The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What's the best Bill Tube to purchase? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
Quote:
On 2006-05-15 07:13, gabelson wrote:
I have a Tannen's bill tube, and I know of no other that equals it in workmanship. The bottom is FLAT, rather than concentric rings; therefore drawing no heat. It is manufactured to exact specs, and is made by hand by an elderly gentleman who's manufactured them for Tannen's exclusively for years. A big thumbs-up.

Gabe

I will definitely have to agree with you Gabe on the Tannen's Bill Tube. It certainly is a beautiful piece of magic, I saw it performed the last time I was at Tannen's. Unfortunately I can't compare it to the Viking performance wise but it certainly was a finely crafted item.

Joe
ceme20
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of ceme20
Man, reading about bill tubes reminded me of a well built brass one I had about 30 years ago. I can't even remember what happened to it Smile Does this happen to anyone else? I'm starting to wonder now how many other items kinda disolved over the years lol
The Magical stage parallels that of the Stage of Life. We can step off, re-direct, and Create new Miracles as easily, and as naturally as taking in a breath...
Magoantonio
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Magoantonio
You can see the bill tube by Antonio Romero in
http://www.themagicworkshop.com
quickhands
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of quickhands
Well, I still do not have a bill tube but it will not take long until I get one. I see that RNTII have released a new bill tube. Does anybody has experience with this one? I had the chance of testing a Perfect Bill Tube (Magic Makers). I would be interested in knowing what people think about this one as well. A person told me that the Perfect Bill tube was essentially the same Tannen's Bill Tube that Tony Spina had handed to Magic Makers about a year and a half ago. This person got the information directly from Mr. Spina.

Thanks,

QH.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
quickhands
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of quickhands
I finally got my Tannen's Bill Tube. It is a very well made piece. I will have a lot of fun with it. I thought that I would pass a bit of info that I gather during my search. As I said before, I had the chance to play with the Magic Makers Professional Bill Tube and I thought that it is comparable in quality to Tannen's at a lower price. It is completely flat at the bottom and the edges are perfectly machined. There is though, a very slight roughness if you slide your finger around. I do not know what others think about this one but I would say that it is fairly good. I would like ot try the Viking as well.

THanks to all for your comments,

QH.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Quote:
On 2006-06-08 09:37, quickhands wrote:
I finally got my Tannen's Bill Tube. It is a very well made piece. I will have a lot of fun with it. I thought that I would pass a bit of info that I gather during my search. As I said before, I had the chance to play with the Magic Makers Professional Bill Tube and I thought that it is comparable in quality to Tannen's at a lower price. It is completely flat at the bottom and the edges are perfectly machined. There is though, a very slight roughness if you slide your finger around. I do not know what others think about this one but I would say that it is fairly good. I would like ot try the Viking as well.

THanks to all for your comments,

QH.

I have the Bill Tube Deluxe from Hank Lee's, the bottom looks odd and draws heat. Is the Super Bill Tube from Tannen's that much better?

Thanks
Keith
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

It appears that Hank Lee over charges for the Deluxe Bill Tube, I see other retailers selling the exact same thing for $10 less. I brought mine about a year ago before I knew anything about Magic Retailers.

Tannen sells the Super bill Tube for $85 and that is a lot. Magic Makers Bill Tube Perfect can be brought for $49. I just hope the Super Bill Tube from Tannen's is worth the cost.

I have learned a lot from Magic Café.

Many thanks
Keith
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I do not know if you called Vicking yet, But if you have not I will say they are the best ones to call for brass bill tubes. I had one for ever and some how lost it and did not hesitate to call Vicking for a new one that was as good as the old one.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Today I got my new Bill Tube (Super) from Tannen's. It's so much better than the Bill Tube Deluxe that I brought from Hank Lee's, and I assume it is the Viking Bill tube.

Tannen's Bill Tube has a very flat, smooth, and perfect bottom. No one will notice the bottom at all, which means it won't draw any heat. The other Bill Tube that I got from Hanks has concentric rings on the bottom, therefore it draws heat very easily.

The other good news is that Tannen's bill tube is longer and thicker than the bill tube from hanks, which means I only have to roll the bill and it will fit in the tube without hitting the bolt. The other bill tube is slightly shorter and requires that you fold the bill and then roll it so it does not hit the bolt. You could slide the bill under the bolt if you get lucky, but if not then you are going to have problems. The problem with folding the bill is that it takes too long and ruins the presentation.

The Cap on Tannen's tube does not screw on, it slides on quickly, which is quicker than the screw on cap of Viking Tube. Not sure if this really matters, but if you don't want to waste time screwing the cap on then Tannen's bill tube is the way to go.

The only thing I was not happy about Tannen's Bill Tube was the hanky that was included. It is kind of lame, but at least they provided one while the viking does not. I use a navy blue bandana that I brought from Wal-mart, works fine.

I am very glad that I now have Tannen's Bill Tube. A whole lot easier to work with and don't have to worry about the bottom drawing heat.

Thanks
madkiki
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
There is always The Heat is On by Brad Manuel, for a 'different' direction you may choose to explore.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
For me, Madkiki hit the nail on the head- Unlike other versions, the Tannen's bill tube does NOT have the concentric rings on the bottom, which are indeed suspect. It is flat, and non-descript.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Magic Makers has a bill tube called professional and perfect.
Other than one having a screw on cap and the other(perfect)having a padlock, does anyone know if both have a flat bottom?
constantin
View Profile
New user
Germany
53 Posts

Profile of constantin
I have bought the Viking Bill Tube and it is great. Ecept one single thing - it screeches like a wounded banshee when I do the dirty work Smile Does anybody have simmilar problems and if yes how you get around that??

I was really happy when I got it but unfortunatly am pretty disappointed now.

greets
Looseends
View Profile
New user
Downey, CA
14 Posts

Profile of Looseends
Quote:
On May 13, 2006, Steve Hook wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-13 05:55, Steve Brooks wrote:

...You might be lucky enough to find one for sale at a magic flea market, the dealers room at a convention (many dealers carry used and rare magic props) or as a last resort, Ebay...

Steve! You forgot! He might also find one at that Magic Café site on the Internet!

Steve, was the Johnson Tube threaded? I lost my tube years ago in a storage unit and looking for another one, I can’t find one that has a lock and is threaded.
Thank you!
John Zander
johnzander.com
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
The Viking one is locked and threaded.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
I would say that the Viking Bill Tube is perfect if it was a little bit larger.

At this point, there have been so many produced in China, India, and other places that it would be interesting if someone who has a huge collection would do a comprehensive review of them.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
I have a viking for sale if anyone is interested. pretty much brand new.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Hope this is a good topic to post my questions.

I picked up a Trickmaster Ultimate Brass Bill Tube on a make-an-offer table. It is the threaded cap plus lock version. Unfortunately the instructions are devoid of technique. By experiment, I learned how to roll the bill to the right size, but it is still a little slow to perform the mischief quickly. Too much fumbling and maneuvering. I also tried a jacket pocket that they suggested but the tube will not stay in the correct configuration, so not good. It is easier (but not perfect) to do the moves if the tube is lying concealed on a table ledge, though That is not a performance configuration that I use. I would like to use a pocket. Can someone suggest a resource (DVD for purchase say) on techniques on how to handle bill tubes in general?

I haven't listed all of the other little impediments I'm having in getting the bill to move to its proper location! I've practiced a bit and this certainly isn't a "beginners" trick as advertised, at least not with the tube I bought.

At any rate, since the Trickmaster has insufficient teaching I would not recommend it.

Phil
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
It has been 15 years since this topic began. Since then, the Bill Tube market has changed repeatedly. Not too many of the traditionally available ones from yesteryear are still manufactured.

So, time to start over to see what is available and well designed and made. Believe it or not, a rather challenging task!

By the way, I have seen some of you prefer a flat bottom but the concentric circles design is also popular because of its ability to hide/camouflage any seams.

Then you have the screw off top which I doubt is being manufactured these days and then the lock which is the standard model and a darn good one.

I am going to take a look see at what is out there and I will then report back here letting you know what I find.

By the way, I worked in a magic shop a million years ago and remember us carrying the Tannen model and perhaps one other but cannot recall. The Tannen one was excellent.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What's the best Bill Tube to purchase? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL