The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » No Cover Mask Change!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
I have checked the archives for any links to resources that help explain ANY methods of mask changes, and have come up with nothing, and a bunch of time has pasted since the topic was fresh, so I am curcious if folks here today have any info on resources to learn some of the techniques for this type of effect. thanks
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
This one is cool, too (a bit different than the one posted, but still some cool mask changes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnN68_qu4VM

I especially like the move at the end where the mask floats back up to his face.

Here is another from Aaron Wan, from Singapore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAAyUO_9r1o

and another from Aaron Wan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjQdDl-FM38
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Austini
View Profile
New user
CA, Temecula
48 Posts

Profile of Austini
Wow that was amazing, is their any resources on learning mask changing? I heard it was one of chinas secrets and only chinese or something could learn it. that's just what I heard, but I may be wrong.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Jeff McBride uses masks in his stage act, and he considers it a "trademark" of sorts. I don't think it is ONLY for Chinese performers, however someone in China may feel differently. I don't think that there is anything wrong with doing masks in your show - just make the act different than anyone else - and they don't have to be chinese masks - they can be any kind of mask.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Yup I agree, I have a few different ideas, but methods are elluding me, so I am trying to find some decent stuff to help me work out techniques for some quick mask changes
Randy Burtis
www.calgarymagician.com
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
I watched this last night and it was very cool but I thought after the 3rd mask change it got a little monotonous i.e. “I get it, color changing masks, now do something else.” I think even the audiences reaction reflected this on the last couple of changes. Pretty darn cool tho.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
I agree, I think you either make a bunch of masks change in a short time and just "wow impact them" with the sheer force o fit, or you just use it as part of a larger routine(which I what I have in mind), but just don't have a solid method for doing 2 or 3 mask changes.
Randy Burtis
www.calgarymagician.com
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Bian Lian is supposed to only be taught to chinese people. If a westerner were to perform it, they would have a very hard time from the chinese. It is a national secret, the famous Andy Lau got in some trouble because someone was teaching Bian Lian to foreigners, and the masters thought it was him, but he cleared his name. I here the old rules of it were something like it was taught from master to student, and the student would only perform after the master died. Also the fellow (Mr Peng?) who taught it to Andy Lau got in trouble with the masters before (he got in trouble for teaching Andy Lau too, something to do with money I think) because he took female students (King of Masks???).

I'm sure not everyone will share that opinion, but that's what my research turned up.

Paul
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Andy Lau apparently learned by paying about 3,000,000 yuan ($360,000) for the secret methods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bian_Lian
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Are there some other methods (beyond bian lian)developed out there for this?
Randy Burtis
www.calgarymagician.com
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Quote:
On 2007-03-19 13:54, randyburtis wrote:
Are there some other methods (beyond bian lian)developed out there for this?

Hmm, Some good old fashion misdirection:
"Look! A Bird that's flying with no wings! (new Mask)"
WOW!
I've been training these cards since they were small.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Heh, seeker, you try that and let me know how that works for ya Smile
Randy Burtis
www.calgarymagician.com
Ryan:Ruple
View Profile
New user
Mandeville, LA
39 Posts

Profile of Ryan:Ruple
Wow, amazing. There was cover, but sometimes I doubted it. Smile

--Ryan
glennmagi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of glennmagi
Shame, as it happens to often, this video is no longer available.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » No Cover Mask Change!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL