The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Blaine tooth trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
844 Posts

Profile of oombob
I hated this effect. The premise of tearing a tooth out of a girl's mouth makes me sick. Stooge-a-rama.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Well Shnarker, I agree with you in principle but in this specific case I just thought that it was too obvious and if people take just a second to thinkabout it the impact falls apart. But then again maybe people really don't even take that one second to think about it.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Teevtee,

Seriously, I don't understand how you can call a trick "obvious" when you have no idea how it works (and you don't, trust me).
JL608
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of JL608
I'm sure if Tim Moore was involved with the design of this effect, then the mechanical aspect of the apparatus is probably much more involved than most people imagine.

Germain's Spirit Tooth?
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
MS:

I'm not sure what we are talking about here. By that I mean how INVolved we are talking so let me clarify what I am saying.

First of all you are correct, I do NOT know the exact workings of this effect, the mechanics of it, the handling of it and so forth. Therefore I do not mean to suggest that THOSE aspects are obvious or simple or easy or anything like that. I am simply talking about the trick in a much broader sense... the very basic elements of it, which are (to me atleast) obvious.

Now not to be confrontational and with all die respect I am not sure how you can say with such assurance that I do not know this. We have never spoken about it and I have never shared my thoughts with you or anyone else on this board... so I think there must be several levels of assumption going on here on both sides. I am assuming from the way you are talking that you have some sort of "insider" information here... care to share why you are so certain that I am clueless?

In the end though I seriously just thinkwe are talking about different things. You may be talking about the critical details, I know nothng about that. I am sure that the actual execution of this thing is quite involved, that is not what I am refering to however.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Teevtee-

When I say that you don't know how the trick is done, that's what I'm saying, you don't know how the trick is done. I can tell by the way you talk about it as "obvious."

You talk about this trick in the same manner as a layman might talk about 3-fly when they think they know how it's done. "It's so obvious. He just throws the coin from one hand to another too fast to see." In other words, they think it's obvious because the solution they've managed to come up with in their head is so simple. Yes it's simple, but it's also incorrect.

Now, if a layman watched a 3-fly routine using the Lassen gimmick and then turned to me and said that it was so obvious how it was done, I would be comfortable in knowing that they just think they know how it's done. In a similar way, I know that you don't know how this trick is done because of the way that you're dismissing it as being so easy to figure out.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
JL608,
You are correct in that statement..very INTRICUT INDEED!
Justin Miller
Beauregard
View Profile
New user
Katrinaville
66 Posts

Profile of Beauregard
I have been performing this effect in trailer parks and biker bars for years and I submit to you that I have been robbed of my somewhat intellectual property.

Beau
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Well MS I can see that tyhis is going no where so lets just leave it at that.

I am not a layman, I have not shared ANY of my thoughts on this effect with you ouside of somewhat jokingly sayinmg how obvious it is. If you would like to believe that I am clueless it does not bother me and you are free to do so. Talking more about it will possibly cross some sort of line into a personal insut type of deal and I would prefer NOT to be insulted and certainly not to insult others.

The lastthing I will say is that I stand by my statements, much as your example to me this is an obvious effect. I am posting on a board full of MAGICIANS, not laymen and so to those people I would think that this is ALSO obvious.

Honestly though, lets move on.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Teevtee,

Trust me, you're a layman as far as this effect goes-- as is almost everyone on this board-- unless you've done a lot of "remove and restore tooth" tricks.
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
373 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
Why does everyone keep saying that chick was HOT? Come on people…she was a Swamp Donkey. I threw up in my mouth a little when they did the close-ups.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Teevtee-

I'm not trying to be insulting in any way. I've studied magic seriously for well over 15 years and I never would have known how this trick was accomplished if I hadn't been let in on it.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Well I started the "hot" talk and I agree, she is not really that hot, but it was funnier that way.
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
373 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
Teevtee

Haha, I forgive you! After a couple of healed and sealed beers...who knows?
Jizmagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Jizmagic
I can't believe I went to dental school for all those years, when all I needed to do to restore a person's smile was to blow at their mouth! Ha!
May the magic be with you!
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Quote:
On 2006-05-11 16:40, boboshempy wrote:
Why does everyone keep saying that chick was HOT? Come on people…she was a Swamp Donkey. I threw up in my mouth a little when they did the close-ups.

Lol! OMG. That's the funniest thing I've heard in weeks. Too bad I can't use it in my comic strip!
Bball5630
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Bball5630
Okay, honestly, the effect doesn't deserve this long of a thread. I mean, the special doesn't deserve this long of a thread. As far as MS saying, "You don't know how it's done!" Listen, friend, it wasn't a magician fooler. It can be duplicated to anyone that would try. Would their method be the same? No, hopefully not, but the effect could be duplicated if desired with the method being the inferior or superior. However, I don't think the trick was strong enough or "real" enough to even consider doing it. Why all this talk about no one could possibly repeat this effect. Man, there were serious flaws in it, it could not only be duplicated, but perfected. However, the end effect in my opinion, wouldn't be worth it. You gotta see the end game, brother. This one just isn't it. A cute trick for TV, but are you seriously thinking people should salivate over it and that lay people actually think she was just a random person? Give some credit.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I may be WAY off in the minority but I have asked several lay people about it and to a person each reaction was "That was lame...." and they they explained exactly how it was either done or atleast a plausible and workable method of how it COULD be done.
Bball5630
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Bball5630
Real magic is when someone says they have no idea how something could be done, not, "I guess you can't guess exactly how I did it!"
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
New Release! The Tooth Fairy Suite: Remove a loose tooth from a child and turn it into a quarter behind their ear! Easy to do! All Props, Gimmicks, Full Instructions and a 6 hour DVD featuring Don Driver as 'Toofusini' demonstrating from every angle. Magic Coloring Book in demo not provided and you will need your own Brass Knuckles.

$399. (Yes it will include the 'Shoelace In Lemon' trick.)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Blaine tooth trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL