We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Eight Perfect Faros (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Tomasio!
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
21 Posts

Profile of Tomasio!
Hi all,

My name is Thomas Wilmes and I have introduced myself a long time ago. I haven't posted much on this forum since as you can see. A shame, because I've seen so much knowledge being shared here.

I hope you will put your trust in me in the near future and are willing to share you wonderfull hobby with me.

For now, I'd like to share with you a video I've taped today: Eight Perfect Faros

I've been interested in the faro shuffling technique and everyday I learn something new. First I was focused on other things, like the surroundings but now I've got myself so far that I can focus more on the shuffle itself. I've practiced the shuffle in front of people and this really helped me getting more confidence.

I hope you will enjoy it, and hopefully you're willing to share some thoughts with me.

Here the link:
http://media.putfile.com/Eight-Perfect-Faros

Tom.
Looking for Apocalypse vol 3 / The Books of Wonder
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Wow.
Tomasio!
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
21 Posts

Profile of Tomasio!
Hi Daegs,

I've been looking for people who are trying the faro shuffle themselfs. I'd love to hear their experience with the shuffle and how this could fit into a performance/routine.

Maybe you have some experience in this ?

Thanks for sharing!

Tom.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Nice job
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Good technique... What effects do you do with it?
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Tomasio!
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
21 Posts

Profile of Tomasio!
Thank you Marvello.
It's nice to hear that you like it. Are you practicing the perfect faro yourself?

NeoMagic
Good to hear that you find the technique is good. I'm planning to use the perfect faro shuffle in my upcoming routine.
Here's how I want my routine to like like:

1 new deck order: false shuffles, cuts

2 Second Deal: face up, face down, stud

3 Bottom Deal: face up, face down, stud

4 Pass: classic, turnover, whoop! control

5 Greek Deal

6 Stacking: overhand, riffle

7 Estimation

closer: Three Card Monte

Bonus: Dice Stacking

Maybe the perfect faro shuffle could go after the false shuffles (1)?
I don't want to include eight perfect faros in the routine, but one or two perfect faros purely for demonstration would be nice in my opinion.
The theme is gambling and sort of an exposé. Not explaining every detail to the audience, but to show them the sleights. Talking about how a cheat could preserve the whole deck, controlling every card, dealing seconds, bottoms, undoing the cut, bypassing the cut card, stacking the deck, estimation and a little con game at the end. It shouldn't be longer then 30 minutes.

I hope I can make this entertaining to watch and also educative for the people.

So there are not really effect included in the routine. Although Triumph! from Dai Vernon would be a great one to inlcude I think. Fastest Gun Alive from Darwin Ortiz is also a nice effect. But I've chosen to do the more demonstration style of performing.

I haven't any effect with the Faro Shuffle. Although I have a nice one. Execute five (out) faros in advance. When you are about to entertain your audience show them the cards are mixed and tell them how a cheat would make the whole deck in new order again. After three perfect (out) faros the deck is back in it's original order. It's not really an effect but it looks nice in my opinion.
I've just read that a man named "Paul Gertner" did "UnShuffled" at the "Tonight Show" I haven't heard of Paul Gertner before but I'm certain that I will check his material. I'm also not familiar with the trick. It has writing on the side of the deck and after eight shuffles it spelled: the tonight show
I hope to see it on the internet, (maybe it's online) but I've heard it from someone on a forum that this would be a great trick.

Thanks for your reply!

Tom.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Thomas,

Good work on the Faros. Below is a clip of a Café member doing "unshuffled". I liked your Faro, I was kind of surprised at how you wove the corner of the LH pack into, basically, the middle of the end of the RH packs. It's not the way I'm used to seeing it and not they way I do it at all. But it looks pretty good. They way Billy does it in the video clip is something I've NEVER seen before. LOL. But it gets the job done.

As far as your routine, I agree with you, do NOT do eight perfect Faros in your routine. It would bore the living hell out of anybody. The idea of doing 5 or 6 in advance then doing 2 or 3 more to bring the deck back is ok. Possibly at the very beginning, then do the other false shuffles. OR after you do your false shuffles and show the deck in new order, you can do a faro and some other screwing around and show the people that you have done something "even MORE difficult" and make a red/black deck from new deck order. That surprises people as well. Also, I like to do the little waterfall flourish after the shuffle, you may want to do that as well, makes you look like a super hot card handler. LOL.

Have fun with the shuffle, I'd say you have it down pat.

magic-showcase.co.uk
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1471 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I would do 2 reverse faro's insted of 4 faro's
Tomasio!
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
21 Posts

Profile of Tomasio!
Vandy Grift

Thank you also for the reply.
What kind of method do you use for weaving to two halves together?

I watched the clip and the trick looks very nice yes. Something I want to keep in mind. I'm now reading Darwin Ortiz' Scams & fantasies. I like the book. Great tricks with the faro shuffle in it.
I also like the red/black idea.
Yes, the flourishes look even nicer. The deck I used in the video was not brand new. I just didn't want to use the waterfalls and then ruin the deck for the next shuffles if you know what I mean.

Robert Blake
I also read your post on a Dutch forum.
You comments are always very welcome.

I'm curious about the tabled faro shuffle. Not sure how to weave the packets perfectly and make it look like a regular riffle shuffle. I saw Ed Marlo do this in the dvd : the confidential.
Has anyone of you any experience in this, or sources where I can find this information?

Thanks!

Tom.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Tom,

My faro is very similar to yours. I just butt the ends of the deck together more. It's hard to explain but bascially when I begin the weave, both ends of the deck are butted together and the RH pack is only about 1/4" higher than the LH pack. I hope that makes sense. It's just how I do it. You do the shuffle very well. I don't think one way is right and one way is wrong or anything. I just hadn't seen it done quite the way you do it. You do it well.

I've also seen Marlo do the eight perfect tabled riffle shuffles. It's gorgeous. Sorry I can't name any sources because I don't own any for that particular shuffle. I can't do it,but I will try to tackle it someday. If I hear of any good sources I'll let you know.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
566 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
Go to lybrary.com and order Steven Youell's moves CD. There's an explanation of a useable tabled faro/riffle type shuffle.

Take care, Ian
Tomasio!
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
21 Posts

Profile of Tomasio!
@Vandy grift
Thank you again for the fast reply. Yes, it is more clear to my now how you execute the faro shuffle. It is nice to hear more about different variations, and I also don't think that one way is the right way. Doing tabled faros seems more natural than doing the in the hands faros. It would be great being able to do both of them. Thanks for sharing and we'll keep searching for info on the subject.

@Ian Kendall
Nice of you to post here. I visited the site and there is a lot to see. I will take a look at the cd you listed and maybe hte explanation on that cd is great for learning the tabled/riffle faro.

Thank you for sharing!

Tom.
Aguas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Aguas
That's class.
Awesome.
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
Just curious, how many of you can do 8 perfect faros in under a minute. I read an article in th economist years ago that said there are only 31 people in the world who can do this.

I made it in just under a minute, exactally 59 seconds. This was when I was 16. Anyone else try this, I would be interested in knowing the times?!
tincture
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of tincture
I can!

-Tim
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Best sources for tabled faros are Martin Nash and Steven Youell. For the math involved read Alex Elmsley. For best tricks, Juan Tamariz, Mike Close, Harry Riser, Mike Powers, Martin Nash, Ed Marlo to name a few.
lelo
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of lelo
Tom Nice work! I look forward to more of your posts. Thanks for sharing.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
The one source that changed my world when it came to Faro shuffles was Martin Nashs' "Infinity and Beyond". I think you can still get it, but he shows how you can perform many Faro effects without a perfect Faro with his Infinity principle. The Infinity principle alone will change the way you perform card magic.

Matt Monte
Aim To Amaze
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Well then I will check out infinity and beyond
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Eight shuffles is too many for any audience other than magicians. I use the faro often to shuffle cards, offset when I want to preserve a setup. I use two faros to finish a self workng poker trick that magicians yawn at and laymen stare bug-eyed. For me it is mostly a juggling type move.

Before we get the tar and feathers out I am aware that there are a lot of very skilled people that use it in a practical fashion. I have some of the books and videos of them. There are skill levels there that I will never see on my best day.

So keep shuffling, flush on top, false cut, faro, false cut, faro, deal four will kill most spectators and give you much more reputation than you would think.

Anything that increases the precision and dexterity is probably a good thing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Eight Perfect Faros (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL