The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting Gigs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
I am having trouble (once again) on getting hired. I don't have the means to get ads in the newspaper or anything.

Does anyone have tips on inexpensive, but effective advertising? It's quite difficult when you're just a kid.

Thank you,
Michael
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Word of Mouth. If you don't have a website, Check out freeservers. I do all my sites on there for my wrestling, Magic and IT stuff. Just a little code and it is searchable. If you are a member of your local IBM ring they may also be able to help you out. I havent done a show since I was 12 because I get to nervous now with magic. But I am doing a big corporate event on the 26th because a lot of the people at that bank know that I do magic. Here in KC our local ring has a magicians for hire page on the internet. Also another thing if you are a national IBM member you can get a free webpage through the IBM as well. Get some business cards made up at http://www.vistaprints.com you can get some nice ones for free, all you have to pay is like 5 or 6 bucks shipping and handling. Then post those on bulletin boards around town. Hope this helps some.
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Thanks.

I get hired by the library, but that's about it. Word of mouth did good for me at the beginning, but lately, I don't get anything.

Michael
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
Usually middle schools (3-6th grade) are having some sort of "feild day" about this time of the year, call the principle of the school, and ask if you could do some sort of show for the kids there. If you do perform in schools, I highly reccomend learning some balloon animals as well, kids love em'!!!
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
A lot of your drop off may be because of gas prices. We are spending so much money getting back and forth from work that we hardly have any money to spare. My wrestling shows have gone from 3 - 4 a month down to about 2 every 3 months. Since summer is approaching, I would probally try to hit up the day cares, I used to work the Daycares in idaho like a madman doing magic. It didn't pay great, But for the time being 7- 11 it payed good in my eyes. Then doing Daycares they could have like a weekend where the parents are there and you could promote your self that way as well.
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 15:57, sunnydolan wrote:
Usually middle schools (3-6th grade) are having some sort of "feild day" about this time of the year, call the principle of the school, and ask if you could do some sort of show for the kids there. If you do perform in schools, I highly reccomend learning some balloon animals as well, kids love em'!!!

The only problem with that is that could keep me out of school or something. I wouldn't want to do bad in finals. haha Thank you though. I'll try finding a school or something that I can perform at.

Michael
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You can always promote yourself as a magician at the places you go. If you go out to eat, do a trick for the waitress. If you go to the library, do one for the person at the check out desk when you check out ur books, if you got to a dry cleaners, do a trick for the person at the counter, etc. I do this all the time, and get a lot of free promotion and gigs out of it. It doesn't have to be much, maybe color changing knives or hotrod, or a tt trick, or any simple pocket type close up trick. Getting known as a magician is what gets you gigs, and to get known, you obviously have to do magic. It worked for me as both a kid and an adult.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Well I finished designing some business cards. They are simple, but pretty awesome. I can pass these out to those people I do magic for.
Thanks for the help,
Michael
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
477 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Michael,

Here's a great deal for getting business cards. FREE! No kidding! I've personally used these folks a couple of times now and there doesn't seem to be any catches.

Vista Print

Till we appear again,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Guerrilla Marketing : Secrets for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business (Guerrilla Marketing) -- by Jay Conrad Levinson; Paperback

Go to Amazon or your local book store and spend the small amount this book costs. It is the bible of small business marketing and will be well worth your while as you get started selling your show. Lot's of low cost and no cost things you can do.

Here's my marketing secret weapon for magicians: Visit in person Part Shops in your area. Introduce youself and tell them what you do and what you charge. Offfer a nice flyer and business cards and tell them that you will give them a kick back on any show they book. 20% is a good figure. Remember you are trying to get shows and build up a clientle for repeat business. Think loooooong term here.

So they book you to try you out. You do a great show. Ask the folks that booked you to call the party people and tell them how much they liked the show. PAY THE PARTY PEOPLE THEIR CUT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!! I can't emphasize this enough. Want more shows? Pay up and pay up fast. It will impress them with your professionalism, etc.

As you get shows from the party shops, contact Party Planners. The folks that book the talent, etc. for corporate events...you get the idea. If you play this right and you can get IN...you can build a nice well paying client base for the future. Do it really right and YOU become the go to performer in your area.

It is remarkable how few magicians that WANT to do shows aren't onto this. Give it a go and see what happens. Best,
Brad Burt
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
BradBurt is 100% correct, marketing is everything. Learn how to market yourself.
Go to the library and get some books on marketing if you can't afford to buy.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I have a feeling it might be difficult while you're a kid. I'm speculating that perhaps people don't like to be fooled by someone so young.

The good news is that you are remedying it every day.

Meanwhile, perhaps you need to find some way of capitalising on what is your USP.
Jolyon Jenkins
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I have known some 'kids' to do a lot of shows. You have to think and market yourself correctly. A 'cute' kid can go a long way in some venues and make some good money. It would take too long to go over the possible permutations, but hang in there. Get educated. Take theatre classes if possible. Read widely. Stay humble. Best,
Brad Burt
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
In addition to Brad's suggestion of theater classes, I would highly recommend voice training. Your voice, a lot of the time, is what creates your presence and persona. It is one of a performer's most valuable tools. Some might say, "Well, if you are doing a silent act, then you do not need voice training". BULL! You can't negotiate a contract silently.

:devilish:
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Of course, as a kid, it is fun to kill the adult hecklers who think your a cute little kid that couldn't fool no one. Do a sucker effect on them but be nice about it, hand them a buisness card when your done and continue doing some nicer things. Make sure you can pull this off and read your audience.
Tarbell!
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
398 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
Adding my 2 cents worth, I always do a trick or two at restaurants, bars, wherever I happen to be, give cards to anyone who shows interest.I call anyone who does, balloon decorating, party planning, wedding planning,also party supply stores , also google search for inflatables in the area(slides etc) call them offer to be on their source files, all of those people get calls for magic, balloon twisters, face painters etc,,,, long ago slowed down on this as I have more than I can do, I turn down several sghows for every one I do.... it works
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2006-05-15 10:59, BradBurt wrote:
Guerrilla Marketing : Secrets for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business (Guerrilla Marketing) -- by Jay Conrad Levinson; Paperback

Go to Amazon or your local book store and spend the small amount this book costs. It is the bible of small business marketing and will be well worth your while as you get started selling your show. Lot's of low cost and no cost things you can do.

Here's my marketing secret weapon for magicians: Visit in person Part Shops in your area. Introduce youself and tell them what you do and what you charge. Offfer a nice flyer and business cards and tell them that you will give them a kick back on any show they book. 20% is a good figure. Remember you are trying to get shows and build up a clientle for repeat business. Think loooooong term here.

So they book you to try you out. You do a great show. Ask the folks that booked you to call the party people and tell them how much they liked the show. PAY THE PARTY PEOPLE THEIR CUT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!! I can't emphasize this enough. Want more shows? Pay up and pay up fast. It will impress them with your professionalism, etc.

As you get shows from the party shops, contact Party Planners. The folks that book the talent, etc. for corporate events...you get the idea. If you play this right and you can get IN...you can build a nice well paying client base for the future. Do it really right and YOU become the go to performer in your area.

It is remarkable how few magicians that WANT to do shows aren't onto this. Give it a go and see what happens. Best,

Are you promoting us kids to get talent agents? I thought about that, but I heard people say they are no good. So would you recommend hiring a talent agent? What will they do for us? How much money is involved? How would I go about doing this?
Thanks. -Cory.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Talent agents and the owner of a party shop or party business are a different thing. A 'real' agent would work proactively to get you shows. But, making contacts with folks that could offer 'you' as another part of what will make a great party is just good marketing. I knew a fellow years ago that just put up a nice looking flyer in all the local party shops in town and got a ton of business! He still kicked back part of the fee to the shop owners and as they saw the profit in it they began to recommend him.

What you have to do is get your name out. Magic and magicians are still a kind of odd breed. Frankly a lot of folks that would hire a magician JUST DON'T THINK ABOUT IT UNTIL AFTER THE EVENT! Yep, that's correct. So you want your name out as widely as possible. You want to increase the 'possibility' that you will get called for a show. Once you get the call you better have some salesman chops down, etc. Best,
Brad Burt
Jonta
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jonta
Websites are always good to have. I've got several, but no magic one yet. (Maybe I sould learn some tricks first? Smile) Anyway, go onto http:www.freewebs.com or http://www.geocities.com and make your own free website. If you don't want people to type in "www.freewebs.com/magicman226" or something, then go onto http://www.dot.tk and make an account there. Then you can have your website being something like "www.magicman226.tk". I'd ask local small supermarkets if you can hang a piece of paper telling about what you do and so on next to the missing cats on the pinboard, do the same at your school and your mother's and father's work, and friends's parent's work. (WARNING! Ask for permission.)
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Thanks for all the help.

Jonta, on dot.tk, is it "fill-in-the-blank" where you fill in the information you want to show up, etc.?

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting Gigs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL