The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Wax for Wild Card (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
I need to use some wax to hold two cards together for Wild Card (Tommy Wonder handling). The cards need to be separated and stuck back together every time the routine is performed.

I'm looking for advice on:
1. best waxes to use
2. how much
3. where to place it on the card (and I guess on which card to put it)

Thanks in advance,
James
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
You can also use a restickable glue stick to dab on spots, rather than use wax. It's made by Scotch (3M) and is sold in most office supply stores. I got my stick at Staples.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Double-sided tape. When it gets dirty (i.e. visible) it is easily replacable...unlike any glue product.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I second the tape idea. Wax has a tendency to smear on the card, and it makes the card really dirty.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
I agree, but Tommy Wonder only used wax; and he performed this gem many times per gig. Does anyone here know what is the CORRECT placement of the wax? Is it hard wax? Or a combination of soft and hard wax? How much is applied to the card, and WHERE?
These are questions that have been bugging me ever since I began performing Tamed Card. I have tried the restickable glue stick by Scotch, but it tends to stick on every card and leaves a bigger mess than the wax. Can someone please set me straight on the type, placement, and amount used, so that I can proceed performing this effect without all the constant cleaning and replacing of the cards?
Thanks,
KW
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Umm...let's be careful of what we're saying. This could be exposure.
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
That is a joke...right?
I am exposing nothing, Sir.
This is the place to discuss these type of matters to IMPROVE the performances of such routines and effects. I am not new to the magic world. I have been performing for well over thirty years and make my living performing full-time, so please keep in mind that we all do not have any intentions of exposure.
KW
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Well, I have not bought the secret to Tamed Cards and have only seen the demo. And knowing that tape and wax is used is certainly more than I knew. Like using the word "palm" for the cup and ball trick.
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Or "DL" for card magic?
LOL!
No harm intended, my friend.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
As to the amount and placement, I couldn't say as I don't have the routine. I'm surprised the book/DVD/notes (wherever you got it) didn't specify.
I would tend to use a softer magician's wax for cards. It sticks and spreads easier, whereas a harder wax would leave a "lump" and need a larger squeezing action. I find harder wax best used with threads. Double-stick tape might be a substitution, but be careful of the "click" when separating. Is it possible that roughing spray could be used?
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Beeswax, pinhead, pip
What would Wavy do?
DonEngland
View Profile
1947 - 2015
Champaign, IL
258 Posts

Profile of DonEngland
White wax, and carry in breast pocket to keep warm.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Wax will keep me warm? Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Mark & Don,
Thanks for the imput.
KW
oldi
View Profile
New user
switzerland
92 Posts

Profile of oldi
Why does nobody have the problem I have with tape or removable glue? I can not do the ha***n count smoothly anymore!
Bietfriek
View Profile
Special user
Bye, bye after
502 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
The placement of the wax is described in Books of Wonder 1
Bietfriek
View Profile
Special user
Bye, bye after
502 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
The placement of the wax is described in Books of Wonder 1
Friedrich
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Friedrich
I actually use Mike Ammars Card To Ceiling wax and it is o.k. as long as You use it very very sparingly...
oldi
View Profile
New user
switzerland
92 Posts

Profile of oldi
I place the wax as described.Very sparingly....but enough to keep them together when tossing the double on the table or in specs hand. But if you Ha***n count 3 cards from one hand to the other you have to split the waxed double. that's ok because I keep a break after turning the first card face up. But after the change the two cards are together and I wonder how the second part of the ha***n count can be done smoothly?
Using wax its more or less duable, but with non permanent gluestick I can`t do it.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I've used Amnar's wax as well and it works fine.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Wax for Wild Card (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL