The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Video Depot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

-0-
View Profile
New user
London
58 Posts

Profile of -0-
To be honest I'm ambivalent about this site.

One things that bothers me is that they really should vet video submissions before letting them go live. REALLY should.

I've seen some good, and helpful (as a visual aid, e.g stuff from bobo's knowing what it should look like done right) stuff on there. However, I was looking up a video of a certain false shuffle (naming no names), and out of a couple of videos I found, one was a good example, the other just plain tipped the method. This was after one watch, I didn't study it, I went back to check I hadn't missed something, but after my first watch I now have an idea how the sleight is performed (and to be fair it's clever).

For me this isn't a problem as I'll buy the creators notes on it anyway, but will everyone?

MVD could really do with vetting the stuff and removing some of the blatant exposure from it.

Just as a note to fellow novices. If you want to upload a video of a sleight, PLEASE make sure it's actually deceptively and properly done.

This has been quite a bit of a rant, just wanted to get that off my chest.
Regards,

-0-
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I know a guy here (Yakima) who is or at least was a mod there. To my knowledge they do remove what they consider exposure although some probably does slip through the cracks. I would suggest that were you to see something akin to exposing a method, to alert a mod. They don't want that to be an exposure site after all.

Anyway, hope it works out.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
-0-
View Profile
New user
London
58 Posts

Profile of -0-
Thanks Josh, I messaged someone on the Depot about it, hopefully it'll be sorted out.
Regards,

-0-
magicdave777
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of magicdave777
I think this may be missing one of the main points of MVD....to help with new moves and get feedback. The person who uploaded it probly thought they did a nice job. However since people can leave them feedback and helpful tips, his performance will hopefully improve.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I saw some great stuff on there as well.
I mean , that site has helped me quite a bit when learning new stuff.
the thing is that I too have noticed a lot of material that I considered to be exposure. I guess it's a hard job selecting from the hundreds of clips the ones that give away methods etc.
all in all it's a helpful resource. sometimes a little TOO helpful I guess Smile

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
magicdave777
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of magicdave777
I like to keep in mind that the users of this site have a strong interest in magic. Most of them are there for help and tips, which is great for our community. If you read the comments on the vids, a lot of the are very helpful for those who posted the vids. I thin it is a great resorce for those who are new magic. I also think this site provides a great opportunity to those that have been in magic for some time, to help and offer advice to new members of the magic community.

THINK BACK...when you started magic, you were just the same; Looking for feedback on your newest trick and help in general. I know I was....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Video Depot (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL