The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » I'm gonna get you sucker! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
Sucker tricks. What a nasty name for this misunderstood type of effect.
So what is a sucker trick? "An effect where the magician appears to fail or screw up only to triumph at the last second."
Ok but there are many ways to interpret this idea.
Example: Spectator selects card, card is returned to the deck, cards are mixed or whatever, mage selects card from deck and proudly announces it as the chosen card, but horror of horrors! It's the wrong card, another is shown. No! Another, NO!
"But wait, what was your card?" The ace of spades? It can't be, for you see, that card has(all together now:)"been in your pocket all night!" SUCKER!!!
So would you call that a sucker trick?

How about this: A Stage-Mage is shackled to a table, a large circular saw approaches, this is an overt escape, so the mage begins to pick the locks on his shackles, pick clamped between his teeth, time ticks by as the saw growls closer, hands are free! He sets to work on his feet, mere seconds left, but horror of horrors! He drops the pick! His feet still clamped fast, he stretches and contorts trying to reach the pick. The saw is shredding the table. It's all gone wrong. Certain death! Then at last he secures the pick, unlocks his feet and rolls to freedom as the saw rips through the space his body filled a second ago. Huzzah! The crowd goes wild.
Now that's what I would call a Sucker Trick.

Do you see the difference? Even sucker tricks are meant to serve an audience, not belittle them. What do you think?
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Not really a new idea at all. It's a good one, though.

Take a look at "Do You Like Cold Showers?" from Final Curtain. The trick is the Seven Keys to Baltpate. The magician/mentalist is inside an openwork cage, above which is a clock dial. When the clock reaches zero, there is a huge tub filled with water, which will empty itself directly below, drenching anyone or anything in the cage.

The mentalist directs his assistant until finally, just a few seconds before the tub is to empty, he determines the correct key. She fumbles with the lock and opens it ... 5 seconds after the tub empties on the magician.

But even the "standard" sucker tricks can be made to play in such a way that the audience is not the "sucker." For example, if you act as if you simply don't understand why the audience doesn't comprehend your simple statements, and you end with an "Oh, I see what you mean. No, it's not here -- it's back over there" kind of presentation -- and here's the important part -- without saying ANYTHING that indicates that they were stupid for not understanding you. That's the key thing.

Make it look as if it is your fault that they don't understand you, not their fault.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Under another topic this example of “magic” by my definition is not magic. It might be entertaining and dramatic but it is just some one playing 007 or Batman or something and not showing the effects of magic at all.

Quote:
On 2006-04-30 10:01, onezero1 wrote:

How about this: A Stage-Mage is shackled to a table, a large circular saw approaches, this is an overt escape, so the mage begins to pick the locks on his shackles, pick clamped between his teeth, time ticks by as the saw growls closer, hands are free! He sets to work on his feet, mere seconds left, but horror of horrors! He drops the pick! His feet still clamped fast, he stretches and contorts trying to reach the pick. The saw is shredding the table. It's all gone wrong. Certain death! Then at last he secures the pick, unlocks his feet and rolls to freedom as the saw rips through the space his body filled a second ago. Huzzah! The crowd goes wild.
Now that's what I would call a Sucker Trick.

If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
That's fair enough, however MY definition of magic in the above post includes escapology, which as far as I know is usually considered a subgenre of magic.
Ever see Lance Burton do the rollercoaster escape?
Anyway I know the examples I gave were a bit sketchy, but whats important is the difference in attitude between the two. Both sucker tricks, but one intended to thrill rather than humiliate.
Mr Palmer is right though, this ones been done to death,
Let it sink unto oblivion!
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » I'm gonna get you sucker! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL