The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Keith Lack's Creature (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I am not sure where to post this, but here it goes:

Tonight I was performing Keith Lack's wonderful "Creature". It is a very gentle, yet bizzare at the same time. Because of this I perform it for children. In my presentation I end by causing the creature to vanish (a simple retention vanish) as I am "handing" him to the spectator. Tonight, I did the routine for a Mexican family. They had a four year old girl, and she loved the routine. I "handed" the creature to her mother, but "oopps! He can only be seen when it is dark!". A bit later this little girl saw me again and spoke in spanish to her father. Being a gringo I had no idea what she said. Her father translated to me that his daughter wanted to "see the animal" again. I did it again, but this time I tried to hand it to her, and she freaked out and jumped a mile! I should have listened to her again because her father said that she wanted to "see the animal again", but in fact (something he told me later) she wanted to "see the Chupacabra again". Guess who just found a new presentation Smile Yeah, I know that you should not frighten a child, but......every now and then.....awwwww, heck, you know me!

Keith's "Creature" is a fantastic effect and if you do not yet have one, GET ONE!!!! You will not regret it! Smile
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1323 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Just my opinion but when I received the gimmick I was amazed. The colour was totally off and did not look realistic at all. I am not talking about the face part which was good but the other part. The whole point that part of the gimmick was recognisable was so that you COULD flash it briefly, but there is no way you could because it was not realistic and stood out like a sore thumb. I thought how could someone sell this? I tried it on a few people and as I had thought they spotted it straight away. I returned it back to the dealer for a refund.

Sorry Keith. Maybe a slight redesign is needed. This is my opinion of course.

Best wishes

Angelo
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I have that problem a bit too.
Yours,

Ivan
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
I hear voices in my head saying that Doug Higley should've done the molding/artistic crafts....(no offence Keith)
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I have never had the problem as no one is looking for it even after the vanish. It would be like using a thumb tip that has been painted blue (yes, I have done that). People just do not notice these things. Start using it regularly, and you will see just how powerful this "creature" can be! Smile
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1515 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Basically this is a piece of crap, money I could have just thrown out the window. Also Keith Lack's customer service is terrible. I had a problem with the key melt
gimmick and he was supposed to have replaced this last year. He told me on 2 occasions he was sending me a new one and he never sent it or followed up with me. Now he does not respond to emails. My suggestion is stay away from this seller and his poor quality items.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
503 Posts

Profile of Corey K
I love this thing. Noone has ever spotted it. It's really easy to disguise anyways.. it's smaller than a thumbtip and like the thumbtip, it is not meant to be stared directly at.

Why not pretend to hand them the creature, and while doing so drop the gimmick in your pocket?

I don't know what you guys are doing, but every one I show this to absolutely freaks. The reactions alone are worth the price.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I agree that it can play extremely great. But the one I have stands out a lot. And the advantage of the thumbtip is that it is worn on the thumb and it is easier to hide. Maybe I am doing it the wrong way.
Yours,

Ivan
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I was fortunate, I ordered it twice one from Kieth and one from some guy on the Café. Kieths was horrible and two years later I am still waiting to hear back from him. But the second one was and is perfect.
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Yup, strongly agreed Smile

Terrible customer service Smile

Keith promised to sent me 2 sets a few times - replacement for the defects in his product: THE EGG: Smile

Few months doen the road...he promised to sent, till today, nothing! No e-mail heard again ..empty promises...not a man of words.... Smile

I agreeded with ALL the above post....stay away from this seller, his poor customer services! Smile

p/s: This is the FIRST TIME in my 179 post I ever Bad Mouth a dealer...sigh..Smile why is this guy behave this way Smile anyone knows him? Smile my customers & me are very upset with him Smile
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
338 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
This is terrible customer service truly. I belive in 100% customer service..
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
100% customer service is one issue, if not is also ok.......no problem Smile

But what PUZZLED me most is what you have problems with his products...you e-mail & he will reply quickly......:

".... Hello,
>>
>> Send me your address and I'll get you two more of the ones with the
>> bafel
>> at the bottom.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Keith

When the reply came, we are so touched...wow this guy is great!:) but after waiting a few weeks....nothing.....so we sent another e-mail & the reply was:

>hELLO,

>i NEED YOUR MAILING ADDRESS.

>bEST,

>KEITH

ok so we wait...AFTER 4.5 months...still nothing...so we sent again another e-mail.....after that...NO MORE REPLY... Smile

Now I am wondering, if this co. first do NOT reply me, not so bad...is ok with us... Smile

BUT if PROMISED to sent(we did'nt compel him...nothing) & we waited & waited & nothing...then something is not right.

As a human, esp. man should honour what he says & not behave this way.....if cannot deliver, don't promise in the first place...I believe I am not the one...many more have the same experience......but why behave this way... I am very very puzzled by the reaction.......a mystery......
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Keith has a number of GREAT products,...BUT,...because of all of the horror stories about his "customer service", I've made a decision to not deal directly with him or buy any of his products directly from him. Life is too short to have to knowingly put up with such aggravation or potential aggravation. Hopefully, all of Keith's products that interest me I will eventually be able to acquire either used from another Café member or directly from a reputable dealer.

I thought that Bob Cassidy had long ago "retired the trophy" for worst customer service. Judging by the posts here on the Café, it now appears that this competitive event is once again an active event and has at least two entrants.

(Sigh)

Mike

P.S. I can't help but notice that Keith continues to operate his "business" under his middle name of Arlen (Arlen Studios http://www.arlenstudio.com/ ) yet goes by the name Keith Arlen Lack. Maybe, by using his last name of "Lack", this is his "inside joke" (or, perhaps a subconscious portent or warning) that his customer service is, apparently, Lacking. Too bad. He has a lot of neat and high quality products--any of which I'd be proud to own and/or collect.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Just wondering if a man promise you something, he don't deliver, he promise you ONCE again, but again don't deliver..... mood swing behaviour...is this a warning signs of male menopause?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I can't answer the lack of customer service. His service to me was exceptional. But that was a couple of years ago. I don't know about his current situation.

About the "creature" being easy to spot. I immediately decided the TT idea wouldn't fly so I simply treated it like a thimble. I close my (really empty)right hand, talk about catching the creature or whatever, and as I cup my hands together I transfer the creature (finger palmed in my left pinky, opening outward) to my right pinky. It works perfectly and when it's time to "vanish" it my left pinky once again curls around the creature and takes it away. If you need an excuse, just go into your left pocket for some "creature food" or whatever and ditch the gimmick. I've even used this pocket ruse to switch the creature for a small doll hand so it can reach out and take the food before withdrawing into the darkness once again.

Think people, think!

If you don't like dealing with Keith, that's no excuse to pass over this effect. Many stores now carry this.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Great ideas Dave. Thanks.
Yours,

Ivan
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1323 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
The point it is that the item is sold with the ability to look like part of your body on the expectation that you can flash the gimmick and it wont be seen. If you are just saying ignore it and treat it like a thumbtip which is never seen - alas I don't buy it. The point is a thumbtip looks like a thumb so that it will not be noticed and you CAN flash it. People who say you can paint your thumbtips blue and with handling it should never be seen - well again I think that is just stupid. You are then limiting your handling to open and clean use of the thumbtip (ie closed fingers). I am more than happy with my silk and thumbtip handling as it looks so natural and fair BECAUSE it looks like my thumb.

If Creature was sold as just as a face and with no other detailing on it then I would not have complained. But it is not sold as so. It comes with the extra detailing tha allows you to flash it otherwise what is the point of having the details if you are not supposed to flash it? I am being vague as I don't want to expose too much.

I think people do think and often treat products they buy as starting points and allow them to grow into potential new magic. The amount of magic I have purchased and never been happy with which resulted in personal modifications is quite large. The very least a product should be able to do what it is sold to do. Minor modifcations are usually expected.

Wow! Can't believe how strongly I feel. Amazed myself! Smile

Best wishes

Angelo
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It's true that it doesn't hide as well as a TT, but I'd be even happier if mine didn't have that "extra detailing" on it. Just the creature alone would be fine with me.

If he did it the way I described, someone would invariably complain that it was too "visible." Oh well...I guess you can't please everyone.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2006-05-07 18:22, Dave VanVranken wrote:
I guess you can't please everyone.

I agree, but this is one effect that "gets 'em" every time, and I never leave home without it! Smile
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Penguin now sells it with a DVD. Does that mean Keith Lack is back in business?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=12184

The Effect
We all have them, little things living on us! You know, dust mites and small parasitic critters. You have most likely seen blown up photos in a science magazine or on television of them. Yuk!!!! I would point out that some people have even larger things crawling about their person. Magi have been known to carry a small demon familiar with them from time to time. To aid in certain spells and other magical endeavors. Something that must keep to the shadows. Only legend..... till now.

Now you can produce a creature at any time in your cupped hands or from a handfull of leaves, dirt, candy, pop corn, silk scarf or coin purse. The posibilities are endless. Once the creature has manifested itself, open your hands to reveal there is nothing there. Yet, you can re-cup your empty hands and produce the creature once more. Again open your hands to show nothing there.

Very easy to do so you can focus on the performance. This is a piece for that special moment when you feel like really freaking someone out! I always get asked "how did you do that?" Now, I tell them I have a little helper and I show him to them. It creates a very strange moment. Supplied with DVD instructions and the improved hand made gimmick.
~Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Keith Lack's Creature (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL