The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible deck problem (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Last night I was performing an effect with the invisible deck and on 2 occassions had more than one card reveal its self!!
it was a new deck.
it was slightly hot in the room -could this have effected the deck? (a theory from the other magician at the venue)
are there ways of preventing this?

I don't use a brainwave deck - is this more reliable?

thanks
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It could be the PRESSURE or lack of, when you grip and spread the cards. OR... you got a poorly made one. Are you near the dealer you bought it from? If so take it back and try another one.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Pete's on the money on this one. You could also just apply some roughing fluid to the cards that aren't staying together well.

Kaylan
Vater Araignee
View Profile
Regular user
MI
168 Posts

Profile of Vater Araignee
I know that this sounds a tad over cautious but, I make sure I have roughing fluid on hand before I purchase any rough smooth items.
It just saves you from the grief of getting a few bad cards.
"Good enough never is." - Vater Araignee
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Ok -i'll get some fluid,give that a go
thanks
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of scorch
You should thoroughly check out any new decks before you try to perform with them.

And no, the brainwave deck will not be any more reliable. It's based on the same principle and will be just as susceptible to this sort of thing, depending on the quality of manufacture.

I do not think the temperature of the venue would effect the workings of the cards themselves. However, it could be very possible that your hands were more damp than they usually are. Usually when people have complaints about the cards not separating very easily (a common complaint with the invisible deck), it's a matter of the dryness of their skin and not anything to do with the cards. So perhaps if the cards spread too easily, it is possible that you had more friction than normal with your fingertips against the cards.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Stick with the invisible deck, it is much better. And make sure you get a good one, then you shouldn`t have any such problem.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2831 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Yeah it's all about pressure. You have to live with the deck for a while to really understand how it works. Think sand paper.

The Braiwave pack is no different as already mentioned. Unless of course it was made by a different company, different cards, older, used more etc.

If it was a new deck and ou didn't apply enough pressure that's most likely what happened. Also check out alternate presenations using wax if you just can't handle the rough deck.

All the best,

Nathan
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Quote:
On 2006-04-23 14:25, Marco S. wrote:
Stick with the invisible deck, it is much better. And make sure you get a good one, then you shouldn`t have any such problem.

It's not necessarily better, it's just different.
late night diner
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of late night diner
Ive noticed too that not all invisible decks are created equal. At one time there used to be only the Don Alan brand, now I see there's a few company's putting them out (and there IS a difference on the quality/quanity of roughing fluid they use).
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-04-23 21:30, ziatro wrote:
Quote:

This has been discussed many times. It IS better! Try both on your audience and you will find out quickly.
Marcus K
View Profile
New user
Bay Area, California
96 Posts

Profile of Marcus K
And BTW, just to add some frosting to this discussion, check out the work Don Alan did with the Invisible Deck on the Greater Magic volume. Magnificent stuff. One idea was to put the cards in order... that's right, in numeric order, evens on one side, odds on the other so that you could go RIGHT to the face down card. The worst part of the ID for me is the obvious LOOKING that I have to do when, if the card were actually face down, I'd do a table spread. With the cards in numeric order, you can hit it fast every time with no searching at atll. As far as anyone noticing the order - what difference does the order make? Anyway, he said nobody ever noticed.

Have fun!

Marcus
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2831 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Karrell Fox has a great idea that Wayne Dobson uses where an Invisible Deck is used and the card's aren't gaffed! Brilliant!

In fact you don't even need a deck you can just have them name the card and it's the only card in an envelepe. Sorry for getting off topic.

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
akumasan42
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of akumasan42
I've yet to use it, but Richard Osterlind has a fantastic idea for the invisible deck in conjunction with the breakthrough card system, in which the spectator chooses a card, and the magician shows his prediction before the specs card is even seen by either magician or spectator. Easy and totally direct mentalism, couldn't seem fairer.
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
For what it's worth, I have noticed that the "Murphy's Magic Supplies" Invisible Decks have been VERY good. I believe it has a sleeve around it and I believe it has instructions by Daryl with it.

They are the best I have seen out there in a while.
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Quote:
On 2006-04-24 04:33, Marco S. wrote:
Quote:

Ziatro wrote

This has been discussed many times. It IS better! Try both on your audience and you will find out quickly.
[/quote]

Strangely enough Marco I've used both decks on many occasions, all with excellent results. If you are having problems getting an equally good response from a brainwave deck don't be frightened to give me a P.M. as I'm sure I can point you in the right direction. Now if you find this a patronising response then re-read your last comment on my post.
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Quote:
On 2006-04-26 16:23, ziatro wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ziatro wrote

Marco S. wrote

Strangely enough Marco I've used both decks on many occasions, all with excellent results. If you are having problems getting an equally good response from a brainwave deck don't be frightened to give me a P.M. as I'm sure I can point you in the right direction. Now if you find this a patronising response then re-read your last comment on my post.
[/quote]
strat1969
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of strat1969
Got my first ID from Ellusionst. Worked fine but most spectators assumed a 'trick deck' because it was a black deck. Got another from eBay that was standard bikes. Far fewer questions, stronger effect, and easier switch to get clean.

Finally realized that it would be cheaper to make my own and have done so for 8 months now. I have better control of the quality and save money.
ades888
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of ades888
Quote:
On 2006-04-24 15:50, Nathan Kranzo wrote:
Karrell Fox has a great idea that Wayne Dobson uses where an Invisible Deck is used and the card's aren't gaffed! Brilliant!

In fact you don't even need a deck you can just have them name the card and it's the only card in an envelepe. Sorry for getting off topic.

All the best,

Kranzo

Where's the best place to get the special "somethings" to perform the Wayne Dobson Invisible Deck?
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-04-26 16:26, ziatro wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-04-26 16:23, ziatro wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ziatro wrote

Marco S. wrote

[/quote]

Indeed, your comment is patronizing. I don`t need to be "pointed in the right direction", as you say. I repeat what I said. ID is not only different, but much better. Maybe you should do a search here and find out what I mean. The great majority of fellow magicians and also of the audience prefer the Invisible Deck, for various reasons. I don`t know who you are performing for.

P.S. You always post everything twice?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible deck problem (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL