The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Turning off streetlights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Whenever I walk down a street at night, the chances are that a streetlight will wink out as I approach. This happens almost every time I go for a walk at night. Anyone else have this experience? Is this unusual?
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
563 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
This is an example of confirmation bias.

Also, people tend to remember the "hits" and forget the "misses". The "hits" in this case are more memorable due to the dramatic change of the area around you going from light to no light. Walking past a light when nothing happens would not cause many people to take notice or remember the non-event. Keep a log of every street light you pass over a period of time. That way you will be conscious of all the ones that don't turn off when you pass them.
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Certain types of streetlights (I think that they are the yellowish sodium lights) tend to blink off for a few seconds every few minutes. Usually, these lights are positioned slightly closer together (i.e., more lights are used) so that there will always be light on the desired area.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
When I was a kid I was told that your guardian angel sometimes accidentally knock the streetlights out as they fly over you keeping you safe.
riding around in my first car one night, my teenage friend told me that it was an ominous sign that heaven was no longer watching you or protecting you from harm. then (right on cue) a streetlight over me switched off.
can the solar switch be catching a headlight to make them switch off?
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Bill's explanation is one I've heard before, and it seems most likely. So much for my magic powers!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Heheh - I use that for an example of cognitive theory connections to magical thinking - I sometimes then pull out a gimmicked lighbulb and have it light up over certain people's heads as I talk about the very phenomenon you speak of!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Before I retired, I worked at a very high security national lab. The sodium lights that flooded the area would blink off randomly for a few seconds from time to time. However, there were so many of them that there was never a moment of real darkness.

With the fences and armed guards, it was really a safe place to work, even late at night.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
We used to create this effect with BB guns. But pre-rigging would keep the police away a lot better.....
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Turning off streetlights (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL