We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » One case that includes your table??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I want to be able to go to do a stand up show with just one case! But I want to use that case as a table as well. I want to be able to open the case and and put a sign on the part that faces the audience. Then, just take props from the case as I need them.

If I get a brief case, will a table base such as the encore table base detach and fit inside the brief case?

The effects I perform include: linking rings, egg bag, whats next, silk to egg, half dyed hank, McCombical deck, etc. Pack Flat stand up stuff.

I would really appreciate advice in achieving this kind of set-up.
I travel by train to gigs in Tokyo, Japan and it is just too hard to carry around a big table. I have done it but I am exhausted by the time I get to the show!

Thanks
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
For that stuff I would try something like Barry Mitchell's Ta Da table. You can find something similar at large craft stores for much less. I use bigger props, so it wouldn't work for me, but for what you use it sounds right.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks!

Simon
Click here
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Simon,

I have done a show quite similar to this and you can use a catalog case and a jumping stool.

You do the show, props go right back into the case. At the end of the show you close the case, pick it up, step on the stool and let it spring about five feet into the air and catch it. Nice flashy way to end a show. It packs light and plays like a house on fire.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
whoton
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of whoton
Tommy Wonder has a great close-up table/case design in his books of Wonder. I think it is in Vol 1.
whoton
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of whoton
Sorry,my mistake, that's volume two.
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
You might look into an instand

http://www.instand.com/CR3/cr3.html

They are very strong, stable, light, and compact. The top is 11"x13". If your case is big enough the top should fit inside. The base is very compact. Much more than the usual magic table bases. I keep one in a carpet bag for some gigs.

Joe H
SteveB
View Profile
Regular user
St Louis, MO
117 Posts

Profile of SteveB
I have always found that the best thing to use is a tray jack. The type of thing
a waiter uses to hold up a tray of food. It is simple and easily obtained from a restaurant supply store. It packs flat and if you forget it you can usually borrow
one from the venue.

Just my two cents...
Regards,
Steve

www.stevebarcellona.com
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks for the ideas. Danny, the jumbing stool idea is great.

When I do the cups and balls I use a tray jack stand with table top. It may pack flat, but it is heavy and not suited for trains in Tokyo. I am trying to replace the cups and balls for that reason.

I also have the McComb table. It is good but still heavy. I am sweating and exhausted by the time I get to the venue for the gig.

Has anyone seen Jeff Hobson's dream table(encore magic)? It is expensive. It looks light and portable... not sure though.
Click here
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Michael Ammar has instructions for a flat table on his website. It's extremely light and disassembles. You could use the same concept to attach legs to your case which you could remove for travel.

Check out the design:

http://www.ammarmagic.com/store/index.ph......ts_id=15
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
adzimme
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of adzimme
Michael Ammar's table looks like a slick design. How sturdy is the tripod on uneven surfaces or even a slight slope?
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-09-01 23:40, adzimme wrote:
Michael Ammar's table looks like a slick design. How sturdy is the tripod on uneven surfaces or even a slight slope?

He said that the whole reason he designed it that way is so it would stand better on uneven and sloped surfaces.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
AndrewBarbour
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of AndrewBarbour
My preference has always been to use cymbal stands for table bases. You can usually find used ones quite reasonably priced ($50) in any major city at a musical instrumat store and not have to pay for shipping. I then have a small steel post (that matches the size of the cymbal arm) welded to a flat plate ($10-$15) at a welding shop. One time I even got it for free as I entertained the guys for 10 minutes with some cards and coins! I then mount the plate to the suitcase and I am done. Stable, cheap, and looks great - the three main criteria for a magic table.

Good luck
Andrew
danielrmk
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of danielrmk
I saw the Tommy Wonder table and fell in LOVE any one ever built this? I had an idea of maybe using an old instrument case and adjust it to make this table.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Aussiemagic,
what about a good old suitcase table? You only have to carry one thing, everything fits inside. With either size you can install a luggage handle/strap so you only have to pull it on wheels! It doesn't get much easier. The sign sticks on the outside of the case via Velcro and the case actually turns into the table! I don't know where I'd be without these! There are several people who make them, one of the more popular is the Joe Lefler Pro Suitcase Table, available at most magic dealers.
Good luck!
jpetz
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of jpetz
Aussie Magic,

No one has mentioned the 30 second table from David Charvet. Check it out at: http://charvetmagic.com/_wsn/page5.html

It all packs inside and is flight ready if need be. My first one went around the world and I'm on my second one. (First one lasted about 5 years of fairly heavy abuse).

I would highly recomend it for simplicity in setting up and durability.

Jon
Bore No More! (TM)
Corporate Speaker & Entertainer
www.JonPetz.com
www.MagicalExp.com **ADDY Award Winning Website**
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » One case that includes your table??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL