The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Anyone else tired of Blaine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Magicman8
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
113 Posts

Profile of Magicman8
I do not wish to offend anyone, but personally, I do not care for his stunts that detract from the effect and acts of every other street magician, because the first thing people think of when I am finished is "Are you gonna be like David Blaine?" and I don't like that the next thing they want to know is if I am going to do some stunts like that.
Anyone else with me, or am I abnormal?

Matthias
We go through life backwards. The past is visible and the future is cloudy, it seems we are walking backwards.-- Terry Pratchet
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I feel that David Blaine and Criss Angel, though they may not be your favorites, both deserve credit for the current wave of popularity of "street magic," and magic in general. This does not mean to imply that David or Criss are magic innovators that invented each and every trick they perform, we all know that isn't the case. They are both part of a larger corporate image they have established for themselves.

Remember that part of being a magician is not badmouthing other magicians to ordinary folks, and I think that this is very important to remember. If someone says something to you about Blaine, and you react negatively then you make yourself, and magic in general, look bad. Save your criticism for private, there is no need to bash someone else who is successful. If someone asks you to do a blaine-like trick then simply laugh it off, or say "that was an amazing trick he did, wasn't it?! Do you want to see another one?" or something to that effect. Use the opportunity to find out what they like about magic, and try to apply that to your own performances (not the specific tricks, but the ELEMENTS of what they liked about his performance or tricks).
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of The One
You're abnormal.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
Simple solution, don't watch them if you don't like them, thier must be a reason they are on television.

Jeff
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4766 Posts

Profile of landmark
Great post Marvello.
jsheas
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of jsheas
Simple Answer: No
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1399 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Marvello,

I agree.

All you have to do is turn the channel.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Marvello, couldn't agree more. If I'm getting tired of anything, it's the constant whining and complaining of other magicians about David Blaine.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I would say I find the constant droning from other magicians about Blaine, Angel and whatever the flavor of the month happens to be to be tiring.

You're not abnormal. You can dislike the magic, the man, the presentation etc. just like any other person here can. You may direct it to anyone you chose.

When I hear someone say: "All you have to do is change the channel" I wonder what kind of simplistic world do they live in. What professed magician has not heard ad-nauseum about the latest T.V. magician from friends and coworkers (No it doesn't say anything about the person that they are on T.V., It is obvious that being on the "tube" only takes money. All here would agree with me were they not insistent on proving their own faulty point). Fight the good fight.

I make it a point to never discuss my thoughts on any other magician to a non-magician. But to the rest of you guy's I just plain don't like most magicians. This probably includes you. Like my momma always used to say: "No one ever said life was fair".
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
mustlovemagic
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of mustlovemagic
Quote:
On 2006-05-13 02:20, Josh Riel wrote:

But to the rest of you guy's I just plain don't like most magicians. This probably includes you. Like my momma always used to say: "No one ever said life was fair".

We love you too, man! I'm sure you're a spectacular performer Smile
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
"I make it a point to never discuss my thoughts on any other magician to a non-magician. But to the rest of you guy's I just plain don't like most magicians."
Well, Josh, I hope that you do speak in praise of well-performed routines by others. To do so enhances the public's perception of magicians. We are part of a select group of performers, and owe allegience to the principle, I reckon, of giving praise to/about other magicians when it is due. [if praise is not due, then like you say, don't comment.]
The presentation makes the magic.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I don't like my magic either, must be from repressed memories of a bitter childhood........

I always point to the magician who does well.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20038 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am sick of both of them. Concequently I simply don't watch. Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

I was also sick of despirate housewives. Same solution. Why are so many magicians baffled by this solution?
PLUS as I always say

Number of specials David Blaine has arround 5. Number of them for me? Well still at ZERO currently. If that does not get respect then yes you are abnormal. (and this from someone who is sick of him.)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
Now that's a good post Dannydoyle, I would love to see the number of shows from all that people sick of Blaine.

Jeff
Aguas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Aguas
Why should I be tired ? blaine got a whole new generation of people interested into magic and boosted magic in general back in media..
Ok.. maybe he's not the ultimate-sleight-expert around, maybe his patters just seem ridiculously empty to other magicians, etc.. but that's just way it is, in almost evey other area... Since when are those who sell more records the ones putting out the best music ? since when are the movies generating more income the best movies ? and so on and so on...
And of course, there's always the good old "anti" thinking, as soon as someone becomes well known and famous "let's bash him! he sold himself!"

Of course that might just me since I don't have to listen the same things that magicians in America have to. Almost no one in Portugal knows who Blaine is and they only know DC and Luis De Matos they won't compare me to them since I don't do the same kind of effects as they do.
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
Well it seems he is doing something right, as at the moment out of the first 26 posts here, 14 are about him! Some people clearly aren't tired of him!
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Blaine's 1st TV special rekindled my interest in magic after a 25 year hiatus in magic. When I saw him do the quarter bite, it brought back memories of when I did that back in the '70s (I used to use a half dollar). The following day at work my co-workers where discussing the show and when the topic of the quarter bite came up I replied how I used to do that. Well, after a good laugh and disbelief I went to my local brick & mortar magic shop and bought a F***ing Q****er (& other stuff) and blew their minds out the following day. Now I'm back. Blaine was the shot of fresh air that breathed back my interest in magic. I owe him that much. Kudos to you David Blaine!
:bikes: Smile Smile
Smile A resurrected magi & KRaZy4kardz Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-05-13 20:44, Josh Riel wrote:
I don't like my magic either...

If you serioulsy don't like your magic then how do you expect audiences to become interested?
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
As the old saying goes, the tide raises and lowers every ship in the harbor.

For the guys critising the OP, um, he is keeping it private. He's here, talking to his peers. Don't make it sound like the guy's shouting it from the hearest lamp post. The guy doesn't like one of your idols. So what.

What bothers me the most in all of this, is the absolute lack of restraint in using stooges. I wish for the 'old days' where what you saw on the TV could be easily repeated for a live audience. Let's face it, anyone can look good to a canned audience, especially if they're still waiting on their paycheck.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 08:54, Marvello wrote:

If you serioulsy don't like your magic then how do you expect audiences to become interested?

Magic?

Why do I have to put out a T.V. special to have an opinion of one? That is one of the more ridiculous statements I have read recently. Even counting my own. Too bad it is oft repeated by the less reasoned.........

However, since the street magic forum is inundated with "blah blah blah Cyril, Angel, Blaine" I suppose the fault is mine for paying any attention. I have accepted my own rebuke.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Anyone else tired of Blaine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL