The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Nails... :-( (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
reminis16
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of reminis16
Ok, I have a problem. I cant stop biting my nails. I don't even have nails basically. I try to catch myself doing it but its like I am addicted to it. Please help, I want to look presentable when people see me.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I have heard of some "stuff" (technical word) that you paint on your nails that makes them taste horrible. You might want to google it.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
You might also consider wearing ten thumb tips...

seriously, a friend of mine cured himself of this habit by always carrying a nail trimmer which helps reduce the urge to "straighten" your nails out...good luck with this.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
There is stuff you can paint on your nails. I used it when I was trying to stop biting my nails. The only thing is, the stuff I used had to be applied every day. It didn't leave any indication that there was anything on the nail. However, when I'd bite my nails, I'd get this really awful taste in my mouth. I think it was a Sally Hansen product.

Another thing that helped, and it may sound very silly, but when I'd find my hands unoccupied, I'd sit on them. I still catch myself doing this.

I do still occasionally bite my nails, but it's nothing like it once was!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Tell yourself you have a TV spot coming up and the requested close-up work will have the camera right on your hands!

Get the urge to bite the nails and remember the upcoming TV spot with everyone starring at your hands. Feel free to take a file and shape them.

Now if the thought of being on TV makes you so nervous you bite your nails, then you're screwed.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Therapy, pal. I'd worry that if I dropped one compulsive behavior I'd simply pick up a different one.

It helped me, anyway.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I was going to suggest what Ross said but didn't want to scare you. He's right though. Ever hear of people giving up smoking and end up gaining weight? Well, giving up nicotine doesn't cause weight gain but replacing of the nicotine compulsion with overeating etc. does happen.

It's been years since I had this habit but as a teen, I heard my aunt (she was very big on clean and manicured nails) say, "a young man who bites his nails is running from the law!".

That really bothered me a lot! It also stopped it dead in its tracks as I sure didn't want anyone to think of me in such a way.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Carry nail clippers. Shift your biting habit to a clipping habit. It worked for me. At least you don't have rough looking nails. "Tweezerman" is by far the best brand. No ragged edges, nothing to nibble on.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
reminis16
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of reminis16
I bite my nails everyday, I really want to stop but sometimes before I go bed I'm thinking of something and I just start biting nails... it's really bad. My nails look horrible. I'm just going to go into a mindset that I have a closeup job tommorrow and people will be looking at my nails. I am also going to buy a clipper also try find a formula for fingernails that tastes bad.

BTW about 3 months ago there was a convention and some lady had some "stop biting nails" formula. She applied some and it sure didn't stop me from biting nails. Yes it tasted AWFULLY bitter but I didn't care and kept biting it trying to not taste it. :-(
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I'd go with cheap band aids on the fingertips covering the nails. A visual reminder as well as a barrier. If you can stop for a few weeks you should be de-programmed.

In addition I would do a "want to" check, that is how bad do you want to stop, and if you come up short realize you are not going to stop no matter what you do, short of induced comma.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Reminis, please forgive me, but I have no indication whether you are male or female. If you happen to be female, one thing you could do is get some artificial nails from your local drugstore or discount store. I know when I have on artificial nails, I have not even the slightest desire to want to nibble at my nails! If you happen to be male, you could go to a nail salon (men get manicures, too!) and ask them for recommendations.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Another idea:

First, work on just biting the nails on one hand.
Then cover just that one hand with a sparkly glove.
Then get plastic surgery on your face.
Then get it again.
And again.
And again.
And again.

Worked for Michael Jackson.

PS - Why did Michael Jackson stop going to Neverland Ranch?

Well, once it turned 15, he just wasn't attracted to it any more.

(Sorry).
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
reminis16
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of reminis16
Im a male. I doubt I can get a Manidure. You don't udnerstand how short my nails Are.. THEY ARE VERY short.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I had this problem for the longest time, and I FINALLY was able to stop biting my nails. (Mind you, there's almost nothing you can do short of electroshock therapy, to make the urge to bite go away).

The first step to stop biting your nails is to STOP. It takes lots of focus and willpower. You have to be very aware of where you hands are at all times, and you have to constantly remind yourself not to bite your nails. Chewing gum helps a little (but not always). Also, if you have something in your hands like a therapy ball (or a deck of cards maybe) that will definatley help. Try to always keep you hands busy doing something.

I also highly suggest that you invest in a nail buffer, file, and clippers. There are these great buffers out there that you just rub over your nails for a few seconds, and they become really smooth. It's a big incentive to not bite your nails when they feel and look nice. When they grow out a little, you can keep them in good shape.

It's one of the hardest things I have forced myself to do. It's a terribly difficult habit to break. The first time I tried, I made it 3 weeks before I bit my nails to shreds again. A few weeks later I stopped, and as of right now, they still look pretty good.

It is a mental game though. You must think all the time "DON"T DO IT!!! DON'T DO IT!!!"
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I just got it. The problem is not the nail biting but this and I quote you:

"Posted: May 12, 2006 4:25pm
I really want to stop but sometimes before I go bed I'm thinking of something and I just start biting nails... it's really bad."

Solve what bothers you at that time of the day and you are closer to a solution.

By the way, you can't get creative in the problem solving process if it involves nail biting so do without it. Think d**nit! Think!
thegreatsantani
View Profile
New user
L.A.
57 Posts

Profile of thegreatsantani
Three things worked for me, 1)Your hand are FILTHY (not just yours but everyones...keeep them out of your mouth. Two get a manicure...they have seen it all and spending $$$ on your nails makes you want to keep them nice and not bite them. And last was my wife saying to me "if I was to try and hire you and seen you nasty looking hands...I WOULDN'T.

Good luck, it is IMHO the hardest habit to break as your hands are right there all the time.

TGS
reminis16
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of reminis16
How much does a Regular manicure normally cost? Also, Im a Teenager 17 and if peop,e from school see me at that place they might start rumors Im gay.. Do a lot of Males(not in entertainment) Get manicures? Ive never seen a Male get it. Im not afraid just don't want to walk into a place and ask and they look at me like I'm gay.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 00:58, reminis16 wrote:
How much does a Regular manicure normally cost? Also, Im a Teenager 17 and if peop,e from school see me at that place they might start rumors Im gay.. Do a lot of Males(not in entertainment) Get manicures? Ive never seen a Male get it. Im not afraid just don't want to walk into a place and ask and they look at me like I'm gay.

If anyone questions your sexuality, just tell them that chicks really dig guys with clean nails.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
How much does a Regular manicure normally cost?

Well gay or not, you have to have nails in order to get a manicure. What are they going to manicure in your case? So there's the first motivator. Let the nails grow for a change.
thegreatsantani
View Profile
New user
L.A.
57 Posts

Profile of thegreatsantani
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 01:54, RandyStewart wrote:
Quote:
How much does a Regular manicure normally cost?

Well gay or not, you have to have nails in order to get a manicure. What are they going to manicure in your case? So there's the first motivator. Let the nails grow
for a change.

Even with nail that are almost gone they can cut the cuticles, which help nail groth and also they put solar oil which also helps... a manicure runs about 10-12 dollars plus a couple of bucks for a tip.

Also the laadies do like clean well maintained hands and you will see a increase in compliments once you get your nails looking right. I know I have.

TGS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Nails... :-( (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL