The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Philosopher and Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
[quote]On 2006-05-30 09:25, JackScratch wrote:
Quote:
I deny it. I insist that in order to be a good magicican, one must be a philosopher at the same time. You have to impart something deaper than simply doing a "trick" to be a good magician. It is essential to the art form.

Why?
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
[quote]On 2006-05-30 17:45, Whit Haydn wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-30 09:25, JackScratch wrote:
Quote:
I deny it. I insist that in order to be a good magicican, one must be a philosopher at the same time. You have to impart something deaper than simply doing a "trick" to be a good magician. It is essential to the art form.

Why?

Thought I summed it up pretty completely. So we aren't just doing "tricks". So that our sole purpose in life isn't just fooling people. That may suit you, but I feel like magic should be slightly more than just a 3rd grade riddle.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I don't think you have to "impart" something "deeper" than the trick itself in order for magic to be an artform.

There is an awful lot of stuff going on in the process of the trick itself that is of human and intellectual interest.

Why must we "impart" something deeper than our artform itself?

People used to think the same way about painting. They felt that a painting had to express some meaning or make a point.

Magic is a perfectly legitimate artform in its own right. It does not need to have meaning "saddled on" to it.

And why would you assume that I would be satisfied with anything less than art?

I believe that the dilemma itself is the message and meaning of our art. Everything else is dressing and entertainment--the cape of theater that hides the sword of the dilemma.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
The problem with the idea that we should be philosophers or convey our philosophy is - is it our intent on starting a cult, club, followers, guild, religion, secret society,... anon?
POOF!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
And those whose hearts are fixed on Reality itself deserve the title of Philosophers.

Plato, Republic, 380BC )

Can your heart be fixed on Reality as you are doing magic? Obviously not!

That’s the nuts so give me the pot.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think in the meeting of performer and audience in any live performance art, there is a larger circle to consider than just the particularities of the given art. I am NOT speaking of tacked on "meaning" or "message" but a consideration of this gathering of people, tonight; a recognition of the need for sharing, communication, and affirmation of humanity. The "nowness" of this moment. You can always tell which performers keep this in mind, and which do not.

Otherwise, who is it for?

Yes, hearts must be fixed on reality, and what it is to be human in the year 2006.

Jack Shalom
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-05-30 19:35, kregg wrote:
The problem with the idea that we should be philosophers or convey our philosophy is...

Exactly, they are separate functions.

Art can express a philosophical argument, IE CONVEY it.

The problem comes when trying to take working magic as conveyance to arbitrary argument or philosophy.

If your argument suggests a physical metaphor, go for it. That is called making art.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Look, I will concede I was lucky and you have all had a bad beat. Get over it and lets play the next hand. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
No one you observe telling the truth can possibly be doing magic?

Tommy
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Tommy, that'sa a different thread and one that has not been resolved in the minds of all. Myself in particular. In fact, I think you are as wrong as it is possible to be. Magic is all about truth. So back off, you haven't won squat.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-06-03 13:22, tommy wrote:

No one you observe telling the truth can possibly be doing magic?

Actually, magic is about a truth which resonates with the person though it is dissonant with the normal experience of common reality.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
That's what I was thinking Jonathan.

Truth & lies are our tools and our weapons. We're not talking about a breech of ethics here.

Is one more apt to use a butter knife to turn a screw or a screw driver?
POOF!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-06-03 16:54, kregg wrote:
...Is one more apt to use a butter knife to turn a screw or a screw driver?

We do the best we can with materials at hand.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2006-06-03 16:54, kregg wrote:
Is one more apt to use a butter knife to turn a screw or a screw driver?

It depends. Are you asking me or my wife?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
No magician is a philosopher can be confirmed by the observation of those who tell the truth.
No one you observe telling the truth can possibly be doing magic according to Whit. It is possibly someone telling the truth is philosophising.
It follows that Whit is wrong when he claims that you can be a photosphere and a magician at the same time.
Jack is also wrong but he can not accept the fact that he tells lies when he does magic.
In fact every one has lost the argument except for yours truly.

Yours truly

Tommy

:)

Tommy
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I am a photosphere, Tommy. You HAVE to be a magician to turn into a photosphere. Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I was driving one day and turned into a Photomat once. Does that count?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Oh no! he only got me again. I will get him one day. I must try harder. Smile

Tommy
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2006-06-03 20:21, tommy wrote:
No magician is a philosopher can be confirmed by the observation of those who tell the truth.
No one you observe telling the truth can possibly be doing magic according to Whit. It is possibly someone telling the truth is philosophising.
It follows that Whit is wrong when he claims that you can be a photosphere and a magician at the same time.
Jack is also wrong but he can not accept the fact that he tells lies when he does magic.
In fact every one has lost the argument except for yours truly.

Yours truly

Tommy

:)

You are dilusional. The only person you are lying to is yourself. So far you responses to my posts have all very carefuly ignored the parts of my posts that clearly show what you are doing incorrectly. I have no use for this variety of sillyness. You don't get to declare yourself the winner. You can do it, but that action comes with an instantanious loss of credibility. Assuming you had any to start with.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Jack

It would be impolite for me to say; I very carefully ignore you as I do not want to cause anguish and heartrending jolts to your insufferable conceit. A quiet, unostentatious demeanour and gentlemanly reserve are best calculated to answer your posts I feel. Whit on the other hand is no sucker, knows a joke when he sees one, and the comments were meant for his ears rather than your yours. So I will say nothing in response to your comments.

Love

Tommy

X

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Philosopher and Magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL