The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Tips for applying roughing spray (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
phil in KC
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of phil in KC
I can verify that the roughing spray sold in magic stores is really Testor's Dullcote. Once when a magic shop was out of roughing spray, the clerk let me in on the secret.

-Phil in KC
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I already sprayed self made Jumbo Playing Cards, just keep the can far enough away from the cards and do not spray to much. Two thin layers worked good for me.

Christian
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Thanks for the response, Card-Shark! Did you spray the whole surface of the card, or did you cover the borders?
Psy1
View Profile
New user
Atanta
22 Posts

Profile of Psy1
The original ingredient for roughing fluid was carbolic acid (now it is called "phenol"). Testors Dullcote is the same thing. Most of us are familiar with the spray (Dullcote #1260) but do you know that the liquid is still available? It is sold as Testors Dullcote #1160. There are some applications where it is much easier to apply roughing fluid with a brush, cotton swab or cotton ball. It is possible to buy phenol in the form of disinfectants also. (e.g. Lysol)
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2006-07-24 21:34, phil in KC wrote:
I can verify that the roughing spray sold in magic stores is really Testor's Dullcote. Once when a magic shop was out of roughing spray, the clerk let me in on the secret.

-Phil in KC

Indeed it is.

I'm in England and we can't get Testors Dull Cote for love nor money and we can't import it from the US as it's restricted.

So I ordered some Roughing spray from an online magic shop in England and when I got it, they hadn't even bothered relabeling it! I had in my hands a small can of Testors Dull Cote!

I even kept the label as a trophy! (Sad but true)

But it kind of begs the question: If a small UK magic shop can import it, why can't an individual?

And for the record: I use two light coates allowing each to dry and mask the centre third so that it's rough both ends and smooth in the centre.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Tips for applying roughing spray (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL