The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic's youth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
To some extent, I think this is the way things go naturally. Newbies go for flash, but over the long haul, substance wins out.

There are lots of "move monkeys," but I think most of us would rather watch Rene Levand do the 21 card trick.

In jazz, there are lots of hotshots who can play a zillion notes over the chord changes, but I'd rather hear Dave Brubeck play even just a few notes.

On American Idol, you see/hear lots of singers who go for the big notes and fancy runs. But how many can really "sell" a song, and make you feel it?

All in all, I'm not overly concerned. After all, wasn't the idea that magic is dying (and has been for 100 years) the theme of a recent well-known book? Smile

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Antino
View Profile
New user
South Florida
53 Posts

Profile of Antino
"However, I do have a problem with some of the attitudes of some of these younger enthusiasts. I hear it in the words they speak, and the vibe they give off. Perhaps for them, magic is a contest, a sport for the unatheletic."

I'm feelin this point like braille, cinemagician. I am just mad because some of the people that do magic and are my age are !@#$%.

Not entertainers, but straight up !@#$% !@# mages who have nothing else better to do than to IM me everytime they learn a new sleight, which is everyday. And when they ask me what I do know, and I tell them, they just say something implying that they know a better way to do it. I'm like; "What do you know about performing, style and orginality !@#$%?"

At least that's what I feel like saying. I'm seriously a peaceful person by nature, but this one mage is really ****ing me off with his arrogance

It's actually not all young mages, it's just one. This one guy. I'm not gonna say his name. but *** hez makin me generalize to the whole population of young magicians. I'm friends with a lot of young magicians, since I am one too, but this one guy is ruining my vision of them!
Antino
View Profile
New user
South Florida
53 Posts

Profile of Antino
Haha I'm young and I do flourish alot, but its what I'm feelin, so I stay true to myself and flourish away. to do otherwise wud be unsoulful. but I do focus on the entertainment value of my material for the audience. and I try to avoid all those popular E and penguin vids everyone buys. who wants to do an effect that a million other arrogant kids are doing? if I do buy something from there, I jess try to create it into something more original. art comes from within, not from biting other people's moves.

and wow do I hate that guy I know that has forever ruined my perspective on young magicians....

hez talking to me right now, too bad its online, otherwise I wud have thrown a card coated in a metal alloy at his neck.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Eugene Berger said "The House of magic has many rooms" and we will forever remain mindful and respectful of such for our sake and that of any audience.

Quote:
Haha I'm young and I do flourish alot, but its what I'm feelin, so I stay true to myself and flourish away. to do otherwise wud be unsoulful.

Well being true to oneself is a very rare quality. If you find this to be true of yourself now, then you are in a great place and room within that house of magic.

I've read your post regarding another who annoys you. Let him find his own place in the scheme of magic and only concern yourself with your own. If you choose to engage him with all the nonsense, I hope you are paid well for it. You are getting paid to put up with his combative and questioning nonsense are you?

Apply yourself to the art with all the loving hard work of a lunatic (yes you are crazy for doing this), don't fore go the advice of great teachers (you have to search them out), and perform only in a manner that elevates magic in the eyes of the spectator and public at large.

Always consider what the public's impression of magic may be if they see you perform and make adjustments accordingly. You already know you can so go do good.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Wesley James gave a lecture titled "Stop Fooling Me".

He stressed the significance of finding something more than mere "gotcha" to offer the audience.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Antino,

Always consider what the public's impression of magic may be if they see you perform. This is not about you as much as it is about them.

Don't believe me? Then from this day forward, perform for no one but yourself and be content. You may find yourself in the basement of that House of Magic.

Jonathan,

I'll check to see if lecture notes are available on Wesley James "Stop Fooling Me".
Thanks for the reminder.
Antino
View Profile
New user
South Florida
53 Posts

Profile of Antino
No one likes to be fooled. deception is almost like chaos, bcuz humans always want to be in control and know whats happening. I try to approach it as, invite the spectator to realize that they have the power to create realities with their thoughts. without thoughts, its all meaningless atoms floating around in space.

"Then from this day forward, perform for no one but yourself and be content. You may find yourself in the basement of that House of Magic."

^ I really like this randy. I'm so noticing I'm practicing two dimensions of magic: one is the artistic and the other the magical. the former satisfies my soul while the latter satisfies the masses. And from experience, I kno very well that whenever I try to be artistic with it, the audience leaves me stranded. I'm just hoping one day the two sides of my magic will meet so that one day I may truly call myself not a magician, but an artist.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You can't achieve art until you master the mechanics that enable you to produce it. Master means not only to be able to do them, but to control them. I've seen manip acts that spent about twice as much time making a single billiard ball run around their fingers in a steeplechase than was boring. A little of that goes a very long way.

I've seen guys who thought that the idea of a bird act was to produice as many birds as they could stuff into the nooks and crannies of their outfits. They came on stage looking like they weighed 225 pounds and left looking like they weighed 175. Their steals were flawless, but their presentation was flawed.

I watch Joseph Gabriel and am inspired. His act has structure, meaning, magic, mystery and art. He understands what he is doing.

But it takes training and discipline.

And you can't force "Art." Art will happen when you are ready for it to.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Quote:
On 2006-04-28 21:41, Antino wrote:

Not entertainers, but straight up !@#$% !@# mages who have nothing else better to do than to IM me every-time they learn a new sleight, which is everyday. And when they ask me what I do know, and I tell them, they just say something implying that they know a better way to do it. I'm like; "What do you know about performing, style and originality !@#$%?"

Yes, this can be just the kind of thing that can make you sick of magic. A good exercise is to read something inspiring and positive about magic that you know "those guys" will likely overlook due to their arrogance. Maybe Tarbell Vol 1. chapters one and two ???
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
Whilst I appreciate the points made, I do sometimes resent the view that, and certainly not just in magic, that all youths are bad because of X, Y or Z. And also, these sleight monkeys aren't really doing much damage to anyone except themselves, and if they're happy doing what they're doing I don't see a huge problem?
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
"Old age and wisdom will overcome youth and treachery.'

Then again, If the music is too loud, you're probably too old.
POOF!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic's youth (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL