The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The Magician And Hypnotist Incarnate (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
That is my goal in magic and hypnotism.

That is that when performing a magic effect the audience will see magic and experience the magic effect.

I would also say that the well known magician David Blaine has done this with his approach to magic. That is that wonders are EXPECTED.

To me being is magician is not being an actor pretending to be a magician. It is being "The Magician Incarnate" and "The Wonders of Magic and the EFFECT OF MAGIC IS Expected".

And that to me is sellable as a service to make money.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Glenn, I completely agree with your premise, but not your example of who is actually doing it. Mr. Blaine started off well and has now devolved his public image into something of a joke. John Q. and Mary Q. Public are, more and more, looking at him as a joke, not as an awe-inspiring performer of magic, but as an oddball who does strange stuff and who USED to be a magician.

And, who many have said to me, wish would go BACK to BEING a magician, instead of this strange wannabe stuntman/Guinness Record Holder whatever-the-heck-he's-trying-to-be now.

But I completely agree with the rest of your premise - make it as real as possible - physically, mentally and emotionally as well as on a sensory level.

Kind regards,

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Quote:
On 2006-05-13 23:16, Lee Darrow wrote:

But I completely agree with the rest of your premise - make it as real as possible -physically, mentally and emotionally as well as on a sensory level.

While I disagree with some of your statments regarding Blaine, I too am striving to create a character that is a hybrid magician/mentalist.

I believe your character forms the basis for the phenomena you will exibit, the articles or "props" you will use etc.

Henning Nelms said, "Conjurers usually claim powers themselves. They may eke this out with a flick of a wand or a few "magic words," but I never saw one who made a serious attempt to act like a real magician."

Blaine approaches "the real" and pulls it off well- at least that is what non-magicians have been telling me ever since 1997.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2006-05-13 23:16, Lee Darrow wrote:
Glenn, I completely agree with your premise, but not your example of who is actually doing it. Mr. Blaine started off well and has now devolved his public image into something of a joke. John Q. and Mary Q. Public are, more and more, looking at him as a joke, not as an awe-inspiring performer of magic, but as an oddball who does strange stuff and who USED to be a magician.

Thank you for pointing this out Lee. When I was writing this I was thinking of "Early Blaine" and his "first special". In this magic special I found the audience reaction the most entertaining part of the show.

Who we are and how the audience see's us can be for some two different things. I often wonder when a magician performs if the audience SEE'S a magician. or just a friendly guy doing magic. Or worse a friendly guy playing with a new toy.

In the old days magicians used posters like Kellar and Blackstone. The posters sold the magician and the audience was to expect magic wonders. Today we rarely use that kind of advertising and magicians are often put in the situation of performing magic as an interruption rather than as a destination to an evenings entertainment.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2903 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 10:04, bishthemagish wrote:
Who we are and how the audience see's us can be for some two different things. I often wonder when a magician performs if the audience SEE'S a magician. or just a friendly guy doing magic. Or worse a friendly guy playing with a new toy.

...or even worse, a guy who seems to seriously think he's a magician but doesn't have a clue what he's doing. Smile

Glenn, how the audience perceives a performer depends totally on the situation and how the performer presents himself.

If I were to go back to performing, I'd want to present myself as a top-notch entertainer who just happens to do this stuff that makes the little kid inside every member of the audience think he or she is visiting Disneyland for the first time. A lot of people--adults as well as kids--in our "modern" society have forgotten that a little kid is still inside them (things like mortgage payments and reloading the operating system get in the way), but I'd go for the jugular, cut it open, get at that little kid, and remind him or her of seeing that first firefly or spiderweb or baby chick being born.

I'd want to go right for the audience's imagination and create a sense of "wonder" in them, and I couldn't care less what agents and bookers called me, as long as they called me. I wouldn't tie myself down to a literal (fundamentalist? Smile ) definition of "magic" or "magician:" I'd just go for the entertainment value.

After writing and proofreading my columns on magic as theater and magic as art, I had a revelation: this thing we call "magic" can be presented as theater, or as art, or as both, or as neither one... and they're all valid as long as the presentation is entertaining to the audience. So, some of my stuff on stage would be "art," some would be "theater," some would be both, and some would be neither.

If I'm competing for the public's buck against other forms of entertainment, I need to compete at the level of these other forms. And that level is top-notch entertainment.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 11:09, George Ledo wrote:
Glenn, how the audience perceives a performer depends totally on the situation and how the performer presents himself.

Sorry George but this is only a small part of it. Image of the magician so to speak is one thing but it is also how the PUBLIC see's and accepts the IMAGE of the magician. And also what the public THINKS a magician is. And what the public Believes MAGIC IS.

What Lee said above about David Blaine and how the public USED to see him as a magician and now see's him as a side show geek has a direct effect on how they will look at ANY MAGICIAN. Harry Potter movies and books have effected how the public looks at magicians and magic.

In selling there is the saying sell the sizzle not the steak. Or if you want to sell the steak don't tell them how you killed the cow. My point here is that magicians are into the steak to much and forget about the sizzle. In my opinion the public only see's the sizzle and could not care a less about the steak. So to speak.

I think that the hypnotist and magician incarnate is the sizzle the public is interested in and will buy. Because I have been selling it that way and making a living doing it for quite a number of years.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2903 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Well, Glenn, going strictly by your last post, I think we're pretty much saying the same thing, just looking at it from two different viewpoints.

How the public perceives David Blaine nowadays has far more to do with how he presents himself nowadays as opposed to how he presented himself in the past, than in how they perceive "magicians" as a whole. He started by presenting himself as one thing and then he changed. The public is responding to David himself, not to whether he's doing magic or not.

The American public is used to looking at top entertainers as people: people who are technically very proficient in their craft, and very talented, but who are also human beings. When we're in line at the supermarket and read the tabloid covers and see what Tom, or Jennifer, or Brad, or whoever, is up to this week, we see them, not actors in general. These people have been built up as "celebrities" who just happen to make a living on the silver screen.

From hanging around the Café for the last couple of years, I absolutely agree with you that "magicians are into the steak to much and forget about the sizzle." But, from my personal experience in the real world, I also believe that a lot of Café members tend to make too much of how they think the general public sees magic.

In the end, as far as the general public and their money is concerned, your approach is just as valid as anyone else's who can get out there and perform and receive a good response. If I were performing for a living nowadays, I couldn't care less what the general public called me, as long as they liked me and my work and kept buying those tickets. I'd rather be an employed entertainer than a starving magician.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The Magician And Hypnotist Incarnate (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL