be a little inconvenient to carry around though. - Any one had any of these problems? Smile
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
Don't feel you HAVE to perform for drunks. Although in my exp (I'm a college kid and go to parties were I see a lot of drunks) DRUNKS LOVE MAGIC. They don't get roudy or unruly really. They do get exceited. So do you and I. Not only are they easier to fool, they more appreciative and REALLY forgiving if you mess something up. However, if something happens or you come across an agry drunk, just move along. You don't need to deal with that. Its not your job. That needs to be handled by bar tenders, bouncers, and manegers.

~Spiff

As for cards tricks, you might not be able to do them. I'm sure you have tons of other stuff you could do. Also, you can have people hold out thier hands as a sort of table. WARNING: Drunks will drop cards!. This does however get them involved.

When at the bar try catching people's eyes. Or slide up next to them and ask the bar tender for a glass of water. While your next to them ask ifd they'd like to see something cool. Once one person goes "OH MAN WHAT WAS THAT" everyone else will want you to come show them. It'll be easy to say, "Let me come over and show you". You've now successfully moved to a new person. Or say "I'll come over and show you ina amin.". You cna then finish your routine and have an in for who to do it all over agian with.

~Spiff
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
4) Many people are sat at the bar and as i am only 16 i cant be behind the bar, how do i grab their attention and get them to turn around?
---------------------------------------------
For the bar scene The Fire Wallet gets their attention real quick. You can ask for some matches then remember that you have some in your wallet... flames leap out and "boom" you have them.
The old "excuse me you have something on your shirt" then proceeding to pull off a glowing ball of light gets attention real quick. Bars are what d-lites were created for!!! If you don't have a set, get them.
Flash Paper to anything will also get their attention.

As A Last resort there is always the really rare and untried technique of just walking up and introducing yourself. Be careful though this is a revolutionary new idea that could be dangerous!!!!

He He He

Mat
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Thanks guys- you have some real wisdom. I will put your ideas to the test on saturday.

I am going to get a fire wallet this weekend. What fuel should I use in it and how long will it hold for before i have to fill it up again?

Thanks for your advice,

matthew
Wesley
View Profile
New user
Sheffield U.K
56 Posts

Profile of Wesley
HAHAHA I am resident at one of UK's biggest dance clubs and have been working with a drunk audience for the past 3 years.

My advice to you is use their drunkeness as your advantage. Things can get a little roudy but try to be loud and confident and this I find keeps them quiet in fear that you may make a fool of them if they get cocky!

There will be no tables but you can still do some great card tricks such as ambitious card and invisible deck but I find people in bars and clubs are much more impressed with tricks with their posessions such as ring flight. AND you cant work a bar without doing 'Healed and Sealed' Coin and cigarette tricks are good too.

Good luck mate! P.S you from England?
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
cheers for the tips. yeah- im from london. where are u from? Smile
Wesley
View Profile
New user
Sheffield U.K
56 Posts

Profile of Wesley
Im from Sheffield mate. I am resident magician for Gatecrasher. And sometimes do Gatecrasher at Heaven in London. My email address is wesley@shotyou.co.uk feel free to email me for advice anytime.
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
cool- will do Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Trickey Situation! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL