The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hot Rod examination (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I have a real problem with the tricky little brass hot rod that does multiple color changes. And that is that it looks like a gimmicked thing. the little colored dots are recessed and appear to be moveable inside of the stick. I don't know how they work, but they strike me as more of a mechanical puzzle than a piece of magic.
The fun thing about a hot rod is that the audience instantly assumes the device must be gimmicked but since it isn't it provokes and withstands the most intense examination .
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Hmmm, the brass rod I have, although the dots are recessed, don't appear to be moveable. The appear to be recessed, painted dots. Also, mine does not do multiple changes... it does two changes only. I wonder if we have the same brand. Mine cost, as I recall, around $20.00, maybe more. The reaction I get with spectators is the same shaking and searching for a "button" that I get with the regular hot rod.

I just pulled it out of my case and looked really closely, with a magnifying glass... nope, the spots do NOT appear to be moveable. Sorry I don't recall the brand so I could tell you.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

I'm probably being too critical of it,
Perhaps my perception of the one I saw demonstrated was shaded by my understanding of the basic Hot Rod and maybe that is why the little recessed dots just didn't seem as convincing to me as the simple gems on a stick.
but if it does more than one color change, it does multiple changes. One is a single change, two or more does count as "multiple" changes.
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Quote:
On 2002-12-04 18:47, gtxby33 wrote:
I used to use Hot Rod, but I went up to Brad Burt's to get Twisted Sisters and bought a Fan-ta-stick. The color change is a lot better and they are only $3.50.

-Max
true they are cheaper and A little better looking but the tape loosens up and starts to curl which looks bad , not much of a problem for the hobbiest but I eat from this stuff and like my things looking good, I also carry two so I can repeat later (they always seem to forget that I counted or spelled, as a side note I find it amazing how many people when asked for a number from one to six say seven hahahaha

jeff
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2002-12-16 15:52, biff_g wrote:
I think it depends on your routine. There are obviously props that you can and can't give out. If you are doing a routine where you can't give out any of your props, then I wouldn't give it out unless you are finishing with it.

Very good point. I don't make a habit of handing out the things I work with during my act. It sets up a difficult expectation in the spectator and makes audience management difficult. "Hot Rod" though, for me, is more of a pocket trick.. a one shot bit I do not do as part of a routine.

Quote:
On 2003-01-06 21:30, Scott Ocheltree wrote:
I'm probably being too critical of it,
Perhaps my perception of the one I saw demonstrated was shaded by my understanding of the basic Hot Rod and maybe that is why the little recessed dots just didn't seem as convincing to me as the simple gems on a stick.
but if it does more than one color change, it does multiple changes. One is a single change, two or more does count as "multiple" changes.

Scott, you are right. Of course, "mutliple" means two or more and, therefore, is a marvelously vague word. Since we had discussed the rods making two changes, I thought you chose the word "multiple" to distinguish it from the two-change models.

I am interested in the "Dots-a-Lot" Rod, though, described above. That one sounds like it offers "more-than-two-multiple" changes. Hard to imagine.

Smile
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
JD, I believe the Hot Rod you have is called "The Magical Hot Rod" by Magic Makers. At least that's the one I have and it sounds like yours. I think I have every version of Hot Rod ever made and think the double brass model is great. One routine I use is to approach the table with the rod in hand already showing all blue dots.

I comment that I have been working on a new effect and would like to show it to them. Paying no attention to the rod, I ask them to select a color. Obviously when they can't, I show both sides of the rod and feign embarrassment, saying I made a mistake and just for practice, could I show them the routine again. Doing the turn over move in my fist, I change the rod to multi color showing both sides and proceed with the normal routine.

Of course the selected color is not blue so it appears another error has been made. Doing a little magic, I recover and turn all the dots to red. The brass model is so well made, I just let it be passed around the table. I have fooled some magicians with this since the dots on BOTH sides are now red, it eliminates the idea of a paddle move. I found it not that difficult to reset while walking around but impossible to discover the modus operandi.
Where the magic begins
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Yes, Dave, that sounds exactly like the one I have, right down to the red and blue coloration. And, yes, it has passed all examination. I like your routine with it. Thanks for sharing.

Smile
Cozener

Sjiwi
View Profile
New user
Belgium
57 Posts

Profile of Sjiwi
small beginner-remark : like Jeff, I can't help but being very surprised that apparently so few people (if any ?) notice how this is done.
To me, as a "having almost never performed in public" newbie, this seems to be one of those effects that look very "obvious"...
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

-Sjiwi:
The paddle move when correctly executed is VERY deceptive. That's why you see so many popular commercial effects based on it.
It is also very easy to do it incorrectly. The move should be executed by the wrist and fingers. You should have no movement from the elbow whatsoever. You should also make sure that you turn it over with a natural rythm, and don't flip it back and forth over and over again. Execute the move a minimum of times.
mcatalani
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of mcatalani
[quote]like Jeff, I can't help but being very surprised that apparently so few people (if any ?) notice how this is done[quote]
I think the reason they don't recognize the move is a problem laymen have with association. Many a layperson has seen or received a magic set, and many of these included the paddle trick (with the cute little bunny on it). So many a layperson is probably at least vaguely familiar with the move. If you whip out a bunny paddle on them, they might know how its done. But if you perform with a hotrod, then the prop is unfamiliar to them and they lose the association.

I use Michael Rappas "clear" pro hot rod. I have thought about performing a switch, but the effect is strong enough that I have never bothered doing it.

Michael
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2003-01-08 14:32, Scott Ocheltree wrote:
-Sjiwi:
The paddle move when correctly executed is VERY deceptive. That's why you see so many popular commercial effects based on it.
It is also very easy to do it incorrectly. The move should be executed by the wrist and fingers. You should have no movement from the elbow whatsoever. You should also make sure that you turn it over with a natural rythm, and don't flip it back and forth over and over again. Execute the move a minimum of times.

I use a variation from color changing knives. It is a paddle move that is done to "clean" the hot rod, NOT to show both sides. The hot rod is held in the left hand, middle finger at one end, thumb at the other, The right hand strokes the rod, with the thumb on the top and fingers below, thumb rubbing down the rod to "clean it." Then the right hand moves to the right, turns palm down and puts the thumb under the rod with fingers on top to turn it over, end for end, executing the move at that time. This leaves the thumb on top again to "clean" the rod. Don't over-do the cleaning bit. You are apparently just wiping fingerprints off. I don't even say anything about the stones. The spectator has just seen that both sides are the same. They don't need to be told what they just saw. The whole thing is done very matter-of-factly. The changes that are done later are done under the cover of a shake, not a turn.

Smile
Cozener

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Good advice, Scott and if you are using the brass model as JD and I have described, even if the idea of a paddle move is present with the audience, being able to examine the rod with the same colors on both sides dispels the notion and starts them thinking again.

JD, I like the cleaning move. Never thought of that. I'll have to give it a try.
Where the magic begins
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
JD, I like the cleaning move. Never thought of that. I'll have to give it a try.

Yeah, there is satisfaction in it. I pull out the rod, and do a little "tsk" sound as though I am slightly annoyed at the condition of my prop, without saying so. Then I "clean." Sometimes, I even first moisten my thumb slightly with a quick lick to help the cleaning..... AND that apparently unsanitary move also (sometimes) discourages people from wanting to handle the hot rod later!
Smile
Cozener

mcatalani
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of mcatalani
"Sometimes, I even first moisten my thumb slightly with a quick lick to help the cleaning..... AND that apparently unsanitary move also (sometimes) discourages people from wanting to handle the hot rod later!"

Ha! What a great idea. That would work with just about any prop, too. Maybe I could lick my mental photography deck to turn it to blanks, and then ask if anyone wants to examine the deck!

Michael
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Just a quick note about "the move". Me being the luckiest guy on earth, have a wife who is into magic a little and wanted to learn the hot rod. I taught her before going to "work" one day and upon return she showed me and said "I can see me doing the move". I told her I can see myself doing the move to but others can't. I still am amazed no one sees the Elmsley count, it just seems so obvius when I do it, and I guess it's the same principle.
Jeff
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
Quote:
On 2003-01-10 23:31, nums wrote:
Just a quick note about "the move" me being the luckiest guy on earth my wife is into magic a little and wanted to learn the hot rod, I taught her before going to "work" one day and upon return she showed me and said "I can see me doing the move" I told her I can see myself doing the move to but others can't, I still am amazed no one sees the Elmsley count, it just seems so obvius when I do it, same principle I guess

Jeff

I cannot tell the difference between my move and my non move... I do it right when the stick is vertical to the ground (when the stick is like a skyscraper to the ground). Also I do it extremely fast when the stick turns vertical and I also move my hand to palm up or palm down position VVEERRRYY slowly...

-Max
white hats rule.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Maybe I'm just too gullible, but I find my paddle move and my Elmsley count quite visually deceptive. They are sleights I enjoy perfoming because I can see the illusion too. It makes it easier for me to believe and thus, I think more convincing to the audience.
Sjiwi
View Profile
New user
Belgium
57 Posts

Profile of Sjiwi
I agree, it's indeed a very nice experience to see that you can deceive yourself Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I think something we all overlook when performing Hot Rod or doing the Elmsley count for example is that we are almost looking at the effect from backstage. We all know what the audience would see if they had that perspective when we perform most any effect. These types of effects are best practiced using a mirror to see exactly what the audience can see.
Where the magic begins
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
To help clarify the eirlier confusion about the multiple changing rods. I believe we are talking about two different tricks.

Here's a description of my performance with the "Dots-a-lot" Rod.

-Show six colors both sides
-spectator pick a color and rod changes to that color.
-Change back to six colors
-Another spectator picks another color (Usually I wait to do this part untill someone shouts..."do that again")
-the same rod changes on both sides to the second color.
-hand out the rod for examination.

My rod is gimmicked but will undergo the closest scrutiny. As I said earlier the only downfall is the resest. It only take a few moments, but you need a certain "tool" to reset it.

-jlareau
:bluebikes:
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hot Rod examination (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL