The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Discriminating People Suck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of The One
If you think all discriminating people suck, You are discriminating.

Just Kidding.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
402 Posts

Profile of Seance
Quote:
On 2006-05-03 00:53, Josh Riel wrote:
Assuming I am showing my ignorance.... I don't see the problem with the original story. Regardless of what everyone else was or was not doing, she perhaps thought you were in the way most.

Josh, the point was that the lady assumed that because Mai-ling and her parents were of Asian lineage that they would not be interested in anything non-Asian. She made a classic error of assumption and rudely told them to move so that she could sell the art that was in front of them.

This may not be bigotry, per se, but more in the vein of ignorance, greed and ill manners.

Kudos to the magician. He showed class.

Dave
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have been in almost exactly the same position. I know how it feels. Sometimes when it happens, I have a way of turning it around on the bigot.

Here's an example. I was booked into a few trade shows by a modeling agency here in Houston. Now I'm not a model. I'm a fat guy with a beard. But I'm good at trade show work, so I make some decent bucks when I do them.

I went in to pick up my check at the modeling agency, and the anorexic model behind the desk dig through the files to hand it to me. The check was not in an envelope, so she saw a bunch of zeroes after the first two digits. Her eyes got HUGE. She looked at me again and asked, "WHAT do you DO?"

I smiled and replied, "I'm a swim suit model."

And I walked out.

The look on her face was priceless.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Who hasn't been a victim of another's mistake? I certainly have TravisB. As a matter of fact, at 20 I began to take responsibilities as a job foreman, I have been a manager, project manager, foreman, positions of authority you might say. I have been in positions of authority, for the most part charged with folk who were older and many times more experienced than me. This inevitably lands a person such as myself in situations where people make incorrect assumptions. Only now at 31 am I getting over the hurdle of youthfulness. I also am large so people tend to think I'm tough, also I'm fat-ish so people tend to think I'm slow, I laugh and joke so people tend to think I'm never serious. Were I to hate everyone who read me wrong, I could never look in a mirror again as I have also been guilty of the same things.

I still don't think I see greed or bigotry or stupidity other than what is inherent in everyone. Perhaps ignorance, Perhaps ill manners, however this is what I'm reading. The situation as it was happening may have been different but we were not presented with video, just a written description, that is what I am commenting on.

Like my momma always used to tell me: "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see."
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2006-05-03 21:12, Josh Riel wrote:
Like my momma always used to tell me: "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see."

When the person is looking directly at you and pointing and is
loud and obnoxious you believe every ounce of what they are saying
and every ounce of you see as being discrminating.

Next time they have a gallery showing. I asking all of the
people in our stroke support group in wheelchairs and canes to
come in there and see how they feel about that.

haha. that'd be fun!

It was sorta two things that got to me with this loonytoon.
The wheelchair and the ethnicity.
She shoulda kept her mouth shut.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A long time ago, a fellow that my band was playing for defaulted on a contract. Because my bandleader had done something shady on the contract that I didn't know about, we couldn't go to the union over it.

One of our biggest fans was not exactly "connected," but he knew someone who had really big "connections," so he called him, and asked to have a contract put out on the clubowner. The fellow who was connected asked the amount of our weekly pay. When he heard what it was, he said,"That's an awfully small amount of money to get someone killed over. I have a better idea. He says that he needs more business (a lie, because we packed the place 6 nights a week!) -- Let's make sure he gets more business."

The plan was simple. He was to contact the presidents of two of the local chapters of the Banditos, and explain to them that they were to go over to this place, wearing their colors, park the bikes in the parking lot, come in and nurse a drink all evening. There was no way the man could order them out if they behaved themselves.

Just imagine ... all of those nice people coming home from work, dropping by to have a drink ... and there are BIKERS!!!!! ARRRRGGGGGH!!

Well, the law of Karma struck him before we had to. He was cleaning the pistol he carried when he did the bank deposit (three times a day -- what a paranoid!), and he forgot to unload it first. He shot the end off his index finger.

There are lots of ways to nudge the wheel.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
To make assumptions about a stranger based on appearance and prejudicial notions is rude and bigoted and stupid in and of itself--and can lead to all sorts of serious and harmful misjudgements. The stories on this page demonstrate that very well.

My first wife, before we met, was married to a very wealthy man in Kentucky, and lived on a ranch where they raised horses. She usually dressed like a cowgirl in jeans, and she was Cherokee Indian. At that time, there was a lot of prejudice against Cherokees in that area of the country, where they were generally considered poor and ill-educated.

Debra had a college degree, and was the lead singer of a Billy Holiday style jazz band. She played both piano and guitar beautifully, and could play jazz, classical, blues, and folk, and popular music equally well. She had a voice with a huge range, and could sing Joan Baez or Janis Joplin or show tunes all equally well.

She went into a music shop in Whitley City to look at guitars. The salesman ignored her for a long time, and seemed to deliberately avoid her. Finally she followed him around and made him answer some questions. "How much is that Martin?" He said, "That is a forty year old Dreadnaught, and a collector's item. I think you will probably want something a little less pricey. Martin's are among the most expensive guitars made, you know."

Debra says, "Really? What would you recommend for me?"

He took her over to show her a line of reasonably priced entry-level guitars. She picked one up and deliberately played some beginning chords badly. "Don't like the way this sounds. How much was that Martin?"

"Oh, that would be five grand!"

"May I see it?"

The sales clerk looked very put out, but he brought it down and let her look at it.

Debra looked up on the shelf nearby where the expensive carrying cases were. They were designed for pressurized air flights, check-on luggage, etc. and ran around $350-$450 dollars.

"If I buy this today, will you throw in one of those cases?"

The salesman grinned, certain she was just trying to save face. "Sure, come on back and get this, I will throw in the case and some free lessons..."

Debra suddenly let fly on the Martin with a complicated jazz riff, set it down and pulled a wad of $100's out of her jacket pocket that would choke a horse, and counted out $5000 in cash. The salesman almost wet himself. Most of his commission just went out the window with the $450 case he had just given away.

As he was filling out the receipt, she said, "I don't really need the lessons, but it was awfully generous of you to offer..." Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Beautiful!!!! Just plain beautiful!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Loved the story.
Can relate to the lessons
and the race part...

www.mai-ling.net
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2006-05-04 02:56, Whit Haydn wrote:
To make assumptions about a stranger based on appearance and prejudicial notions is rude and bigoted and stupid in and of itself--and can lead to all sorts of serious and harmful misjudgements.

I was representing my company at a trade show recently. Here is a summary of one of the exchanges I had with a representative of an office supply company:

OSC: You work at Smith Doyle?
Me: Yes, I do.
OSC: How do you like working there?
Me: I like it. It's better than the asphalt plant. More normal work hours.
OSC: Well, my company carries a large line of office supplies and office equipment. About how many copies do you make per day?
ME: Me? Maybe about a dozen or so on a busy day...
OSC: Only a dozen? It must be a small company...
ME: No, other people make more copies...that's just how many I make.
OSC: Well, do you have any idea how many copies the company makes per day?
ME: I'm not sure. You'd have to ask one of the ladies in the front office.
OSC: Uh, you mean you're NOT a secretary?
ME: No, I'm an assistant project manager.
OSC: Oh, well, I'm sorry.
End of exchange.

I'm thinking "Sorry? For what? I love my job!" I took a free pen and notepad and walked off.

At the same trade show, I was chatting with an associate, who worked for a completely different company, that was there for some classes they were offering. Here I was, sitting behind the table at the booth, wearing my company shirt, and everything saying "I work for this company". A woman came up to the booth and directed her speech about temporary skilled labor to my associate. After her speech, he politely informed her that HE didn't work for Smith-Doyle, but SHE did (pointing to me). The woman's face turned red, she somehow lost the ability to speak, and just walked off. My associate then asked me if that happened to me often. Sadly, I had to reply that it did indeed happen a lot to me.

Suffice it to say, that neither of those companies will get any business from us!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Amazing about the secretary thing, as anyone who actually wants to get things done at an office knows very well that one does not talk down to the office staff, especially those who are in charge of making sure the VIPs are kept up to date of events, guests, upcoming communications and meetings.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2006-05-04 12:16, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Amazing about the secretary thing, as anyone who actually wants to get things done at an office knows very well that one does not talk down to the office staff, especially those who are in charge of making sure the VIPs are kept up to date of events, guests, upcoming communications and meetings.

Having been a secretary at one time, I know the importance of that position. I cringe when I hear the ladies in the front office tell people on the phone, "I'm just the secretary...." When "Administrative Professionals" day rolled around a couple of weeks ago, I was the only one in the office who gave the ladies in the front anything. I told them that the guys in the office may not know and appreciate everything they do, but I sure did!
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My wife was the receptionist at Master Builders' Houston office. Master Builders is a division of Martin-Marietta, which sold concrete additives that make concrete cure faster, bond more strongly, etc., etc., etc.

She kept getting questions about the various kinds of additives, and although she knew the material, she could not legally give out advice on how to use it, because she lacked the necessary qualifications. All she needed was certification from the American Concrete Institute. So she talked her boss into sending her to the ACI school in Houston. It was a two-week course, done on weekends. She scored 97 on her exam, beating out two of their top salesmen by about 10 points.

She still had to prove herself from time to time.

But she enjoyed the challenge. In the long run, she saved the company money, increased the commissions the salesmen got, and they showed their appreciation.

I find that most of these uncomfortable situations can be avoided by asking a simple question. This question is "What do you do at ...?" Then you don't make the mistake of implying that a project manager is an office worker.

One of my sidelines is that I do some ad work for an up and coming banjo manufacturer. The number of female banjo players is very low. But one of the people I learned from back during the Great Folk Music Scare of the 1960's was Roni Stoneman. When she came to town, I sat in the front row of almost all of her first performances, and watched her like a hawk. Some of my friends asked, "How does it feel being beat out by a girl?"

I said, "Hey! Every time I watch her play, I learn something." There were only two banjo teachers in Houston at the time, and I was one of them! So I finally asked her for lessons. She sent me to her brother, Scotty, who had been her teacher. But she was discriminated against for years.

It's changing now. I never assume when a couple approaches our booth at a trade show that the man is the banjo player. Why? It's almost a 50-50 thing any more. The current winner of the banjo player of the year from SPBGMA is a young lady, 17 years old who plays one of our banjos. She certainly wouldn't have even considered it if anyone in our booth had said something like "Honey, can you actually play that?" Or if we had assumed that her boyfriend was the picker.

Margarette has the right idea. When people show their prejudices and don't apologize immediately, hit them where it hurts -- in the pocketbook.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
A patient was wheeled into the operating room from a car crash, but the surgeon came in to operate, took one look at the patient, and turned to a nurse and said, "I can't operate on this patient. This is my son." The surgeon was not really the father of the boy.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It wasn't that long ago that nobody could figure out this riddle. It never occurred to them that a woman (his mother) could ever be a surgeon.

Reading this thread, it looks like those thoughts are still in place yet today. Smile
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I owe what little vision I have in my right eye to the best eye surgeon in Houston who specializes in the kind of surgery I had.

About 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with a malignant melanoma in my right eye. This is the same thing that Jay Marshall had, except that I went in to have it corrected when I first noticed it. I didn't put it off. Mine was about the size of the eraser on the end of a wooden pencil. It was partially on the macula. If it had been two mm over, it would have possibly traveled down the optic nerve and spread to the rest of my body.

Dr. McPherson was able to save my eye by means of some very technical surgery involving radiation, and later, lasers. I lost about half the vision in my right eye. But I still have three dimensional vision.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Dr. McPherson's first name is Alice.

She has trained hundreds of eye surgeons the world over to do this same kind of work.

And she is a very fine person, indeed. I owe my eye and probably my life to her.

And now you know why my SASS handle is "Three Eyed Willy."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
In the mid to late 80's I used to play Softball with Teamsters in a league that played all over Queens, NY.  We had a game in Howard Beach right at the time the racial tensions were at a boiling point. Sharpton held a rally there and the Media was adding fuel to the fire .

We were fully expecting an all out brawl if anyone from the other team or neighborhood harrassed any of our players. Our team was made up of about 9 white guys and two black guys.

Right before the game, one of our players was leaning up against his brand new Cadillac when a lady yells down to him " Hey you, get the hell off that car!!"
I guess she felt that he could not afford such a car.

I'm watching and waiting for him to let the lady have it. He says nothing but takes out his keys and without even looking at her gets in and turns on the radio.

Her jaw dropped and the look on her face was priceless. I still marvel at the amount of poise and class it took to restrain himself from saying and doing what most of us would have done in that situation.

edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Here is a story that I'd like to share with you all. BTW I'm enjoying reading these.

I'm in a wheelchair and have friends that are also confined to a wheelchair. Well this friend of mine told me he was waiting for his wife outside of a department store. It was a warm afternoon and he was drinking a coke out of a can. Well he had the coke on his lap when this lady walked out of the store and dropped some change into his coke can. Man he was furious. Not at the lady for dropping some change into his coke can but at the fact that the coke was ruined.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-05-04 18:59, edh wrote:
Well he had the coke on his lap when this lady walked out of the store and dropped some change into his coke can.

Long ago before my dad's stroke, he used to have long hair.
We used call him dungeon master because the cartoon depict
an old wise chinaman with long hair and beard ...
well he didn't have a beard but you get the idea.

He was waiting for my mom and I to finish shopping at
the grocery store. And knowing dad, he worked in his
clothes and ran around town in his dirty messy work
clothes.

While he was sitting on the bench a guy gave him a
couple of bucks becuase he thought he could use it.

Now he thought it was funny. So ever so often he'll
bring that story up.

When my dad is a 'bad' Louie, we joke around with
him that we are going to have him sell pencils on the
street corner.

and he gets all "ooohhhnoooo..." on us.
its cute.

we're gonna keep him no matter what.
:)

www.mai-ling.net
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Hey Frances -- Louie will always be a "keeper!"

I still remember when he walked to the front of the stage at the TAOM and said:

"Fu Manchu"

"Many man smoke."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Discriminating People Suck (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL