The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Tips for applying roughing spray (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Hi
any tips, do and don'ts for applying roughing spray to an invisible deck?
thanks in advance
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1578 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Trickychris,

They make a roughing stick which is much easier to use and last a long time. I retouch my cards before each performance. Especially the invisible deck. They sell it at the magicwarehouse.com. Here is the direct link: http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=MI3515 . Good luck.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1907 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I found out from experience, don't over spray the cards. I thought more would be better. Boy was I wrong.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1578 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Over spraying probably warped the cards. With the stick you can never go wrong.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Apply a couple of coats of spray, that are barely there at all - cards should be sprayed with very light coats, so there is no running of the spray. Allow the spray to dry between coats.

It's too bad that the bottles of roughing fluid aren't available, now. It was so easy to stuff a cotton ball in the opening of the bottle and use it like a roughing fluid marker. That was the easy way to rough cards!
Binary
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Binary
Make sure the surface you spray onto is perfectly flat, and the surface they dry on is perfectly flat, otherwise the ink of the cards can smudge slightly.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
A lot of folks inadvertantly spray the entire back of the card.
It can help to make a mask out of an older card, with a rectanglular window cut into it, and only spray a portion of the back.
The result of this is that by applying pressure to different parts of the card back (say the centre only) you can put pressure on the centre and get the roughing action, or by holding pressure on either end, you will get no roughing action and your reveal.
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I made the mistake that silverking mentioned of spraying the entire back, which made them too difficult to spread apart. The solution that I came up with was to slightly overlap the cards on top of each other as I lay them out on the table prior to spraying them. I basically lay the cards so each card covers the white bordered edge of the card beside it. This has worked perfectly for me - the cards don't warp, and the spray coverage is just enough to make the deck work.
David Franklin
View Profile
New user
Jonesborough, TN
76 Posts

Profile of David Franklin
I would certainly agree with the suggestions to avoid spraying the entire surface of the card. The roughing should be just enough to cause the cards to cling. Any more and you end up with seperation problems during performance. Light coats and keeping the un-roughed sides of the cards clean are the keys to sucessful roughing.
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
If you do slightly over-spray and the cards become very difficult to spread, then you need to gently rub them against each other, in pairs, rough-to-rough.

This will wear them in perfectly.

Dr. Zordas
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Save tons of money and use Krylon Matte Finish #1311 spray, its the thing that is sold for tones more and in smaller cans. An 11 oz can sells for about $3.00 at Michaels or anywhere that spray-paint cans are sold.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I'll have to try that Richard.Thanks.

Whatever spray is used.It is a good practice to hold the can well above the cards,and let the fine mist float down to the cards.This will avoid over application,and you will quickly learn the proper amount needed after letting the cards thouroghly dry for testing.
Best.
Rich
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
I've had good luck by spraying just the middle of the cards. When I line them up to be sprayed I cover the top and bottom third of the cards with yardsticks leaving the middle third exposed and sprayed.

Spread the cards by applying pressure to the middle and they stay together, when you come to the ones to be separated spread them at the bottom and they easily separate.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
I do the opposite, Bill. I lay the cards on a piece of plywood, then run a strip of 1-inch masking tape across each row, centered on the cards. This not only holds them in place, it masks the center 1/3 leaving it uncoated.

When spreading the cards, you position your thumb so the tip is over the coated portion and the ball is over the uncoated center (obviously, your thumb is on the uncoated faces, not the backs...I'm just talking about position here). When you get to the "mate", you press with the ball of your thumb and they separate every time.

I also switched to Testor's Dullcote instead of the Krylon (you'll find it where they sell model airplanes/cars and supplies). I've found it to be much, much better than the Krylon. I've been told the "roughing spray" sold in magic shops is re-labeled Dullcote, but I don't know that for a fact.
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
I have tried both Testor's and Krylon and feel the same way as Doctor. Testor's works better. Most of the spray I have seen in magic shops look like they are Testor's cans of dullcote. Relabeled roughing spray and marked up from what you can buy them for at a hobby shop.

Hit the hobby shop and pick up a can of dullcote. I have also used the dullcote in photography to dull up really shiny surfaces like glass so reflections are minimized.

Kevin
Jaypoc
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jaypoc
I have 2 r/s decks (an Invisible and a Mirage). The invisible deck is great. While it sticks when I want it to, It's not difficult to seperate the roughed cards. With the Mirage deck, the cards almost sound like 2 pieces of cardboard rubbing against eachother when you try to seperate them.

Is this just a case of too much roughing materal or just poor quality roughing material (or a combination of both?)

Would "using" the cards help reduce SOME of the friction on the mirage deck without sacrificing the roughing properties altogether?
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Typically, the roughing spray will wear off some with use, so it may help to rub them against each other, and try to break them in. Other times, I've found that it's just easier to start over again with a new deck.
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I posted a query in the Jumbo cards section, but have gotten very few hits and only one response, so I'll try it here. Any tips for applying roughing spray to make a Jumbo Invisible Deck? There's so much card surface there, that I'm afraid to do it the same way I do with a poker sized deck. I don't want them to stick together too much. Has anyone here tried roughing spray on a jumbo deck, and how did it work out? Thanks, Jeff
Jaypoc
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jaypoc
Quote:
On 2006-07-24 17:58, jkvand wrote:
Typically, the roughing spray will wear off some with use, so it may help to rub them against each other, and try to break them in. Other times, I've found that it's just easier to start over again with a new deck.

The mirage deck (sandpaper-like one) is a new deck. for $10 I just bought the deck rather than rough one myself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Tips for applying roughing spray (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL