The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The half pass...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Utkarsh Sinha
View Profile
Regular user
Goa, India
137 Posts

Profile of Utkarsh Sinha
I've heard of the half pass, but I don't know what it does. Can anyone explain what a half pass is used to do?
Want jaadu?!

"Reality is a mere illusion, although a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein

http://liquidmetal.in
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
It is used to reverse a card...

I do not think I can tell you much more...

Magically,

Tanner
Utkarsh Sinha
View Profile
Regular user
Goa, India
137 Posts

Profile of Utkarsh Sinha
Just that...? Then why is it called a "pass"?
Want jaadu?!

Kelvin W Sherlock
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Kelvin W Sherlock
With a pass/shift, you secretly cut the cards. With a half-pass, you secretly cut the cards, but half the bottom half of the deck is left face up.
Utkarsh Sinha
View Profile
Regular user
Goa, India
137 Posts

Profile of Utkarsh Sinha
Oh! Thanks Sherlock!
Want jaadu?!

Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1541 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 02:37, Kelvin W Sherlock wrote:
With a pass/shift, you secretly cut the cards. With a half-pass, you secretly cut the cards, but half the bottom half of the deck is left face up.

actually that is not always the case. It could either be used to reverse half of the deck, a few cards, or even a single card. It's a very useful move. I'd recommend learning Cody Fishers gravity half pass from his book "the paper engine". The move is angle proof and the hands appear to never move
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Correction to the above: Correct in saying that it was a Fisher who published the, 'Paper Engine', but it wasn't Cody. But Aaron. Aaron Fishers, 'The Paper Engine.' Smile Two different magicians. I get them confused all the time too. When I first met Aaron I remember thinking the whole time, 'Yeah- I'm going to meet Cody Fisher tonight', but alas it was this guy named Aaron. Ha, that was when Aaron was first making his book debut years ago!

Excellent book and highly recommended. I use the Gravity Half Pass from there all the time in daily card work. His book requires a hell of a lot of practice. I've been working with the book since it's debut- I'm still learning from it. Possibly one of the most interesting pieces I've picked up in years. I have a desire to learn and use everything. It's that darn useful! Good magic. Strong magic. Useable magic.

Aaron posts on here from time to time; may be in your interest to contact him:)

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
I've always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with The Paper Engine. Funnily enough, the assistant at the magic store where I purchased it didn't recommend it at all! Fisher's Gravity Half Pass, Decking the Top, The Undercover Switch, The All Together Now Shift are all nice... most everything else, including the tricks, are a little hit and miss and sometimes convoluted IMHO.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1541 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 09:30, TomaskoMagic wrote:
Correction to the above: Correct in saying that it was a Fisher who published the, 'Paper Engine', but it wasn't Cody. But Aaron. Aaron Fishers, 'The Paper Engine.' Smile Two different magicians. I get them confused all the time too. When I first met Aaron I remember thinking the whole time, 'Yeah- I'm going to meet Cody Fisher tonight', but alas it was this guy named Aaron. Ha, that was when Aaron was first making his book debut years ago!

Excellent book and highly recommended. I use the Gravity Half Pass from there all the time in daily card work. His book requires a hell of a lot of practice. I've been working with the book since it's debut- I'm still learning from it. Possibly one of the most interesting pieces I've picked up in years. I have a desire to learn and use everything. It's that darn useful! Good magic. Strong magic. Useable magic.

Aaron posts on here from time to time; may be in your interest to contact him:)

best regards,
Matt Tomasko

OOPS, thanks for the correction bud. I've been on a coin magic trip for the past couple of months and I guess I was thinking of cody fisher, when I did indeed mean aaron fisher. Both fishers are great! I think one of my favorite routines in the book is helter skelter, but its insanely differicult.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
It's simple. The Half Pass is used to reverse any number of cards from 1-51 on the bottom of the deck. It's not a 'pass' in the traditional sense of the word as the cards are not transposed. Thus, the 'half'. Best,
Brad Burt
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1541 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Very well put Brad
Utkarsh Sinha
View Profile
Regular user
Goa, India
137 Posts

Profile of Utkarsh Sinha
Can the half pass be used to reverse a single card in the middle of the deck too?
Want jaadu?!

kramerica2010
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of kramerica2010
There is an Ed Marlo move that accomplishes just that. Can somebody back me up with the name?
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
The Half Pass can be used for it as part of a sequence. Get selection to bottom of deck. Half Pass selection and then do a Turnover Pass or a Riffle Pass. That will put the card in the center reversed.

There are a couple of odd moves to reverse a card in the center of the deck and I also forget the names. Very difficult unless you have large hands for cover...at least the ones I have messed around with. Ken Krenzel has a good one I think...boy that's helpful! Best,
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The half pass...? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL