The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Do gambling demonstrations diminish the impact of a magic show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Arsenio Hall, here's your sign..... Smile

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Oh, no. The audience roared! It deflated Copperfield completely.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Come to think if it, a good poker deal demo is probably a great way to get into something like the "Open Travellers" effect, where you show the aces in other poker hands and "palm them out" invisibly to make your own hand.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Knowing the advantage of the "letting them in on a secret" ruse is but another round in my chamber.
POOF!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Danny, by the point you describe, you're beyond scared. You're into complete panic - or well on your way to dead.

Different mental state. Smile

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2903 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Going back to the original question... Smile

For me, it all depends on how you position the show, i.e., how you sell it to the audience. If you sell it as a magic or illusion show, and I come to see that, and you do a gambling or card sharp routine, then I'd say, gee, where did that come from?

If you sell it as, for instance, "An Evening with Joe Schmoe," and I know Joe is a magician, then I'm going to accept whatever Joe does as part of the evening's entertainment.

A couple of years ago I caught Steve Wyrick's show in Vegas. It was mostly big illusions themed around an old airplane hangar. And it fit together. Then he brought out this small "setting" of a sort-of-Victorian back wall and a card table, and proceeded to do a close-up routine with cards. To me, it wasn't a change of pace, not the way it came out of left field; it was just incongruous.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16235 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think the first thing a magician should do is invent a character for himself and should avoid things that are incongruous to it. Otherwise he can not build an image and he becomes just another magician.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I've seen equally incongruous acts in Las Vegas as well. Melinda has (had) an "old tyme" saloon set where she climbed into a white (?) cannon (where did that come from???) and "shot" herself into a sparkling chrome and plexiglass box.

I had that puzzled look on my face not unlike the one my dog gives me when I try to talk to her about anything other than "food" (the only real word she understands)

Now, other than the cannon thing, if she had fired herself into an old time safe, at least that would have made some sense.

Whit Haydn has built a great character for himself this past year. As far as I'm concerned he's the only one I've seen who can successfully pull off a gambling (card sharp) demo/show along with his normal magic show. The "con man/swindler" character he's adopted fits perfectly as a bridge for both types of show. You know he's going to try and cheat you. In fact he even says so: "Don't take your eyes off me, I'll cheat you in a second!"
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Now we are getting to the point that I have been hoping someone would really develop. That is how to integrate the act properly.

I made a big mistake early in my career at the Renaissance Festival. I have always played Merlin out there. The second year, I introduced the Gene Anderson Newspaper Tear into the show. It got way too good a response to take it out. I tried the third year to "purify" the show by leaving it out, and I got too many customer complaints. So I put it back in. But I justified it.

It was a stretch, I'll admit. But it worked, and nobody questioned it again. It was very simple. If you have read T.H. White's The Once and Future King, you know that Merlin (in that book) is supposed to be living backwards in time. This became part of the premise.

My introduction went as follows: "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Texas Renaissance Festival proudly presents, the craftiest conjurer in all the realm, the personal advisor to King Arthur, and the man who lives backwards in time -- Merlin the Magician!"

They bought it.

Interestingly, when I played Hocus Pocus at Cavalier Dayes, I did not do the Newspaper Tear, and nobody missed it, because the character had never done it before.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
If the idea of magic is having supernormal powers, then a hypnosis demonstration during a magic show would be likely to decrease the audience's belief in those powers.

A gambling demonstration would probably do the same thing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Do gambling demonstrations diminish the impact of a magic show? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL