The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Old Radio Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm totally into doing effects over the Radio....or telephone/internet. Does anyone remember any great effects from the past? I have some Dunninger material, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for.
Thanks
Dave

Posted: May 20, 2006 3:26pm
Bump in the Night!
No one used to listen to the radio?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Not all of us are as... uh, venerable as you, Dave! Smile

By the time I was old enough to know what was going on, television was king and the only thing I remember on the radio besides DJs are a couple of soap operas my mom used to listed to back in the late 50s. But they went off the air soon after.

That being said, I am a BIG fan of old radio, and have many shows on tape: Jack Benny, Charlie McCarthy, the Battling Bickersons, the Shadow, et. al. But no mentalism. In fact, until I joined the Café, I had no idea mentalism was ever even done over the radio.

Good luck in your quest.

I just noticed this at the Learned Pig site:
Quote:

TLPP MAGIC CD No.3
My new Magic CD contains 19 fantastic magic books, some of them very hard-to-get and/or expensive. They have been beautifully set in PDF with all text and illustrations of the originals. There's an incredible bonus: the complete 868 pages of Annemann's famed The Jinx magazine full of great magic and mentalism. However, the real novelty in this Magic CD is sound files: almost 40 radios shows featuring magician Blackstone as The Magic Detective solving mystery cases with his magical knowledge and.... (please hold on to something) 9 fantastic radio shows featuring the great mentalist Dunninger. These are unbelievable and a real lesson in showmanship. Don't miss this great CD. I'm offering this at a reduced price until August 10: just $35.00 + $3.50 shipping and handling.

I know you said you didn't need Dunninger, Dave, but I thought that others might be interested.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
If you just want the Blackstone Old Radio Shows they are sold on eBay nearly all the time for $5/CD of 50+ shows.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Uhhh hey guys whats a radio?? In 50 years magicians will be taking about the good old days of ipod tricks. I have heard of magicians doing magic on the radio, I nevr reakky thought to much about it because if Edger Bergan could perform with Charlie McCarthy on radio anything was possible. I have seen the reproductions on cd of the old Blackstone shows and have often thought about getting them. I too am an old radio buffer..Did that come out ok?? Anyway you know what I mean. Slim just out of curiosity what kinds of effects would you or do you do over the radio?

Steven
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I do Card, Coin, Mind Reading and Remote Viewing, just to start. Numerology and Palm Reading. Tarot and lots of other stuff!
Plenty of FUN!
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24298 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There was a book by Eddie Joseph called Telephone Trickery and one by John Wade, MIMC called Radio Magic or Hold That Card Up to the Mike So Everyone Can See It."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks Bill!
I don't have either book. I'll begin looking. I may have read the Eddie Joseph thing somewhere.
I'll never quit looking!
Dave

Posted: Oct 14, 2006 10:22am
I just bought the John Wade book on ebay. They said that he's past away? Is that true? I am still looking for the Eddie Joseph book Telephone Trickery.
Corrinda also had a book that I just missed on ebay. If anyone has a copy please let me know:)
Are there any others that I don't know about?
I also have the Blackstone CD.
Thanks
Dave
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
You didn't specify what Dunninger material you have that didn't meet your needs. Do you know the book Dunninger's Brain Busters, by Joseph Atmore?

Description here: http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com/cata......ers.html

Steinmeyer's Impuzzibilities and Fulves' Self-Working Mental Magic would be sources for material which can be presented over a distance, even if not framed that particular way in the books.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've found some great old books. Thanks for the help. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Old Radio Effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL