The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rocky the racoon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Ok, so I got a rocky as a Christmas gift last year and I played with it for a litle bit here and there in my shows. Either just as a puppet or occasionally using him to find the card, A little wax on his nose and a marked card.

But does anyone have a really good routine that they use him in? He gets a great reaction from the kids, and even the adults when I bring him out and I would love to find any good tricks using him.

Mat
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Do a search on this site type in Rocky and SEARCH all forums. You'll find numerous discussions related to Rocky.
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I only use rocky for adults!
Phillip
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
I built a zig-zag tower and use it to cut Rocky into three pieces and then restore him. I think you can buy the effect somewhere, but it is probably not cheap.
Doug Smile
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
I know that Daytona Magic has a zig-zag for Rocky
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
Yes the effect was develpoed and sold by Roy Roth (RAR MAGIC) here in the UK. Roy was using the raccon here in the UK years before David Williamson made it popular. to be honest Roys routine is much funnier.
Phillip
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
138 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
For a rocky routine suitable for kids, check out the routine in Sammy Smith's book "Kiddie Patter and Little Feats". It always gets a big reaction when I do it for kids, even though there is no magic.
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Bilsby
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Bilsby
Hi All
My first posting.

I onced owned a rocky, but I got so many people asking me if it was real fur and if so how do you feel about using such a gimmick knowing it is real fur. So tell me please. Is it real fur? and if so is there one that does not have this problem popping up. Also if it is real fur, can you buy one that is just as good but not fur? Excuse me if it sounds like a real stupid question, but there you go

Kindest regards
:kermit:
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
138 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
If it was real fur, the price would be much higher! I usually get the question is it real? (From kids). You should have a come-back to this kind of question, like "Yes, it is real immitation fur!"
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
The Rocky I have is real fur and it sheds like heck! I don't have a problem with it considering that raccoons are near the top of the road kill list in my area.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Mine is real too and I must be on my 7th or 8th rocky as they tend to go bald on the bottom from running up and down your chest ext
Phillip
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
PA
244 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
The Magic Masters "Rocky Racoon" is made of real fur. It looks like rabbit fur, the tail is real I think.
I know a comedian who used a Rocky in comedy clubs that had a group of PETA people show up and protest his act. PETA called the press and the TV people showed up to expose someone abusing this poor animal. He performed, PETA went nuts, Then he showed the TV people that it was only a puppet. The story turned out to be about how PETA doesn't check the facts before it shoots off it's mouth. The comedian sold out the comedy club for the rest of the week.

If you have a problem with it being real fur then don't use it or use a Roxie Racoon. Roxie is a fake fur rip off of Rocky. It doesn't look real, but it still works.

I have featured Rocky in my act for 15 years with no complaints. I sell Roxies after the act. Both work well.

My advice is if you have a problem that it is real fur don't use it. Remember the old axiom. "When in doubt, leave it out."

Isaac Fawlkes
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of Snidini
I couldn't think of not using my li'l Rocky in any show I do. He is my star performer and gets most of the laughs, applause and I am sure if he could do autographs.....
Rocky is used like my personal assistant with mini illusions that I perform with him. I also use him with a zig zag, Asrah, mini morph trunk, sawing a Rocky in half and a few others that he stars in. He is introduced at the end of my kids show and usually will close the show by helping me perform mini illusions just as the "big guys" do it. Now if I could only get him to do the water torture cell.

Scott
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
You sound as if you've got Rocky working well for you Scott. I wish I could get to grips with mine. It's been sat in a box for about the last 10 years since buying it. Every so often I'll bring him out and mess around, but then it goes back in its box until the next time I decide to try to get used to it. Oh well, maybe one day he'll become a star like his owner.

All the best, Billy Smile
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
I do a Rocky card trick. A little fun tack on the tip of his nose helps him pick up the card.
victorkent
View Profile
New user
Narnia
76 Posts

Profile of victorkent
I produce my rocky and then do a short standup routine with him and I interacting. I use him to find cards. And with strolling he makes a great ice-breaker. I used him at a home for the elderly and everyone wanted to pet him and cuddle with him. He stole the show. Many thought he was real and just wanted to give him love. Rocky even got several kisses that evening.
-vk
John 3:16
http://www.victorkent.com
http://www.kentfamilyillusionshow.com
[email]victor@victorkent.com[/email]
magibrad
View Profile
New user
Canada
59 Posts

Profile of magibrad
So i was looking around and found a "roxie racoon" and a video for a cheaper price than rocky was....how is roxie different? and which is the better buy?

Thanks
-Brad
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
I have roxie and its just perfect...its an imitatation of rocky but I find works just as good! Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
I have roxie and its just perfect...its an imitatation of rocky but I find works just as good! Josh

Hi,
It is also in my opinion far less realistic,
and as it is made of a fur like matrial (like cheap car seat covers) it is somewhat stiffer to operate and losses some of the more subtle movements. Oh yes it also sheds the fur? a bit more. unless you have any moral objections to real fur I would pay the extra every time.

Phillip
oscar
View Profile
New user
Fred
11 Posts

Profile of oscar
I always use Rocky in the Zig Zag. It goes over big. Of course I tell the children not to do this at home. I got mine from Dayton Magic. I also use a mounth noise to make it sound that Rocky is hurting. Other animals I use are from Axtel, monkey, dog, bird, and the drawing board. All work out great.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rocky the racoon (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL