The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A spin-off topic: Coincidences (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I'm stating that time is a constant as well, but perception of it is relative. Time only exists if you have something to mark passage through it. I'm saying that if your two atomic clocks wind up with two different times, that could certainly show dialaion, but it could with equal validity show that the force of either speed, gravity, or both effects the rate of atomic decay.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Something with cards that happened.
I was starting an Ambitious Card effect and asked someone to name a card.
I looked for the card and really couldn't find it.
We both looked and counted the cards. 51.
I eventually looked in the card box, which was off to the side and in full view, and there was the named card.

This was not intentional and because we were both truly suprised we had a good laugh and felt that it was a weird thing to have happened.

This could be a contrived but fun coincidence.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I can recount numerous stories of coincidences that have happened to me, but, applying them to magic is a doozy. How do you make it look like it just happened without it looking planned? Especially if you plan on doing it again. Next, can you think of effects that don't include card selections? It would be great if you picked two volunteers at random and they wore the same attire (I don't mean a uniform). The other set up could be to have like items, exact money or the same birth dates. The challenge here is to avoid making a mind reading act out of it.
POOF!
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 15:47, Jaz wrote:
I eventually looked in the card box, which was off to the side and in full view, and there was the named card.

This was not intentional and because we were both truly suprised we had a good laugh and felt that it was a weird thing to have happened.

I find that this kind of thing happens a lot with cards. You should always listen to them, they have important things to say.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 16:20, JackScratch wrote:

I find that this kind of thing happens a lot with cards. You should always listen to them, they have important things to say.

Yes, I've never been lead astray by the wisdom of cardboard.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Ah, but it's not cardboard. It's plasticoated aircushioned cardboard.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 16:20, JackScratch wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 15:47, Jaz wrote:

I have listened.
Secretly leaving a card or two in the box upon the decks removal can bring forth some interesting effects later on.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
From my website... Each of these stories was a coinicidence that transformed into magic. Unpredictable, and hardly able to be duplicated easily, but each made the moment more magical than the original intent.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Psy-Kosh
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
135 Posts

Profile of Psy-Kosh
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 15:42, JackScratch wrote:
I'm stating that time is a constant as well, but perception of it is relative. Time only exists if you have something to mark passage through it. I'm saying that if your two atomic clocks wind up with two different times, that could certainly show dialaion, but it could with equal validity show that the force of either speed, gravity, or both effects the rate of atomic decay.

Can you make any specific predictions? ie, if what you're saying is true, it'd be a pretty amazing coincidence that gravity and relative velocity _just happen_ to affect radioactive decay to the same extent that relativity makes the prediction that it will affect time.

Ie, relativity makes specific predictions. Those predictions have been tested. They passed the tests.

What does your hypothesis predict? Or, more to the point, what observation would you consider evidence _against_ your hypothesis?

Again, note that special relativity could be viewed as being derived from Maxwell's equations. That is, the speed of light being constant for all observers is a consequence of those equations, which certainly seem to do a good job, so if SR is fundumentally flawed, then you'd have to addres the question of "how is it that SR can be false, yet be a consiquence of Maxwell's equations, yet Maxwell's equations work?"

Both relativity and QM reduce to newtonian stuff in the newtonian domain. So whatever it is that you're saying would have to somehow also reduce to Maxwell's stuff, yet somehow be sufficiently different to break the assumptions that result in SR being derivable from classical EM.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-05-17 17:18, JackScratch wrote:
Logical fallacy. You have to be able to imagine it, for it to be true? Einstein said, and I completely agree, that time travel is completely impossible. I may be getting the name wrong, and as yet there seem to be several different ideas on that, but it is a perfectly sound theory. Why is it that whenever someone brings up predestination, someone else feels like their freewill has just been trod upon. Everything being predestined doesn't invalidate the role any person plays in that destiny. Besides, I just said it was a theory, and while I do think it makes an awful lot of sense, I haven't said I believe it. I will also say that so far, no one has poresented an even half decent arguement against it. So far we have "It's BS" and "I can't imagine it".

Sorry to disappoint you, Drew, but time travel is not only a possibility, we do it all the time. We just do it in one direction. We go from now to later, not now to before. That's still travel.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Vater Araignee
View Profile
Regular user
MI
172 Posts

Profile of Vater Araignee
You need to know first, my wife doesn't want to now how magic is done.
My wife and I are having dinner and a table hopper comes over. I get "The Toe Grind" (her play nice signal) and he has her pick and sign 8c then goes into an ambitious card. I admired it even if it did run a bit long for my taste. Next he brings out a bulldog clip with a card in it and places it on the table. He hands me the deck to shuffle and he asks me to cut the deck so I tabled it and cut. He picks up the stack and starts blatantly prepping it for an break and I started getting mad because obviously he is good so what he is doing is calling me an idiot meanwhile my wife is nudging me so I know she sees it too. Take the top card and sign it he says, so I don't I do a DL I didn't intend to I figured TL or QL but the most amazing coincidence happened, I got the 8c so I added to it and returned it to the tabled stack. I wont bother you details about the false and cuts but then he tables the deck and goes into the patter about wouldn't it be amazing if the clipped card was a prediction of my chosen card but wouldn't it be even more amazing if it was my card. He shows me the card and I tell him to take a look. Confusion is on his face so I tell him wile waving over the deck That I picked the ambitious card and it only goes to the top of the deck he flips the card I wrote "Got U" on it and proceeded to tell him insults get him nothing in return. He asked me how I did it. I just smiled and said "MAGIC".

Man I wish I could work something like that into a routine.
Say, wouldn't it be funny if he reads me saying "BWAA HAA HAA you couldn't think of the most obvious answer."
"Good enough never is." - Vater Araignee
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2903 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Come to think of it, I had a weird thing happen many years ago while doing the "one ahead" sealed envelope reading. I had the envelope up to my head and started calling out the message, which was "ILCWU," but this young lady in the audience started shaking her head. At that moment I realized that the instructions don't tell you what to do in this case. Anyway, so I had to play along and she ended up telling me what the message said, which was "I love you." I seem to remember a joke about the handwriting, which brought a laugh, but meanwhile I'm thinking, %$#&*^%!!!!!, I'm out of sequence.

So, having no choice but to continue, I open the envelope, and what do I see? "I love you." So I showed it to the audience, put it aside, and I was back in sequence. I was about sixteen or seventeen at the time and thought I'd just been saved by the bell.

After the show, a lady came up to me and asked if I could read her palm. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Coincidence has a very long arm... Be careful and have fun.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A spin-off topic: Coincidences (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL