The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I perform on 10-12 year olds. They will want to examine the cards. What's the best way to switch the gimmick cards in Skinner's ultimate 3 card monte?

I watched Michael Ammar's Ice Breakers video and he performed Skinner's monte and then at the end of the routine pretended not to remember which pocket he placed the black packet in. So he reached in his right pocket with his right hand with the gimmicked cards and reached into his left pocket with his empty left hand and did the switch while bringing out the regular cards and the black packet. Then he placed the cards in the packet in case anyone would want to examine them.

But after thinking about it, I was hoping there would be another method of the switch.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Having just seen Michael lecutre and perform the monte routine, he proceeded to use a himber style packet trick wallet to ditch the "Skinner kards". I believe this would get you by in most cases.

Snidini
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
That's a swell idea.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Have the regular cards on the bottom of the deck before you do the trick. When done with the trick, drop the gaffes on the top of the deck as you pick the deck up. If anyone demands to see the cards, flip the deck over and peel them off the bottom. Be slick about it.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Airship, you would definitely have to be slick about it. It could be pretty risky.

How would the himber wallet come into play in the routine. I am not familiar with it, however, I'm assuming there is a hidden compartment. Would you place the gaffed cards in the wallet after the routine and just lay it on the table or would the wallet come into play near the end of the routine in some sort of way?
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
It’s a switch wallet. You put the cards in the wallet after the trick is done. If someone wants to see the cards, you open the wallet and hand the (gaff free) cards over.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will then have to purchase some type of switch wallet strictly for this routine. I don't perform many card tricks. I have maybe 2 or 3 card effects, but this one will require me to switch the cards.

In your opinion, what is the best quality switch wallet you would recommend that the price is around the $50.00 range. Remember, I will be purchasing a switch wallet strickly for the Skinner's monte routine and for nothing else.

Thanks for helping.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Unfortunately, I don’t know much about the differences between the various models. It sounds like you only need it to hold six cards and it will only be used for a very basic purpose. Also, you don’t really need it to resemble a real wallet; just a packet wallet. Therefore, I would recommend shopping for a small, cheap plastic model. If I come across something, I’ll let you know.

Thanks,

Elliott
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I bought a small wallet size Himber many years ago for storing packet tricks. I could load each side with different setups and switch them in and out at will. Including the center (shared) divider, I could set up four separate packets, not that I'd use them all at once of course, but it did give me some options.

There are two popular sizes, the most prevalent is the "pocket secretary" size which is sized for an inside jacket pocket but too tall for a back pocket. The other, which is less common, is the hip pocket size like mine. Mine was made by Harry Monti but as far as I know he stopped making them years ago.

Do a search for "Himber Wallet" and you should find several good sources.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Just a question: why do you think that the Ammar solution is not good?
I use it all the time and it works very well. Don't overestimate your spectators, they won't notice you are switching the 3 cards if you do it smoothly Smile

Dave
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
A couple questions...
If performing for 10-12 year olds, why not do the color monte?
Here's another idea.
Why not show them 1 by 1 face up COMPLETELY as normal?
Show the faces of each 3 cards face up, turn face down and place under pile.
Drop the two normal cards on to top of deck leaving you with 3 cards, 2 gaffed and one normal.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I use the Jerry O'Connell mini himber for this very effect. It is incredibly thin and made of top quality leather.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I think I saw a version of this as a Penguin download. I think in their version they finished by placing the cards in a pocket (possibly each in a different pocket, I'm not sure) thus making the finale even more "impossible" and at the same time giving you the opportunity to switch them with the ungaffed cards right under their noses.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Roland78, I never tried the Ammar way of switching the cards so I really can't honestly say how it would work. I guess reaching into the pockets puts up a red flag for me, but like you said, the spectators probably wouldn't think anything of it.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I'm not one for having packets in a wallet.
For me, removing the Skinner cards from a deck seems the best way to start.

If at start the regular cards are on top Carney's "The Yenrac Packet Switch" could be done.
If at start the regular cards are on the bottom a variation of the "Vernon Transfer" can be done.
Hoelderlin
View Profile
Regular user
Turin, italy
112 Posts

Profile of Hoelderlin
In fact, Michael Ammar, at the end of the routine, does the change of the gaff with regular cards and then he performs, the bent corner move; now he does another miracle and the cards are examinable.
Hölderlin (Massimo Manca) - Circolo Amici della Magia - Turin - Italy.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well a wallet to store you packet tricks would be an option. Where you work would be another option. Could you lap the gaff cards and switch in the non-gaff ones? Or just a switch in the same pocket. Works for a few Sankey effect.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
magicbar
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicbar
A packet trick wallet with a black art divider would allow a simple sw****. I take the set out of the back pocket while not showing the audience the wallet. Then at the conclusion I place the cards away and if asked open the wallet and remove a non g****d set from the visible side
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
That would work too. The Himber wallet is similar, although it doesn't need the black art divider to work.

Harry Anderson uses (a slightly modified) Himber in his "Buffalo Bill" routine and has the spectator open the wallet.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Using the Magic Café search engine, I found the following topics about Michael Skinner's Ultimate Three Card Monte:

The more specific question regarding switching gaffed cards can be found in some of these, and also in other topics about gaffed packet tricks.

Skinner's 3 Card Monte

Ultimate 3 Card Monte Michael Skinner

Skinner's 3 Card Monte

Ultimate Three Card Monte

Skinner's Monte

The Ultimate Three Card Monte-part two

Ultimate 3 card monte

Mike Skinner's Ultimate Monte Video?

Michael Skinner's ultimate 3 card monte on bicycles?

Ultimate 3 Card Monte

Michael Skinner's Ultimate Monte

Skinners 3 card monte

Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte Problem

Ultimate 3 card monte origins

And, Skinner's monte is also lists in many other more general "Three Card Monte" topics, which can be found at Three Card Monte topics.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL