The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Writing with fire (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ruiefe
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon
131 Posts

Profile of ruiefe
In an effect using cigar boxes, I want to reveal a prediction using fire. So, I thought about writing the prediction in a paper with some (almost invisible) substance that, when ignited, would burn slowly to reveal the prediction.

The problem is that, the method I've seen uses potassium nitrate (?) (aka salpetre).
and this product isn't avalaible anywhere I looked...

Can someone help with a different product to do the same thing?
Thank you
Rui Fernandes
"Carpe diem" - Horatius
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I don't know of any other common chemical that will do what you want. However, I have never had any trouble finding saltpetre (also spelled, at least in English, saltpeter). Perhaps you are not looking in the right places. Have you tried an internet search? Saltpetre has a number of industrial uses such as in preserving certain foods by pickling.

Alternatively, you might try writing the message on a piece of cardboard and covering it with flashpaper. This isn't what you asked for but it is a revelation by fire.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
SOMETIME'S A DIABOLICAL MIND COMES IN HANDY, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'RE A MAGICIAN.

I did an experiment.

I just took a piece of FP and wrote a message on it (al la "fingerpaint" with white glue (Elmer's Glue-All).

I dried it in the microwave (NO, this WILL NOT IGNITE THE PAPER), touched a cigarette to the paper, ... and ........ VOILA!!.

My message was left in an easily-read ash on the plate.

I'm claiming invention of this effect, but I'd be pretty amazed if no one's come up with this before.

It's a pretty spectacular way to reveal a force, or whatever.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Quote:
On 2002-12-05 21:29, ruiefe wrote:
In an effect using cigar boxes, I want to reveal a prediction using fire. So, I thought about writing the prediction in a paper with some (almost invisible) substance that, when ignited, would burn slowly to reveal the prediction.
The problem is that the method I've seen uses potassium nitrate (?) (aka salpetre).
and this product isn't avalaible anywhere I looked...
Can someone help with a different product to do the same thing?
Thank you

If you are a news group user, go to alt.pryotechnic, There are endless ways to get pot. nitrate there. You can also search the other pryo groups. Further, you can request ideas. Most of the posters there are helpful... Did you know that if you cover a coin with FP and light it, the area under the coin will not burn? Write your prediction where the coin will cover it. Nice effect. Slim Price
:sun:
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Photovoric
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Photovoric
You can get Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) From http://www.Skylighter.com They also sell other pyrotechnic-related chemicals Smile
ruiefe
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon
131 Posts

Profile of ruiefe
I'm trying to solve the problem in alt.pyrotechnics as sanscan told me.
Unfotunately, Skylighter does not sell this product outside the USA.

Thank you anyway, Photovoric
Thank you all for your help and for your ideas.
Rui Fernandes
"Carpe diem" - Horatius
Ojasa
View Profile
New user
U.S.
77 Posts

Profile of Ojasa
One way I have used is to glue flash string to the rear of the paper spelling out the word you wish. As long as you use a thick enough paper, and keep it from being back lit you can achieve the effect I believe you are looking for.
that magic is an art, and an art worth your learning. The question is rather, whether you be capable of learning it? Magic is somewhat like poetry, men are to be born so: I mean, with inclinations to it, though both may be heightened by discourse and prac
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Cheaptrick, I don't recall where I read or saw it, but it seems it was in an old 1950's magic book that had that same idea. And while I don't think it was Elmers glue, it was some type of liquid glue.

If I can find the reference (I would just have to come across it again, because, I don't have time to look through all of my books) but I do believe it probably predates you, and your "invention".

Good thinking, and since you "discovered it" without the reference, that is commendable, but just not new. Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
ruiefe
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon
131 Posts

Profile of ruiefe
Thank you all.
I've already found saltpeter (in a store that sells chemical products to schools).
Anyway, I found that, for my purposes, it burns too slowly.
I think the ideas here are stronger.
If I don't find a way to "use" the time it takes to burn the image in the paper, I might use one of these ideas.
Rui Fernandes
"Carpe diem" - Horatius
markkwan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of markkwan
cheaptrick, you have an interesting idea. I will go home tonight and see for myself. thanks.
What good is a night, when you can't break it.
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Sorry Cheaptrick,
While you came up with this on your own, it is not a new idea and has been used before. In fact I used the concept several years ago.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Writing with fire (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL