We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Daniel Garcia's "Greed" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Quote:
On 2006-05-02 18:17, vlaraway wrote:
Hey Dan,

I was just wondering... Say you borrow the $1 for someone, and do the switch... Then, after the routine, when you hand them the $.50, they check it out, but they still want their dollar back... If their an out for this problem? Is it described on the DVD?

Thanks!
-Vinnie

hey man... this is all explained n the DVD.. but for a short answer,

You have to feel out your crowd... sometimes I borrow...sometimes I use my own bill. It just depends on the audience that I perform for. I can honestly tell you,believe it or not, but I have NEVER had a laymen ask me for their dollar back after I take it from them. just play out your crowd

DG
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Okay guys, I remade my Greed Gimmick the other day, and the bank DOES take back the bills. Daniel is right when he says it will only cost you $7. Without saying too much about the way they're cut, one of them looks way too gone, but they DO take it back.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1336 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
If anyone has trouble cashing in the cut up extra bills just send them to me,
I'll take them!

ACE
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2111 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
ChrisSD, what did you say when you took them to the bank? Any story? Or just... Here, can I trade you?

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
From the website of the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing:
Quote:
WHAT IS NOT MUTILATED CURRENCY?
Any badly soiled, dirty, defaced, disintegrated, limp, torn, worn out currency note that is CLEARLY MORE than one-half of the original note, and does not require special examination to determine its value. These notes should be exchanged through your local bank and processed by the Federal Reserve Bank.

So if your bank doesn't want to take your partial bills, tell them the US gummint tells them they HAVE to and point them to this website:
http://www.moneyfactory.gov/section.cfm/8/39
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Thank airship for clearing that up....

I don't know why some people just wont believe me.

Daniel Garcia
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
Caedere
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Caedere
Quote:
On 2006-05-12 01:56, dg magic wrote:
Thank airship for clearing that up....

I don't know why some people just wont believe me.

Daniel Garcia

I'm seriously thinking about picking this DVD up - I just received my copy of Torn and I have to say that you're an awesome teacher. Smile
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Try This. If your a man have your girlfriend or wife go and get them changed. Have them go to a male teller. Its messed to say true but you would be surprised how somethings are just easier for them to do.
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Quote:
On 2006-05-09 11:14, Mercury52 wrote:
ChrisSD, what did you say when you took them to the bank? Any story? Or just... Here, can I trade you?

Kevin

I just went up to cash my paycheck and at the same time said "I have these bills, are they still good?" and the teller went back to check with her manager, and she took them.
Banks are always really good to their account holders, since they don't want to lose them. Without your money, they have none to loan, and then they just have nothing.

Money is money to a bank, they don't care if it's only half there.
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
290 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
To me, this routine is worth it just for the last line: "Don't be greedy."
Adam Green
New York, NY
djc89
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of djc89
Eh...it's only special if you know the name of the trick, which spectators don't. I think the magician gets a bigger kick out of the phrase than the spectator.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2111 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I think the line will work for specs.

They're expecting 50 bucks, instead they get a 50 cent piece. People should realize the gag, even though they don't know the name of the effect.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
djc89
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of djc89
I think that they understand your message, but they don't get pun/gag. The funny part is the phrase's relation to the name of trick. To specs...it's just a simple closing line/moral.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2111 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I agree that the line and it's relation to the name of the trick is good, and enjoyed by magicians.

But, you don't think that setting up the expectation for $50 and the resulting in 50 cents while saying "Don't be greedy" is funny? Comedy is all about setting up an expectation, and then doing something else. All the expectation is there, and they get a totally different result and the line plays well with it.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
chris311
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of chris311
I have the original greed manuscript but I still have another "can this be done in canadian currency" question. I'm still wondering if it is possible to only do a $5 then $10 then $20 then 50 cents therfore leaving out a step (the $1). if any canadians have figured out a way, could you please PM me with maybe some advice. I guess I can still use a $50 and change the presentation for it to work but I would rather not. thanks
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4282 Posts

Profile of Daegs
If you have the original manuscript then what is the problem? just leave out a phase!!!

it isn't rocket science to just leave out a piece and modify the gimick to only do 2 changes instead of 3.... or you could just start out with a blank piece of paper and "print" the 5 and continue.
chris311
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of chris311
Yeah. that sounds cool. I just thought it wouldnt hit hard enough if a phase was left out but now that I think about it, it probably wont really matter.

chris
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2318 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Does anyone have this yet?
JokersWild
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of JokersWild
Quote:
On 2006-06-01 22:45, Brian Proctor wrote:
Does anyone have this yet?

Well its coming out on the 13th so I'm guessing no... But I know some people have the lecture not verison of it.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2318 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Oops. I didn't know it was coming out on the 13th. I thought that Penguin would have it ready to ship by the 26th. My bad.
Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Daniel Garcia's "Greed" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL