The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Borrowed Ring and Pencil rountine, any recommendations? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lawrenceng
View Profile
New user
Calgary
84 Posts

Profile of lawrenceng
Hi all,
I am looking for a borrowed finger ring and pencil routine to start off as an opener and close with a ring flight effect. Thank you in advance for any recommendations!
thanks y'all
lawrenceng
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Seems the same as Ring on Stick to me.
Michael Skinner has a video on exactly that though neither is completely impromptu.

2 versions.

version 1 uses a handkerchief.
version 2 does not.

Michael Webber has a "5 Cent" ring on Stick which is completely impromptu in
'Life Savers'.

On an unrelated note, Webber also tips the gaff to Pin Deomonium in that book as well.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi,

I would also direct you the Ron Bauer Series. THE CURSED RING is an excellent routine for the ring-on-stick.

Regards,

Paul Green
lawrenceng
View Profile
New user
Calgary
84 Posts

Profile of lawrenceng
Thank you guys! You think it would be too much to ask to give a brief description on the routines?
Or is it possible to find the descriptions somewhere? Cheers!
thanks y'all
lawrenceng
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I agree with the Bauer recommendation, Paul. And it's only $10 retail!

A description? A borrowed ring magically penetrates a pencil!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5322 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
And then there is a very good routine in Scott’s book Magishing My Way.

I have used the Skinner ring on pencil routine for years and years (learned it from Mike back in the late 70’s). I also have used Ron Bauer’s very good routine (paired with his routine for the classic “Gypsy Curse”) for years and years (since the mid 90’s).

However, since buying Scott’s book, reading and learning his very nice and logical routine, I find myself performing it most often now.

I will still do a bit of the Skinner routine as an impromptu quickie when I can borrow everything needed and don’t have the time for the longer routine.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
lawrenceng
View Profile
New user
Calgary
84 Posts

Profile of lawrenceng
What was I thinking asking for a description! DUH! Ok, thank you all for your wonderful suggestions, now's just a process of elimination. Hopefuly my friendly neighbourhood magic shop has the required resources and can demonstrate them so I can see which one fits me the best.
thanks y'all
lawrenceng
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10701 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
This effect can also be found in Geeorge Anderson's "Magic Digest called "Ring and a Pencil" and is impromtu.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Lawrenceng:

Must it be a penatration effect? I really like the rising ring on pencil effect--an olden goldie found in a lot of library books. There is a really cool variation using IT in the ITR Book (really a pamphlete) by Jon Jensen called "The Power of Love." It is also an animated ring on pencil effect and everything can also be borrowed.

Peace.

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
lawrenceng
View Profile
New user
Calgary
84 Posts

Profile of lawrenceng
Alleycat:
You brought up a very good point, it doesn't have to be a penetration effect. Could you point more specifically to which books you are referring to? I am new at this, have borrowed a couple of magic books from the local library but did not come across the said effect.
thanks y'all
lawrenceng
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
587 Posts

Profile of wayman
Ring On, Ring Off:

A borrowed ring penetrates the center of a pen that is held at both ends by a spectator. Just as easily the ring is pulled off the pen.

Nice little routine that you could add to the others, very slow and smooth and its on Sol Stones "Quick & Casual Close up"
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2002-12-06 11:08, lawrenceng wrote:
What was I thinking asking for a description! DUH!
I want to apologize. I didn't mean to be sarcastic, and I wasn't trying to make you feel foolish. I'm truly sorry if I've offended you.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1872 Posts

Profile of Lior
Charlei Miler on the Stevens Video Tapes
has a fast one
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Big Package plus with the Big Trivia, The small Trivia, The puzzles
The First letters, The Celebrities, Subliminal PowerPoint, the VMC lecture
and many more routines [/url]

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17041 Posts

Profile of joseph
Daryl has a nice version on one of the Stars of Magic tapes. Frank Sinatra wanted Michael Skinner to teach him the ring on stick, so his must be good. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
limkris
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
164 Posts

Profile of limkris
Another possibility with rings and a stick: Gary Kurtz has a moving ring on pencil with 2 rings and one moves towards the other. Paul Daniels did a version where the 2 rings move towards each other on the pencil.
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
For the Ring On Stick you cannot go wrong with the Skinner video. Also in the book Stars of Magic Vernon's routine is in that book. The routine Mike Skinner does is the Vernon routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Borrowed Ring and Pencil rountine, any recommendations? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL