The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » And all the fools sailed away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I've come across many posts suggesting many or all folks don't like being fooled.

I still don't understand that.

I'm sure we'll see a play on words here. Are they 'fooled', 'deceived', 'lied to', 'entertained'?

To date, anytime I witnessed 'good magic' I was far from upset. In fact, I only planned on doing whatever it took to create the same effect for myself and others. No harm done.

Do we know ,when they are fooled, how terrible is the effect? Do they come to think less of the performer and magic in general? Could we benefit from studies on this?

And what to do with the magic masochist who pay 25-150.00 or more for a good magic show that'll apparently fool them. Don't they know people don't like being fooled!?

Just want to make sure no one gets hurt now...
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I think the issue is that there is a small inherent "I know something you don't know." When done well, this aspect is completely diffused.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
"Peoples loves to be cheated--but they wants it done by an expert."
--Josh Billings
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
People don't mind being fooled by magic, but they don't like being treated like fools.
You can tickle one to laughter or you can tickle one to tears... there's a breaking point.
POOF!
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Agreed that there is a huge difference between being fooled and being made a fool of.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
That's why I always say that the performance is far more important than the effect. It's the difference between showing a magic effect and sharing a magic effect. Now many of you will say "that's just semantics.", but it all takes place in the words. You have to make it clear to your audience that you are their humble servant, and there solely for their pleasure.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Whit,

Josh Billing's quote describes my sentiments exactly. I don't mind being fooled and even fooled badly. Just do it well as a performer and handle me, the spectator, with care, respect, and overall expert handling.

Even while being familiar with the mechanics at work, I don't mind handing my company a twenty and have them put their bet down if I see the Monte operator is good.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Nate Leipzig said that people don't mind being fooled by a gentleman.

My perspective on a certain kind of magic has changed in recent years. I used to do certain routines in a way that made the people feel impotent. This is frustrating. I changed a lot of this, so that they don't.

For example, one of my walkaround mainstays for the last 25 years has been the C/S/B with the vanish at the end. I used to let the people guess what coins were in which hand. I stopped doing that about 10 years ago, and increased the impact of the magic.

I would say, "If I remove the silver coin and hold it over here, you would think that I have the copper and the brass in this hand. I don't. The silver is over there and the copper and brass are here. I'll do it again." And I keep reminding them that I am cheating. Finally, at the end, I say, "You will notice that I haven't allowed you to guess yet. That's because I'm cheating. And I don't want you to be embarrassed by making a wrong guess. This time I'm going to make you win, no matter how hard you try to lose. If I remove the silver coin and place it into my pocket, what do I NOT have in this hand?" No matter what they say, the hand is empty, so they are right. The blow-off line is "Doesn't it feel good to be a winner?"

This works out much better than the "No, it's the silver coin, dumb ass" kind of patter that so many people do.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Maybe? It's fun to be fooled? But perhaps some audience members like being fooled by a gentleman (Leipzig) and they don't like being made a fool. Or look like a fool in front of their friends.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16235 Posts

Profile of tommy
Sometimes the magician will ask a member of the audience to “assist” him. However it sometimes happens that the volunteer knows full well that the magician is intending to use him as a kind of straight guy in sort of comedy act. The guy volunteers none the less. The guy is thanked sincerely for being a good sport and the guy seems to enjoy being made a fool of as much as the audience likes seeing this. I don’t see anything wrong in that as it’s just a little fun.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Randy:

Osterlind's "Principles of Magic" small book has some very good thoughts in it - really, it changed my thinking quite a bit.

The whole "It's fun to fooled" thing makes me think of that somewhat-famous routine Jerry Seinfeld did - the one where he does a parody on magicians:

"Here's a quarter in my hand...now, its gone...you're a jerk."

Ron
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Ron,
Are you saying that this was how you were with your audience before you read Osterlind's book?
If not, you have nothing to worry about - If so, I'm glad you came around.

Cheers,
Kregg
POOF!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I don't have anything to contribute; I just wanted to know if that was a Dio reference.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I know one guy who always feels fooled and challenged, no mater how innocuous my presentation. I tried every thing I knew to get him to lighten up. The veins in his head would bulge and he'd break into a sweat. Finally I just stopped showing him tricks. Much better.

I've learned a lot from my 3 year old daughter and her 5 year old friend. We "play magic". A lot of improvisation and no pressure. I try to bring that thought of play into my presentations.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2006-04-29 14:28, Bill Palmer wrote:
Nate Leipzig said that people don't mind being fooled by a gentleman.

Bill, does this mean people would mind being fooled by me? By no stretch of the imagination can I be remotely considered a gentleman! Smile

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-05-03 03:42, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I don't have anything to contribute; I just wanted to know if that was a Dio reference.

Memorable little tune isn't it. I think he goes on to say:

"I never fail to be astounded by the things we'll do for promises....and a song"..

But back on track,

Quote:
On 2006-05-03 13:00, Margarette wrote:
Bill, does this mean people would mind being fooled by me? By no stretch of the imagination can I be remotely considered a gentleman! Smile

Margarette

To the contrary. Women fool men all the time.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
People may not like being fooled, but they LOVE to be AMAZED!

Therein lies the difference between a fooler and a MAGICIAN.

You may quote me, so long as I get credit for the quotation, of course!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Ah yes, we are Amazing Fools (in jest).
POOF!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » And all the fools sailed away (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL