The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just got Royal Road To Card Magic & Complete Course in Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stimpy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Stimpy
Hi there,

yesterday I received two books I have ordered: Royal Road To Card Magic & Complete Course in Magic. Right now I am starting to work with The Royal Road and glanced through Complete Course in Magic. Wow...These books really are worth their money.

I am a complete beginner and have never touched a deck of cards before, so even doing basic stuff like the Overhand Shuffle is a challenge for me. Smile So now I am just trying to get that right. (And ONLY that for now)

Thanks to all the people here who recommended these two books. There is so much material it will surely keep me busy for years. Espacially The Complete Course in Magic is much bigger than I expected and explains nearly everything from Card Magic to Coin Magic and other really good stuff. There are even tricks included that will cost you more than the book itself when you buy the single trick (Bill in a lemon).

Now it´s practice, practice, pactice...I really want to take the time to get the very basics down and build a solid foundation.

What I also found extremly helpfull together with Royal Road is the podcast from GoMagicGo (www.gomagicgo.com). They do a beginners course in Card Magic using the Royal Road. Each Episode offers material for one week (Week one covers the Overhand Shuffle, nothing else...no card controll yet...). They also point out the critical details you have to take care of and give hints on stuff that can easily be overseen when starting with Cards.

It´s so exciting I can hardly put the cards aside. Smile
Practice doesn´t make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect...
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2006-04-29 07:07, Stimpy wrote:
Hi there,
yesterday I received two books I have ordered: Royal Road To Card Magic & Complete Course in Magic. Right now I am starting to work with The Royal Road and glanced through Complete Course in Magic. Wow...These books really are worth their money.
It´s so exciting I can hardly put the cards aside. Smile
Well, now you can consider youself hopelessly lost & addicted Smile my friend Smile. Seriously, welcome to the "machine". You have two of the best books to begin your journey. A bit of advice.. take your time and digest these books slowly. Understand the instructions fully and practice the moves slowly, the speed will come naturally. RRTCM follows a natural progression so take advantage of it's layout. The tricks at the end of each topic are effective and proven classic effects. Try to learn them as explained and as you get experienced you will find that there are many ways to "skin a cat" if you know what I mean. If you are into card magic the second book has a huge chapter on cards as well as other venues. So, welcome to world of magic and remember to come up to the surface and breathe periodically. If you hit a snag in your journey don't hesitate to ask the Café for advice...we're here to help! Smile
:bikes: Smile Smile
:hypnodisk: KRaZy4kardz Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
onebark
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
141 Posts

Profile of onebark
Complete course is a lifetime of material. If you were to learn everything in that book you would never have to spend money on a new 'effect' or 'trick' again. Seriously. It's the best $10-20 investment you can make.
Stimpy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Stimpy
KRZ4kardz: Yes, I am doing it step by step. A great help is the podcast from gomagicgo. They stressed that one should take time and practice the basic routines a LOT. So for the next 7 days it´s only the Overhand Shuffle, nothing else. Thak you for your warm welcome. I will surely call for help, when I am stuck or frustrated.

I also rented a Copperfield Show on DVD from the videostore today for motivation. ;-)

onebark: You are so right and I am happy that I took the suggestions here seriously and got these books. I am just amazed, how much knowledge these guys have, who have written those books. I am happy If I can only handle 10% of each book after a few years.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Congratulations on your purchases!... here's something from Ed Marlo cited towards the beginning of Revolutionary Card Technique, p.xiii:

"Asked what books the newcomer should start with, Ed named Royal Road to Card Magic... as one of the best, with Expert Card Technique and Hillard's Card Magic as necessary to every card man's education. Marlo has taught many students and found those to whom the work came easiest were men who played cards a lot, [and] knew how to shuffle and handle a deck. 'Until you can do a normal shuffle with grace and ease,' he said, 'you can't hope to do a trick shuffle well.'"
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Stimpy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Stimpy
NeoMagic: 'Until you can do a normal shuffle with grace and ease,' he said, 'you can't hope to do a trick shuffle well.'

Well, I guess then this means a lot of work for me, as I drop the cards very often. Smile But I am amazed what progress I made in shuffling cards, as I wasn´t a card player before and didn´t even know how to hold them in the beginning.

May sound silly, but just doing the Overhand shuffle is very pleasing for me because I never thaught I could do something like that. (Only seen it in movies before and whenever I tried to do it it was just awkward.)
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
What brand of cards are you using may I ask? Are they Poker size? Just curious.
:hypnodisk: KRaZ4kardz Smile

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Stimpy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Stimpy
KRZ4kardz: Right now I am using german cards made by carta mundi. These cards are Rommé or Cannasta Cards. I guess they are a little bit smaller than Poker Cards.

The back of these cards look like that:
http://www.cartamundi.com/Content/com/pr......dex.html
(wait a moment as the picture is always changing)

The Faces look like that:
http://www.spielkartenladen.de/product_i......ild.html
(Click on the image for a larger view)

The problem here in germany with cards is:

1.They seem to be expensive. I paid 8,- Euros (9.65 US $) for 1 deck. :-( I guess the reason is that german cards come in 4 colours while byclicle cards are only two colours, is that correct. (Never saw bicycle cards)

2. It´s hard to find a store where you can buy cards (And I don´t live in a small village). I got mine in a toy-store and they only had 1 package left.

So I ordered 3 decks of bycicle cards for 3.75 Euros (4.50 US $) from a German Onlineshop. The problem with these cards is that here in germany nobody knows these cards, so they are highly suspicious. I guess whenever you use these cards in germany everyone will think that this is in fact a trick deck.

But as I am a beginner and will probably not be performing in the nearest future it doesn´t bother me. And for practicing shufffles and sleights I want some cheap cards.

I will try to find a local store where I can buy bicycle cards or at least get german cards that are not that expensive.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
A stupid question here. When you say Complete Course in Magic, you are reffering to Mark Wilsons book right? RRTCM and Complete Course in magic are GREAT! I also suggest for a beginner to pick up JB bobos Modern Coin magic as well. And get Oz Pearlmans "Born to Perform Card Magic" It is great for beginners. And, I don't have this, but will be getting it, and I am now the librarian of our IBM ring, so I have looked through it, and it looks good. "Expert card Technique" looks very interesting. I will also probably be getting the whole Tarbell Series. I am also hoping on making a website for magicians. It will just be a piczo one. Not very flashy, but it will be hopefully very informative. It will have recommendations on what books, dvds, magazines, and tricks to get. It will also have lots of helpful information on presentation, history, routining, and all in all, how to become a better magician. I am hoping for it to be finished by this time, next year. So look out for it.

Anyway, that's all the advise I have for now. Good luck on you magical journey. -Cory.
Stimpy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Stimpy
Themagicman101: Yes, it´s Mark Wilsons book, and I was surprised how much material he covers in this books. I guess it is almost impossible to learn all the stuff in it for a hobby magician like me.

JB Bobos Modern Coin Magic is also on my wishlist, but I won´t start with coin magic right now untill I learned some basic card stuff. Also I find coins more difficult than cards, don´t know why. Maybe because I have seen a very complicated routine in the beginning.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
The cards you are using are Bridge sized playing cards. There is nothing wrong with the cards you are using but if you switch to Poker sized Bicycles you will find them difficult to manipulate as you are becoming conditioned to the narrower Bridge sized cads. The Poker style cards are 1/4" wider than the cards you are currently using, the length is the same. The first consideration you may want to decide is what what type of cards do you want to use, as this is very important. If you use some logic, one would opt to use the wider Poker sized cards to practice with because the transition from wide to narrow is much easier. Early in my journey I began to use the narrower Bridge sized cards as those were the norm for the era ('60s). By the '80s the Poker sized cards became the norm and I found that certain sleights had to fine tuned due to change in width...and believe me it was no easy matter (I still struggle with the pass today, it was a cinch with the Bridge sized cards). It is easier to work with the Poker cards in the beginning, then the transition to the Bridge/Canasta cards becomes easier. Something to ponder about and decide. BTW when you are ready to go to higher learning you must look into the "Card College" series of books by Roberto Giobbi. Start saving up for that...it's a wise investment.

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
How many volumes in Card College are there? And what do they cover?
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Card College has 5 volumes to date. There is rumor that a 6th volume in in the works. The series takes over where RRTCM left off. If you have the monetary resources I highly recommend this as it will be your wisest investment. Check this out for the TOC http://magicref.tripod.com/books.htm Just scroll down to Giobbi, Roberto to view the Table Of Contents of the first 4 volumes.

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Stimpy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Stimpy
KRZ4kardz: Thank you very much for your advise. It is very gratefully taken. Smile

I already ordered 3 decks of Poker-Sized bycicle cards and I think I will use them for two reasons: First they are cheaper and second I also think that it might be easier to handle Bridge-Sized Cards when I am used to handle a bigger size. Right now I am only practicing the Overhand Shuffle, so I hope that I won´t build too many bad habits when I start using Poker-Sized cards as early as possible.

About Card College: When you say Card College continues where RRTCM left off, I find it hard to imagine that one can even leran all the stuff that is included in RRTCM and continue from there. Also Card College seems to cover much more material than RRTCM, so this probably is a journey of a lifetime!?

But I don´t worry about that too much right now and enjoy practicing the very basic stuff, trying not to drop too much cards during a shuffle. ;-)
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
My heart may swell and burst at the thought of a beginner actualy taking the advise that's given around here. That kind of thing tends to be so very rare.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Yes, he is learning the way a future master magician would learn. I can see him now. In a few years, we will see him on his own tv show.
Stimpy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Stimpy
Quote:
On 2006-05-01 15:09, themagicman101 wrote:
Yes, he is learning the way a future master magician would learn. I can see him now. In a few years, we will see him on his own tv show.

ROFL

Yeah, sitting in a wheelchair, babbling weird stuff: "take a card, ANY card....no not THIS one, Idiot!...This glass should go through the table, not through my hand. I need medical attention!!!"
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Hi, Stimpy. So, I'm glad you have some books that are essentials in both the amount of tricks and level of teaching, and you can avoid the time and cost of buying lesser quality books. I suggest you sort out the results of the card tricks e.g. showing the onlooker you can "find his card from anywhere in the pac", and another result from tricks is "My card and your card have ended up together!" and learn to perform just one or two of each category. It's been said before, but spectators are impressed primarily with the end result - "Hey, both our cards ended up together" - They are not much interested in what method you used to achieve the result. Magicians love to work out more different ways to get to the end result, with the idea that "Hey, I can do it this way too!" but the spectator doesn't appreciate it that way. Know a few tricks really well and use those, then move on to alternatives. Practice, practice, practice and learn HOW to put the tricks across (showmanship). All the best! Regards.
The presentation makes the magic.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Stimpy, I have sent you a Private Message - Scroll right up to the the top of this page/screen and on the top right-hand side it says "[Private Message]". That writing should be flashing, meaning you have got mail! Click on it to get to the message. When you read in any posting in a thread the words "I have sent you a PM" or "I have PMed you" the PM part means "private message". All the best. Colin
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just got Royal Road To Card Magic & Complete Course in Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL