The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ball Vase (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I saw Michael Skinner perform the ball vase on his excellent tapes and he made a miracle out of a $2 trick. I purchased the brass version, and do his routine all the time. Does anyone else do this routine or have their own version? Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I don't have his routine, but I am interested in putting together a good routine for this. I plan on making a ball and vase at my shop. I think I'm going to make it the same size as my billard balls to integrate it into that. What's his routine like? What else is on his tape?
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
How big is the brass one? Will it fit in your pocket, and where did you get it?
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
It's around 2.5" like the plastic one, and comes with a black and a white ball. If you do the Skinner routine, you will need an extra black ball. It is available at Hank Lee and the page is:
here Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Ouch! $75 needs to be approved through my budget director (wife). I was thinking about this one since it's got an extra gimmick built in (and it's in the no approval needed, it's cheap enough category).

http://themagicwarehouse.com/closeup7.html#mm2644
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I bought one with my allowance I saved up (my wife gives me 50 cents a week) and it is beautiful, and worth the $$. I figured I would go all out and feature this item in my close up show. Smile
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
It's hard to tell from the Hank Lee pics, but it looks like a nicer design.
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Quote:
On 2002-12-05 02:26, JamesinLA wrote: What's [Skinner's] routine like? What else is on his tape?

Skinner's ball vase routine augments the standard presentation with additional transpositions and concludes with a color change, which can be revealed by a spectator. This is on "Professional Close-up Magic Volume 3." The other effects are all card effects except "The Flying Eagles." There are also a couple interview sections with Skinner and Roger Klause. They are more interesting than informative.

I've always thought the ball vase should be used in conjunction with other ball manipulations to strengthen the effect.

I bought the wooden vase with ping pong ball from Hank Lee a while back. The nice thing about that is that extra balls (and in different colors) are readily available and cheap. The drawback is that ping pong balls can be tricky to manipulate if one's hands are too dry!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
That's correct, Paul, and the balls that come with the brass vase are like marbles and difficult to palm, so you improvise with the f****r p**m. Smile
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
If you can do a basic French drop you can make the ball apparently penetrate through the bottom. (Looks weird.)

Just French drop the ball and pretend to find the ball in the vase (really the gimmick), Pick up the vase with the hand holding the ball, positioning the ball at the bottom of the vase. Put the cover on, tap the top, and allow the palmed ball to drop. It's a nice penetration.

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
That's right, Joe; and Skinner uses a similar move in his routine. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ball Vase (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL