The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Amen wardy? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Hey, I read some things here on the Café about some latex fruit made by amen wardy. Is this company still around. Anything I've found on the internet about them is a dead-end. Do you know where I can get this fruit? I've considered buying Ammar's fruit, but I've heard that amen wardy may be even better. If anyone has any info on these or any latex fruit out there, please let me know. Thanks
Dann
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Their index page is still up, but the rest of them seem to be dead.

There was another company that had some nice fake fruit. However, let me say that most of it that I have seen advertised has been rather large. Mike's new line of fake fruit combined with his smaller cups are ideal for walkaround. His lemon and his lime are really works of art. His tomato is very nice, too.

The turnip looks like a real turnip, and his potato looks like a russet potato or new potato. Both of these are fairly small. But they work with his cups.

These people http://www.faxfoods.com/ are still in business. You might check them out.

None of this stuff is actually latex, though. Latex really isn't suitable. It will crater after a while. These fruits, I believe, are made from a silicone RTV type of plastic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Is the Fab Fruit hard, or more cushy? Curious about the possibility of talking between cup and fruit.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Fab Fruit has a solid feel, but it is not a hard surfaced item. The lemon feels almost exactly like a lemon. If you drop it into the cup from a height, it would make a noise, but it's got excellent "load" characteristics.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
674 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
I can't answer about Ammar's Fab Fruit but the fruit from Fax Foods is hard (but rubbery) and very realistic looking. I've had a lemon and lime of their's for close to ten years and they still look good. I placed the lime among 3 limes I bought at the store the other day and I couldn't tell which was the fake one. No one has ever questioned their validity. While I bought them quite awhile back I assume their quality is still as good.

Bill, could you answer if the Fab Fruit will fit the RNTII PF style cups? And if so is the fruit too small of a load for them? Thanks.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The current Fab Fuit -- the new version -- is a bit small for the RnT II PF cups. They look big coming out of the Ammar cups, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
755 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
The lemon and lime are roughly the size of a Mike Rogers Final Load Baseball (roughly since they are oblong in shape). The turnip is a bit smaller than that, and as Bill mentioned, the new potato and the new tomato are both very small. Coming out of a standard "lacrosse ball-sized" cup, they look relatively small. More "cute" than anything else. The Ammar cups are just a little bit smaller than the Sisti cups (which are also "lacrosse ball-sized") and "fill" them better. All the fruit look very real. The new potato, while smaller now, looks even more realistic than the older version.

Posted: Apr 27, 2006 2:46am
To answer Mark's question above: I don't think the fruit will talk during the load unless you drop them as opposed to "covering" them.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
As far as the fruit not "talking" are we speaking about fab fruit or fax fruit? I'm on an incredibly tight budget unfortunately right now, so I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive. Right now I'm using walmart lemons for my cups and balls. They are too loud for my liking, but are made of polyfoam and not hard plastic, so they are not as loud as they could be. I'd like to find a load where I don't have to worry about the sound though. I know fab fruit would be perfect for this, but if there is anything else out there similar, I'd be very interested. Thanks for all the help.
Dann
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
755 Posts

I was speaking of the Fab Fruit. I have no experience with Amen Wardy fruit or any other fruit besides the hard plastic kind which wouldn't work anyway. Hopefully someone who does will chime in. I'm sure there's someone.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
If you can't afford the best, use real fruit. It makes a difference. And real fruit is cheap.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
I agree. Over time though, the price adds up and it is a pain going to the grocery store every time I want to do a show. I'm starting to think that maybe the investment in the Ammar fruit might just be worth it. I didn't see dimensions on his site though. It said "perfect for the Ammar cups" but I couldn't find the "Ammar cups" anywhere on the site. Does anyone know the dimensions of the fruit (or cups)? What I like about the walmart lemons is that they are ALMOST too big for the cups so when they come out, it looks like they almost couldn't have even fit in the cups. It's a very nice effect at the end and always gets a gasp. I feel, however, that I have to pay too much attention to not making noise, and I'd rather focus on my technique and not worry about noise. Any help on the dimensions of the Ammar fruit would be appreciated. I might just go for it.
Dann
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2006-04-27 12:44, stannmaple wrote:
....It said "perfect for the Ammar cups" but I couldn't find the "Ammar cups" anywhere on the site.....

Michael said the cups will be back up in a few days. They are only made in small runs and he takes them off the site between runs.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
755 Posts

I just measured the Fab Fruit (the February 2006 versions). This is approximate since they are odd-shaped:

Lemon - 2" X 2 1/2" (incluing the stub)
Lime - just under 2 1/8" X 2 7/16" (with stub)
Turnip - 2 3/16" X 2 3/16" (not a perfect circle, but those are the longest sides)
Potato - 2 1/16" X 1 1/2 "
Tomato - 2" X 1 3/4" plus a short stem

Terrific products, but definitely on the small side since Michael fashioned these specifically for his small set of cups.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Got it. Thanks for the info
Dann
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I thought his old potatoes were small until I read the dimensions for the new lineup; those new potatoes are too small for me.

Does anyone know if Ammar plans to offer a PF size Fab Fruit lineup anytime in the future? I'd be willing to spend some good money for a larger set if they were of the same caliber.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
755 Posts

This is a good question and one that was on my mind as well. Might be a good time to ask Michael on his thread while he's here. Although...I doubt he'd go to the lengths to make them larger, when he just got through engineering smaller ones. Couldn't hurt to ask though. I'd buy.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Michael was here this week....I watched his routine up close and examined the fruit and his stubby little cups. Although his routine is excellent, to me, the least impressive thing about it was his final loads. They are just too small, even with the very small cups. They would look tiny coming out of the RnT II.V cups (which I have).

This is not to be critical...Michael designed the fruits so that four fit in two jacket side pockets without being too lumpy and they work well for that. But, I would only consider the fruits if I were going to get his cups too.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
674 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Does anyone know if they are too big for the RNTII Mini PF style cups?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes, they are all too big.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
755 Posts

That was a good question, Mitch. I wondered the same.
Glenn, I really think the lemon and lime would do just fine coming out of a standard sized cup that takes a lacrosse ball as it's max load (Fox, et al). But yes, I agree the other fruit are dwarfed. There is something to be said for having less bulge though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Amen wardy? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL