The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Climax of the Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ades888
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of ades888
I have begun building my stand up routine around a bunch of "mistakes" that happen during the show and then have them resolved all at once at the climax of the show. As an example, I burn a spectator's bill towards the start and "mess up" a couple of predictions (one being a card and another being a canned food type).

At the end, a box that has been sitting in full view the entire time is opened to find the matching can of food. Once opened, inside is the card prediction and the spectator's signed bill.

What do you guys think of this type of routining, whereby it appears you have got it all wrong during the show, only to resolve them all at once at the end of the show? Do you think 3 is too many?

And thoughts on how audiences will react to thinking you made a mistake, only to be hit at the end (with a sledgehammer if you will)...in that sucker effect kind of way...

I should note that during the show, there ARE effects that I DO NOT get wrong also.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
This is the editing stage, puting the show on its feet will tell you a lot. I would think there would be an odd moment after you've failed an effect. That's not to say that you can't deal with, or even use that odd moment, but the question would be, "have you?". In concept, your idea is a good one. There have been many entertaining performances built around this idea. Honestly, if anything I would think 3 would be too few. If you are going to fail, you want it to be big enough and/or consistant enough that the audience knows it is intentional. Tred carefuly, this one will be a little like juggling eggs. You can do it, but one wrong move and you'll have a big mess.
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Profile of Moyle with Parkinsons
I think that the show you have proposed could be a ripper provided you pull it off correctly. The audience must feel comfortable to laugh at your mistakes rather than feel sorry for you. In other words you have to make jokes so that it is quiet obvious that you will not feel bad if the audience laughs at the debarkle you are creating on stage. I mean The Amazing Johnothan makes an entire show out of this type of magic however he also does a few very well performed effects inbetween or at the end which is what you have suggested.

Also I think that you should leave a hint that you will resolve the mess at the end so that the audience does not lose interest you have to leave an aire that will keep the audience thinking how the hell is he going to fix this mess! Good idea though.

Moyle
"Signatures cause far too much trouble!" an original quote by Moyle With Parkinsons.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Climax of the Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL