The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Top Hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Hello to one and all. Greetings! It's me... Top Hat - known as Hatto, Hazza, Topper and Mr. Hat. But never Mr. Top - oh no... that would be crazy!

Anyway, and here is the thing... the whole point of this post. It's this:

My name is Top Hat. But how many of you actually OWN a top hat, and if so, do you use it in your magical performances? If so, in what way? How? When? What kind of hat is it? Mine is a folding one - I believe it is called an opera hat. It is black in colour.

Come on then... let's hear it for top hats!

You friend,

Top Hat
(Hazza)
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Yes I use a Top Hat for two effects. (It folds as well)
Six Card Repeat and a Bank Night routine where a Lippincott
Box and accesories are kept.

On my website, in the about us section, there is a picture of me at a very young age
wearing a Top Hat. Wish I still had that one.
http://www.mandelmagic.com/8.html
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I can't stand wearing hats. I'm just not comfortable in them. Living where I do, I am often called upon to wear a Cowboy hat, but never a tophat. I have a few cheap tophats, and I used to have an opera hat. None of them fit on my head. I use them as props, from time to time, but not often.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I wear my top hat for every show, and whenever I do walk around, because it makes me the tallest man in the room. I juggle it, flip it from my foot to my head, my head to my foot, I pull cards out of it, and I produce my "run rabbit run" bunnie from it. My top hats takes such a beating that they only last 6 to 12 months.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
I use a top hat on my table to put my produced items in. I also produce a folding one at the end to walk out wearing.
Rob Pond
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 13:08, Al Angello wrote:
I wear my top hat whenever I do walk around, because it makes me the tallest man in the room. I juggle it, flip it from my foot to my head, I pull cards out of it, and I produce my "run rabbit run" bunnie from it.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello

Yeah, much to my dismay, not wearing a hat makes me the tallest man in the room.
Vater Araignee
View Profile
Regular user
MI
168 Posts

Profile of Vater Araignee
Felt Morticians.
Misers dream.
Full shot glass production.
Sword production.
Whatever strikes my fancy.
"Good enough never is." - Vater Araignee
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
I use a top hat for productions of certain things. In my shows I always enjoy pulling my angry rabbit out(the one in my avatar). I am known for using that rabbit in my shows.

My top hat collapses. It is not meant to be worn.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I use a top hat for productions and not so much as a costume accessory. I produce a wide range of things from it including a live rabbit.
It's not a collapsing top hat but it does have a secret compartment inside it
Daniel Faith
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11158 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I live in my top hat. It's cheaper than paying rent.

Of course, I have to share it occassionally with a gorilla.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 01:38, Michael Baker wrote:
I live in my top hat. It's cheaper than paying rent.

Of course, I have to share it occassionally with a gorilla.

That's what that is! LOL

Sorry Michael, the devil made me do it. We expect to see you in that hat. I had supper with you Tuesday. And you did not eat bananas. (There, did that clear your record?)

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ning
View Profile
New user
From Sunny Singapore!
89 Posts

Profile of ning
I got one, it's a black collaspable one by Uday. It's quite affordable but it's not very well made and doesn't fit very well... maybe I just have a small head! Smile I understand good ones don't come cheap. Where do you guys get yours from? Smile

Ning Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bryan Dube sells a decent one for about $70 http://www.dube.com and I believe he ships all over the world.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
ning
View Profile
New user
From Sunny Singapore!
89 Posts

Profile of ning
Hey Al Smile

Thanks for the site! It's great... besides the hats (cool! a useful size chart!) it has all sorts of things I could use too, like fire fans and pois *grin* It's a helpful alternative to homeofpoi which I get my stuff from.

Their collaspable top hat is really expensive though! They start from $225 (American dollars?) not yet incl. of shipping! Yikes.... Smile That's a lot of moolah, especially in Singapore dollars!

But then, I guess you pay peanuts, you get monkeys *grin*

Ning
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Hi Ning
Bryan is the number one juggling prop manufacturer in the world, he is never cheap, and is in a class by himself.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello

PS- That wool top hat will be quite hot to wear in sunny Singapore
ning
View Profile
New user
From Sunny Singapore!
89 Posts

Profile of ning
Smile Really appreciate your help Al! Most places in SG are air-conditioned these day, unless you are made to do walkaround magic outdoors then you'd melt in the heat even just wearing a long sleeved button shirt *nods gravely*

Ning Smile
PS: Love your quote by Eminem, you're funky! Smile
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
It's too bad Dube doesn't sell colored top hats like the derbies. I like the look of his felt tophat, but need a color other than black.

Ron
dAvId tOnG
View Profile
Loyal user
sInGaPoRe
210 Posts

Profile of dAvId tOnG
MagicHands of Germany manufacturers very good quality tophats too...but not sure if they are still available..
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
I do use a top hat. Mine is the collapsing type. I use it as part of the act (at the beginning) to produce a rabbit (stuffed). And then I set it at the front corner of my table as decoration. I think it's too hot to keep on; and it's too top heavy for me to be completely comfortable.

:magicrabbit:
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
I own many hats. It is really a metaphor because I also wear many hats as magic is not the only thing I do. I wear collapsible top hats, felt hats that don't collapse, bowler hats, wizard hats, and hats that fit certain costumes. The hat helps to define me as a performer, not simply some guy. And I believe that there really is nothing wrong with being the tallest person in the room, if that gets the attention of the audience. I pull many things out of hats and use them for different purposes. Large wands and poles come out of them. Things go into them, such as run rabbit run rabbit(s) and die box dies. I've had production loads such as silks come out of them. I've done flourishes with them, dressed up assistants with them, etc. Hats turn into tables for props. Hat shaped items are part of some of the tricks I've performed. Yes, even the rabbit has come out of my hat. And the caricature I draw of myself has me in a top hat. It also has my body entering a top hat.
Hats off to you!
:magicrabbit:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Top Hat (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL