The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » "I feel like I've just been had!" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Jake,

Send me two or three hundred dollars if it make you feel better, I don't mind helping you feel had. LOL
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Just want to very gently point out a thought on an above post. It is mentioned that the mark has a slim chance of actually winning at the shell game.

He has absolutely no chance.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
The mark who believes that he has a chance IS a mark. An EASY mark at that. Like Barnum said, in the CoMPLETE quote, that is almost never fully stated: "There's a sucker born every minute - and TWO to TAKE him!"

Gentlepeople, if we are to entertain with the shells (or the monte, thimble rigging, fast & loose, pricking the garter, the purse swindle or any of the myriad of other games of non-chance that we use as magi), then it behooves us to be ENTERTAINING about it!

Ring in a couple of EXTRA peas, change their color in the middle of the routine, do a large load, dump in a pearl ("a pearl of wisdom for you, folks - NEVER play this little swind.. er, uh, game!")... you get the idea!

This way, you become a NICE PERSON for teaching them that they CAN'T win, even if they THINK that they know how the game is rigged!

As I sometimes say in my chop cup routine (which I pass off as a "simplified version of the 'old shell game' done with ONE shell and One Pea!") "Folks, there's always some grifter out there who's at least five steps ahead of you, six steps ahead of the law and a dozen steps ahead of the tax man as he skips town with YOUR hard-earned cash, which is now HIS ill-gotten gains!"

At THAT point, I let one of them pick up the cup and reveal the large ball.

"But I never could figure out how they managed to get the *&%@#ed BAG in there!" and, of course, they pick up the cup to find the BAG the cup came in under the cup - the bag which has ben sitting in plain sight the entire time!

Which also shows that I can be fooled, too!

It takes the "sting" out of it and makes us (the audience and myself) ALL "victims" of the unscrupulous con man ... who doesn't even exist!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
You could say that the cups and balls is a little like the three shell game, but again you could perform it to make somebody feel "had" or as entertainment. Mostly it is entertainment. I've never had anyone feel like they have been had.. well there are some people that think any trick that they can't figure out they have been had... and I kindly inform them that I am here to entertain them and not fool them

Stevie D
-Stevie D
william the 3rd
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of william the 3rd
I actually do the routine in a way that makes it known they are going to be "had". I tell them up front that it is the point of the game. I also tell them that after I am through they will be a little wiser about a sure thing.
This is also coupled with them knowing I am not going to take their money, but I might take their watch....just kidding.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » "I feel like I've just been had!" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL