The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Pan Problems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
I have a new Bizar de Magia double load Dove Pan and am having trouble getting the load to drop. It seems to happen most with the first load. If I drop the second load first (if you get my drift) it also sticks.

I wonder if there is not a problem with the diameter related to the relative diameters of the load pans and the main pan.

Is there some way to tune a dove pan so it works as smoothly as possible?
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21951 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
From your explaination, I read it as you have both load chambers in the lid. A double load pan only holds one load at a time. The second is picked up after the first load chamber has been deposited. The second is usually hidden behind an object or below the table somehow, depending on your show.

I suggest you actually try the props with something inside the load chambers. Fill both loads with candy all the way to the top. Place one in the lid and the now try to put the other load in the lid.

If this is not what you ment, please explain futher!
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
I am using each load indiviually. I have wondered a little about whether the weight of each load is too little. The objects I am vanishing (that is what's in the pan originally) are of supper soft sponge and do need to compress a little. This may also have an effect.

Obviously, I am not doing the standard bake a cake routine.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3060 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
So let me get this straight. You are using the dove pans to VANISH a load? or two loads? So you need to pick up one load, then drop it off before picking up a second? Is that right? Maybe you'd better describe the routine in detail and move this to the secret session area so we can discuss it properly.
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
I am turning one (fast food) thing into another (fruit and vege). That is I vanish one item and simultaneously produce another item.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21951 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is why you are have a problem. The Dove pan is usually used only with flat items, such as playing cards, for soda crackers and a jack playing card to Cracker Jack popcorn. Or fire to something. Or as you suggested makeing a cake, a little flower, water, and cake, etc.

The sponges is pushing up the load back up in the locking position or not allowing it to fall and release.

I suggest you find another prop for your purposes. Like an exchange device that has compartments that can hold both your items.

It took me 3 years to find the correct exchange device.

Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
I think I need to clarify. The load is dropping, but one side will tend to hang about a little so that it drops on an angle and doesn't settle where it should. Thus exposing the workings.

I have been working with it both empty and with the props. Both ways it sticks so it isn't just the sponge.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21951 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Check the springs, they should all be away from the inside of the lid side equal distance. Are they the same length. I really cannot see how this would happen. Place the lid down completely on the pan. All clips should dis-engage, and the load drops. There is no way it can pick up the load once released.

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
I think Bill is right on. Sounds like a clip problem to me. The clips on my dove pan are attached with a single rivet so it has a tendacy to pivot. Make sure all the clips are straight.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20501 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Sometimes you can repair a moving rivet by scaring it (inside) with a sharp tool and then using epoxy glue on it. Nothing last long on problem props. That's why there are auctions! I'm very grateful for the two Rings N Things pans I bought thirty years ago. They have out lasted every other brand I have ever had.

Good Luck

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
The Great Stevini
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of The Great Stevini
Quote:
On 2006-05-04 00:49, wmhegbli wrote:
From your explaination, I read it as you have both load chambers in the lid. A double load pan only holds one load at a time. The second is picked up after the first load chamber has been deposited. The second is usually hidden behind an object or below the table somehow, depending on your show.

I suggest you actually try the props with something inside the load chambers. Fill both loads with candy all the way to the top. Place one in the lid and the now try to put the other load in the lid.

If this is not what you ment, please explain futher!

I just bought a Morrissey Double Load Dove Pan and was having the problem you mention (different from the original post). I'm relatively new to magic and see now how each load must be done separately. Note: it took me all of 5 minutes to get the answer thanks to the Café (thanks, wmhegbli!).

So I'm planning to produce the cake with the 2nd load. I'll probably use a rubber chicken with the first load and claim I missed an ingredient. However, the cake is not an easy thing to hide as the 2nd load. Is this usually how it's done?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
You are correct, in that a sponge cake would not be a easy second load to conceal. I would rethink the routine and use something for the second load that would not interfere with the lid so it could be accessed smoothly and quickly. If you are set on using a sponge cake for a second load, you wcould buy a second dove pan and have the lid already on the cake and do a switch. I'm pretty sure that a single load dove pan lid will be compatible with the double load pans, and vica-versa, but check with the manufacturer to make sure. On disadvantage to this method would be that the sponge cake will be compressed longer, and might not open up as quickly. You could script your routine in a way that loading the cake for the second production will work, but it might take some practice to get the lid on.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Great Stevini
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of The Great Stevini
Thanks, Regan. I had thought of investing in a second pan to have the cake preloaded. That may be the easiest solution.

In the meantime, I'll practice loading the cake. So far I can get the lid on smoothly, but concealing it will be difficult to overcome especially with kids being unpredictable (i.e. walking around during the routine).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Pan Problems (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL