The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A tip for Invisible Deck users (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Wesley
View Profile
New user
Sheffield U.K
56 Posts

Profile of Wesley
I'm a big fan of the invisible deck and don't leave home without it. I have mine set up with the Ace of space at the top of the odd side and the 10 of hearts at the top of the even side. When doing the trick if some one names queen of hearts, I think it doesn't look right to reveal it the wrong way round, second card from the top.

So what I do is, I would take the deck from the box and saying, 'I'm going to show you how I control the cards' I then point my finger to the middle of the deck and say,
'look, I locate the queen of hearts here' I then move my finger up to the top of the deck and say 'watch as I move it to the top behind the ace' Then I twist my finger explaining that by doing this I flip the card over. Then I fan out the deck showing the over turned card behind the ace at the top.

I have often wondered if anyone else uses this technique when in the same situation?
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Just fan from the opposite direction and find it at the end.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Wesley
View Profile
New user
Sheffield U.K
56 Posts

Profile of Wesley
How would that work??
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Both good tips. Wesley, I just tried KingStarDog's suggestion -- it's pretty simple to do, and looks natural. (In fact, I often fan a regular deck that way.) You're basically applying the same technique, but the pressure comes from the fingers underneath rather than above.
Wesley
View Profile
New user
Sheffield U.K
56 Posts

Profile of Wesley
I know what you mean now. I don't know about you but I just don't like revealing the overturned card at the top or the bottom.
Pinky
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
49 Posts

Profile of Pinky
I always hated trying to remember certain face cards (which face-cards on which side--people that have this know which cards I'm talking about), so I use a line "Name any card. Try not to make it obvious like an ace or face card. Everyone picks those."

When saying this, I've eliminated some of the work involved and I've never had them think that this had anything to do with the method.

Nowadays, I use the Invisible Deck as an out when I'm test stuff like psychological forces. If I'm bang on, the reaction couldn't be beat. When I'm not, I'm still able to get an excellent reaction with the deck.
Dave Cross

"The problem with being better than everyone else is that people tend to think you're pretentious."
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Curious...I was wondering if your good folks knew what other effects can be done with the invisible deck other than just name a card?

Is there a book like the 100 tricks books that are out there for other gaffed decks?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

:bluebikes:
Wesley
View Profile
New user
Sheffield U.K
56 Posts

Profile of Wesley
YES you can get a book on the invisible deck. But the best effect with the deck is the turned over card.
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
INVISIBLE SECRETS REVEALED by EDDIE FIELDS

It has a bunch of tricks to do with the ID. It's available from most any magic dealer for about $4 US
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
magicdad
View Profile
New user
Indiana
25 Posts

Profile of magicdad
HI;
How about doing a pass if the card named is close to the top?

Magicdad Smile
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Thank You Wesley and Ray
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Since most people select AS or QH it seems that something interesting could be done to allow for a more startling effect when one of those are named. Have the ace pinned inside your lapel.

Hold up a card. Tell them to pick one. If you're wrong... throw the card in the air for a little comedy and then pull out the deck.

Beats me...
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Does anyone else do Mike Close' Invisible Deck routine? It uses a regular deck. The only sleights are a half pass and a cull. Mike uses it with a memorized deck (Aronson Stack)which makes it particularly effective. The premise allows you to introduce a new deck into your routine in a logical way, and when you finish its very easy to get the memorized deck back in order. (Only the named card is moved during the routine.) Then you can continue your set with any other memorized deck effects.
The routine is explained in Mike's "Workers 5," and is also on one of his L & L Videos. It's the first trick on Volume 1.
Dennis Loomis
http://www.mindspring.com/~deloomis/dai.html
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I'm familiar with the routine but don't use it, even though I perform a lot of effects using a memorized deck. I perform the gimmicked version of Invisible Pack because it's so clean and you don't have to worry about angles, which you do to some extent the pass (at least I do). I think Mike Close's routine is good as a magician fooler.
Ruben Padilla
View Profile
Loyal user
Narrative Strategist
206 Posts

Profile of Ruben Padilla
Check out Simon Arronson's Invisible Card in his new book Try The Impossible. It's pretty brilliant, uses a memorized deck, but allows you to continue performing with the deck when finished.
Mickey Cohen
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Mickey Cohen
I have a tip for invisible deck users .Don't do it. It is quickly becoming another scotch and soda, another card on a string There was a time when it was a deep dark secret.Now magic shops in Vegas are selling them to the general tourist population . The secret is out.
pyro
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of pyro
I give the deck a cut if I think the card is near the top
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
Quite frankly, I don't think it matters where the card is in the deck. They are so startled that it is turned the wrong way.

As far as the public knowing the invisible deck, I find that perhaps one time in two hundred performances, someone actually knows the trick. It is worth getting caught once every two hundred time. By the way, I never do the invisible deck without doing other card tricks first. I then do a deck switch & even those that know, think that it is a straight deck. If I see a look on someones face at the end of the trick & I think I will be challenged, I simply do a deck switch again & look forward to the challenge. The look on their face when they inspect the deck & find it not gimmicked is worth a million.
IanBrodie
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of IanBrodie
(Back to the original question) A thought to minimise the number of times you end up with the reversed card very close to the top/bottom rather than in the middle.

Try putting the most commonly picked cards near the middle of the deck. The AS/QH combo is a good example - both cards people frequently pick, so get it bang in the middle of the deck.

This obviously doesn't remove the problem entirely, but it does minimise it, and you could use the other solutions (cut/pass) when it doesn't work.

Rgds,

Ian

PS Heard this tip from mentalist Andrew Normansell
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Wesley,

with all due the respect I think you are destroying the ilusion of the invisible deck the minute you say something about controling the cards.

The invisible deck is not about controling, is about impossibility, premonition, magic...

Controling the cards, is skill, something completely different.

Just my 2 cents. As far as the secret being out, one thing!!!! Change your presentation, you will amaze them again. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A tip for Invisible Deck users (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL