The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request - Strange Travelers (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Maybe he lurks here...we never know. And really, I don't care!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
Daffy, I think that he should be she, at least based on my highly evolved detective skills and the fact her name is "girlnamedlizzie"
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
I just recieved Strange Travelers in the mail 2 days ago and I have been practicing it non stop. I just performed it for my neighbor who is a pretty tough cookie to crack and this one got him badly. I absolutely LOVE this effect. Everything about it is so clean and straightforward. At no point in the routine are you hiding anything. Its basically a "test conditions" type effect.

That being said, I will offer a few more words. The instructions seemed like they were written for someone who has never performed card magic before. I am convinced of this because they explain what a pinkey break is and how to properly excecute one. So that means they could have shortened the instruction booklet by about 5 pages. None the less, every detail is explained.

Two versions are explained, plus a way of gimmicking your card case to help out in the routine.

Overall, this is DEFINATELY the best purchase I have made in a long time. The last card trick that I bought that was this good was probably Double Back. I would rate this a 9.75. Only one slight drawback is the examinablilty, due to the gimmick being present.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
The demo video on ellusionist amounts to exposure. Don't these people understand the first thing about the art form they are dealing in?
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Agreed, it's really, really obvious how the trick works after watching that.

Quote:
On 2006-06-28 14:15, Martin Pulman wrote:
The demo video on ellusionist amounts to exposure. Don't these people understand the first thing about the art form they are dealing in?
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
But that video has been removed from the site a couple of weeks ago.
Zezenki
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Zezenki
Hey guys,

I got a big question. What happens when the gaffs begin to wear? Is there a place where I can buy just the gaffs or would I probably have to buy another Strange Travelers? For those of you who are wondering, yes, I have performed this a LOT in the last month.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
You can buy a supply enough to make a couple of sets for around $10.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
This is getting some nice reviews. I am wondering after reading most of the posts here and reviews what the out is in case a spectator thinks of a different card?

Thanks

Candini
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
There is a video demo of Crossing Over on The Trickery.com.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Quote:
On 2006-06-30 23:18, Zezenki wrote:
Hey guys,

I got a big question. What happens when the gaffs begin to wear? Is there a place where I can buy just the gaffs or would I probably have to buy another Strange Travelers? For those of you who are wondering, yes, I have performed this a LOT in the last month.

I also would like to know. And, does anybody know how Nate Leipzig used to do it? Or the original Hardin method? Without the gimmicks that Paul Harris added, which I agree made the routine almost flawless.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2006-08-01 11:01, rmoraleta wrote:
And, does anybody know how Nate Leipzig used to do it? Or the original Hardin method? Without the gimmicks that Paul Harris added, which I agree made the routine almost flawless.

Both Leipzig's and Hardin's handlings are detailed in "The Art of Magic", though it's worth noting that they didn't do it as a "Cards Across".

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Thanks Jim!

Is this the T. Nelson Down's book?
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2006-08-01 13:18, rmoraleta wrote:
Is this the T. Nelson Down's book?

Yes.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
I liked this effect. I also like the Red Sea Passover but this is simpler to perform. In short, Red Sea Passover has more of a punch, but I will probably perform this effect more often due to the simplicity. For those that had a problem with the gimmick, I don't get it. Lay people will never see the gimmick.

I like the stand up with cards version best, something about taking cards out of a plastic wallet that I have never liked. Most effects that use this method (I assume that you knew the method the minute you read the description of the effect) suffer from the same shortcomings but if you count the nine cards into the spectator’s hands they will never suspect one of shortcomings. As opposed to methods in which you only spread the cards.

One tip that might work is to have one spectator (spectator one sp1) hold the packet that the selected card flies into and the other (spectator two-sp2) select the card. Spectator one also counts the cards as you spread them and sp2 “looks at the ten cards and quickly picks one.” Why would you do this? Well if the same spectator counts and selects the cards they might say, “Wow, not only did the card I select fly across, so did the one I almost selected.” If you don’t think this will happen you are fooling yourself. I have used this method and people really like it.

I would avoid the suggested method for “guessing” which card would be selected by the spectator. Even though Blaine gets it right 80% of the time. (If you practice, so will you) Why? Well, if you are wrong not only are you wrong - but how do you explain how the card you “guessed” at flew across as well? Face it, you don’t have a street magic TV special and you can’t edit out the bad takes!

Some good ideas for ending clean are included. The starting clean ideas are good, but I would rather do a simple deck switch

I give it a 7 out of 10 and would buy it again. The directions are well written and the product is well worth $20. Buy it write a good patter and make it your own. For a small investment you will have a big miracle…
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It's been a year now, for those using this, what are your thoughts?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Great Stevini
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of The Great Stevini
A year and a half now. I'll say that I really enjoying performing Daryl's Double Crossed, which I gather is a similar effect albeit with two cards traveling. Crossed Thought was mentioned at the beginning of this thread and is the Daryl effect with one card.

Still curious about how Daryl's effects differ and whether it would be worth purchasing Strange Travelers. There was much discussion about other related effects, but not much about Daryl's.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Anyone have this and Astral Projection to compare the two? Is the method similiar?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
As far as performance, it seems Astral Projection is better for having 3-4 spectators each think of a card.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I love this effect! You can read about my thoughts...

HERE- Magic Friday/Strange Travelers

~jdg
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request - Strange Travelers (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL