The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Payment in US vs. Canadian Funds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I'm seeking some thoughtful advise form the Magic Café community.

I am a US citizen residing in Canada.

Over the years, when I do trade shows, my shows have mostly been for Canadian-based Companies that fly me into shows throughout the US and pay me in Canadian dollars.

On the occasions when I have been hired and flown in by US based companies to do shows in the US, they have paid me in US dollars.

Today I will be providing a price quote to a US-based client that wants to hire me to do a show here in Canada at their booth.

Do I charge them in US dollars and incorporate the US/Canadian exchange rate to compensate for the difference or charge them in US dollars the same amount I would have charged my Canadian clients?

In other words, are US companies that hire magicians "Canadian" magicians to perform in Canada, expecting to pay the equivalent rate in Canadian dollars?

I look forward to some input on this, especially from those that have handled similar situations over the years, but I also welcome all thoughtful input.

Many thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I would offer them the option by quoting both.
If you prefer not to quote both, why not ask them before you submit the quote in which currency they want it?

Michael
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions Michael.

I just hung up the phone with my US base client. We agreed on a fee in US$ for the booking.

I was able to justify this price comfortably to the client and we are both happy.

Again, many thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Jonathan,

I'm glad I was of help.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Michael,

Luckily when I spoke to my client this morning, we were on the same page. I didn't really need to get into the conversion rates, since this turned out not to be an issue, and we were both happy with the agreed upon price. Again, many thanks for your help.

Have a great day!

Jonathan
Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Payment in US vs. Canadian Funds (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL