The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Perfect opener for restaurant (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
...is a Sankey bit. He does this with a tear in a card. It's called "Nomad." He also does the move with an e-mail address. He calls that "Hotmail."

For restaurant work, ask the patron to write down, let's say, their fave dinner item on the menu on one playing card, then write their favorite dessert on another card. With Sankey's move on his "Firestarters" DVD, you can make their writing visibly move from one card to the next. You "wipe it" from one card to the next.

So that, in the end, you hand them one card -- which, on the face still has their first food choice and now, also, on the back contains their dessert choice -- because you "wiped it" there.

I haven't explained it well, but it's an eye-popper. When doing the move, always remember: never move the card you're wiping, if you know what I mean. And, seriously, check this out because it's a quick and startling opener.

fib
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
How did you like the DVD over all?
A lot of useful stuff?
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
This sounds like Tatto You by John Bannon.
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Sorry, I don't know the Bannon effect.

As for "Firestarters," it's very clever. Oh, the critics say Sankey uses sleights he's shown on previous DVD's and just uses old moves to create new effects. The critics are right. But the critics are into sleights, perhaps, and not real-world performing. Sankey's into performing. He's a smart cookie.

At his best, he develops and shares new THEATRICAL PREMISES AND APPROACHES that work -- that capture the minds of spectators and take them on a wild ride. I particularly like his quickies...one after another, you can build to a terrific climax -- a final killer -- and have a great routine.

For instance, do a bill switch into an ATM receipt with your name on it, showing you've just deposited their money into your account. [This is my approach to his "Fan Mail" trick."]

Continue with something he calls "Hotlink" from Firestarters, which I referenced above.

Then, onto "Paperclipped," where their signed card is the same as the one you have paperclipped on the table. Then uncap the marker they used to sign that card, and inside the cap -- they pull it out -- is their original dollar -- the one you started the routine with [This is from Sankey's friend Richard Sanders' "Assassin" video of about -- what -- seven years ago?].

All in all, That's a :45 to :60 routine. On the street, in a restaurant, at a party -- you do that -- and that's all you need. But be prepared -- because you'll hear cries of "Do more!"

Best, fib
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of glatner
Gregory Wilson has two great openers, one using a glass, and one with bounce-no-bounce balls. Forgot what DVD they are on..
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I don't know that this constitutes a typical openner for me, which must be:

Quick
Magical almost immediatly
Non-cards

Just my opinion! (I have used similar effect in the middle of sets)
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
What do you like to open with?

Best, fib
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The perfect opener is a letter opener. ha ha ha.
just kidding. it's a bottle opener.

no. just kidding again.
it's the trick I feel most comfortable doing when I approach,
regardless of anything else.

in fact, it's the exact opposite of bsears.

my opener is not quick, not magical immediately, and is cards.

though I was thinking of switching to an "all sankey, all the time" act.

So, fib... why is this effect the perfect opener for you?
What about it makes you want to do it first?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Thanks for asking, Frank.
At a restaurant, people usually like to order quickly -- not necessarily want to be entertained if they're especially hungry. So I ask them to write down their drink and appetizer with a marker on a face-up playing card... then on another card, the back this time, I write another patron's choices.

After a quick swipe -- a new "technology" or something, I say -- both orders end up on the same card -- front and back. Expedites the orders, I say, and I remind them the establishment is environmentally-friendly. We don't waste paper, ma'am. thanks, fib
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
That actually sounds like a hokey presentation. Maybe not.
But you could incorporate an attitude of "not-so-serious" into a card reading...holding a card they chose -- and etched on -- to represent the past and another they picked -- likewise marked -- to represent the future..and you bring past and future together, front and back. Something like that.
fib
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
After working at least 5 nights a week in bars and restaurants for several years I can tell you the way to go for me.

Either make them laugh or gasp within the first 30 seconds.

I can't imagine going into a poker deal or a long card effect. Then again, that's just me.

Some of the places I've performed in are loud so it's hard to get people to pay attention AT ALL let alone after talking for 5 minutes.

All the best,

Nathan
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Nate knows his stuff.
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of jezza
Quote:
On 2006-04-27 21:22, Nathan Kranzo wrote:
After working at least 5 nights a week in bars and restaurants for several years I can tell you the way to go for me.

Either make them laugh or gasp within the first 30 seconds.

I can't imagine going into a poker deal or a long card effect. Then again, that's just me.

Some of the places I've performed in are loud so its hard to get people to pay attention AT ALL let alone after talking for 5 minutes.

All the best,

Nathan

I totally agree it is very hard to get attention in noisy places ,
I have what I call my quickfire stuff for those situations
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Nathan makes a good point about the first thirty seconds.

The problem with cards in this effect is IMO that it takes to long to get to the magic, so the audience has no idea if you are any good or if you are just going to do the same lame card trick that uncle larry does.

I few open with:

bounce/no-bounce
purse frame
rubberbands
coins (production, flurry, etc)
sponges

Like I said - this card effect could be great, but would be more of a middle trick for me.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
I can't imagine going into a poker deal or a long card effect.

Me neither.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Quote:
On 2006-04-28 12:51, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:
I can't imagine going into a poker deal or a long card effect.

Me neither.

Good.

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Hello,
The opener that I always choose to perform is the "Quantum Bender". I approach the table with a quarter in hand and ask "Do you like money?" They say "yes", then I hand someone the quarter to sign saying "This is a gift for you". It quickly generates interest, & is a great "Ice breaker". If someone at the table tries to be funny by saying "No, I don't like money", then I'll say "ok, then I'll have to skip you today", everyone at the table laughs, & someone will always their hand outstretched, willing to take the quarter. Then I do the effect & give the bent souvenir to someone to keep while saying "this is now a lucky coin, if you keep it, it will bring good luck". This does several things besides being a great "Ice breaker". It is an extremely strong effect that establishes your credibility, creates desire to see more magic, they like you because you gave a gift, not just of money, but also of "good luck". Also all of the effects that follow are now strengthened because the audience knows that you are an expert in providing professional entertainment. Also, when your all done, the tips will flow very generously! It might sound crazy to walk around giving away free quarters, but trust me, it all comes back a thousand fold! In great tips, a great reputation, & many, many repeat bookings! Also, when I hand them a business card I say, "this is so you may remember where you got the lucky coin"! It doesn't come across as "Hey, book me". I hope this helps. It's always been great for me, I've done it this way thousands of times, and always with great success.
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
That's fantastic John! What a great way to approach people. Give them money. Who can say no to that?

All the best,

Kranzo

KranzoMagic.com
Magicshore
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of Magicshore
I'm a big fan of approaching a table with the purse frame and sponges. Second favorite is a bill switch routine. Both tricks happen rather quickly and grab the attention of the patrons.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I really like Chicago Suprise, by Whit Haydn (cards). I feel very comfortable doing it. It is not hard for me to do it as I have done it a million times and none of the moves are too extraneous. It is magical, suprising, gets lots of laughs, they want to see more, and the magic happens early on in the performance.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Perfect opener for restaurant (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL