The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Sharp-Ring by Patrik Kuffs & Stéphane Bourgoin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
I purchased this from Patrick at Blackpool, firstly he is a really nice guy, its a great idea and it works really well. Its an elegant solution to the usual issue of clipping the ring onto the usual clasp..which can look slightly awkward at times. "a piece of junk" I don't think so there are plenty of those items out there in the market place, this isn't one of them.
The props are well made, its a good price and equally the routine is well thought out with all the actions having good reason and justification.
I would recommend this to anyone looking for a new ring flight effect.
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
I recieved this trick a couple of days ago.I will try a little review.

The blurb :

A borrowed ring, a Sharpie marker... and one killer routine! A HUGE hit at the recent Blackpool Magic Convention!

The effect:

Imagine this! You borrow a finger ring from the spectator. You take out your sharpie and write them an IOU on a piece of paper which is then crumpled up into a ball and placed on the table in front of you.

In a flash, the ring vanishes from your hand. All eyes then focus on the crumpled up ball of paper on the table. Slowly...carefully.... the paper ball is opened up. The ring isn't there!

Then you turn towards the audience and the ring has appeared on the cap of the Sharpie marker that is in your back pocket!

Finally, this wonderful classic of magic is transformed into a completely commercial prop!

Sharp-Ring will fly right into your act!

All the professional magicians agree "The simple effects are the best!"

Sharp-Ring is simple... very simple!

Complete instructions, gimmick, matching marker and holder are included.

***************My thoughts :

First , keep in mind that it is a ring flight gimmick adapted for a Sharpie marker .
If you like the ring flight plot you will find this adaptation very interesting and ingenious.The gimmick is pretty well conceived by the way and reliable.

The ring flight routine is a strong trick for a lay person .Simple plot.A borrowed ring ( a common object) disappears to be found in a key holder.

I find this idea by Patrik Kuffs and Stéphane Bourgoin more interesting than the the usual key holder since I do not really know anybody using this thing to hold keys !!!! I never personally used a key holder to carry my keys...

But I use a Sharpie marker all the time...like all magicians.Since it is an object already in your arsenal it is more natural to use it in this kind of routine.
At least it is a very good substitute to the usual ring flight on the market.

I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a more natural way of
performing the ring flight without using the standard key holder.The IOU
presentation has also potential for comedy.

Good stuff.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
I have heard that there is a review of this product coming in the next issue of the MAGICSEEN (a magic mag from United Kingdom).

Guys from UK could help on this...
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I just got one. A few questions for other owners:
Is yours noisy?
Does your pull free of your back pocket easily? Does not anchor well
Why was a metal insert not put in the tip of the pen to keep it from wearing?

I used to do ringflight, and liked this concept. It is well built, other than issues I mention above. So I asked for advice. I did use the other sharpie to color the wire, much better looking.

Any advice for me welcome...here or in PM. Thanks for the great reviews here. I give this product a 3.5 out of 5 so far.
Michael Clifton
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Michael Clifton
I also found some of the same problems that magicmind has encountered. You can't dismantle the gimmick to replace the tip if it wears.Mine did. This was a pain.I had to modify the tip to make the action smoother.Overall I like the concept, but it needs good verbal misdirection.
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I wonder if these modifications have been mentioned to Patrik Kuffs & Stéphane Bourgoin. I may never use this b/c of the things I mentioned. Then again, I may just make my own.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I PMed kuffs with a link back here. Maybe he can be of assistance here. Smile
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Ok, maybe someone can help me out with a question. Why? Why should I buy a $45 Sharpie that accomplishes the same thing I do with sleight of hand? Also, why do they look at the IOU, why even have the IOU, considering as soon as they look at it, you have time to load anything anywhere.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
True Jeff, but my point was about the operation of the gimmick, not that I cannot do this other ways...maybe we, as magicians, like gadgets. After reading your post..I can come up with a few was to accomplish this.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Never heard anything from Kuffs.... Did anyone else?
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
I bought one a few months ago and due to pocket management, I will not use it.

Brand new - $25.US postpaid.

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
NMaggio
View Profile
New user
Nick Maggio
100 Posts

Profile of NMaggio
Ring Flight is not in my collection but the Sharpie Ring is. For the life of me, I can't figure the benefits. The biggest objection I have is the unacceptable level of noise the setup makes. The gimmack speaks loud and clear.

Having a ring magically attach to a key wallet hasp is a pretty strong effect; although most folks do not use a key holder anymore. To have the ring appear on the Sharpie clip is not a big brain teaser. I feel most laymen can make the logical assumption that the ring could have easily been put there by Slight of Hand.

Finally, who wears a Sharpie in their back pockets? Even if you could, how would you sit down?

Maybe I lack the imagination to alter this effect to make it natural, but combine the noise, the credibility and the location and you have a marginal effect.

Nick Maggio
Gypsyprince12
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Gypsyprince12
Has anyone got this thing to work. having a hard time understanding how it could work . Help is needed on what to do . Don't wanna throw it away in my junk drawer. Would love to put it to use.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I guess Baggins was right.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Gypsyprince12
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Gypsyprince12
Guess so ! Smile
montgomerymagic
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of montgomerymagic
Quote:
On May 6, 2006, joseph wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-02 07:01, elierfr wrote:
Is there a demo?

A demo would be great.....

https://vimeo.com/147646408
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Sharp-Ring by Patrik Kuffs & Stéphane Bourgoin (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL