The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Initiations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
One of my proudest moments in magic was taking the initiation rites to join my local Ring 71. The required performance and ceremony were special to me, in particular because I was only a teen then, and I was receiving approval from adults whom I idolized.

Years ago, our ring did away with initiations (and almost all formality) and,in my opinion, has become just a "hobby-night" that anyone with a little money and a passing interest can join. No peer review. No oath. Nothing to make it special or unique. I feel sorry for the newer members who will not get to experience an initiation and the sense of accomplishment and belonging that go with it.
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
I didn't go through an initiation. Then again, the ring leaders knew me already, and they knew what I could do. They told me to join after winning a competition.

Would've been a fun experience though.

Michael
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of impossible man
I know the trend has been toward informality everywhere. A lot of this has come in because it's a lot of work to always put on a tie, hold the door for someone, turn on your signal before changing lanes, but I do think that you can add a lot to an experience by dressing it up.

My proof? Starbucks. I'm not taking sides in the big conglomerate vs. mom and pop debate, I'm just saying that if you want to make someone feel special, pay attention to the details (great tip for dating - it got my wife interested on our first date).

And aren't we always told not to just do a trick, but to make it something really special?

Maybe the pendulum has swung too far and you can give it a nudge in the other direction. (Of course magicians know if you hold it over a girl's hand it swings in a circle - See Scarne's book of magic tricks.)
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
I totally agree! I feel we are robbing our new members of an exciting moment when the Rings do not provide a proper induction.

I think it is important that we make their acceptance into the I.B.M. a special event. Something they will remember. Make it a celebration for everyone to remember.

The I.B.M. has a ceremony written up and available on the I.B.M. Website under I.B.M. Ring Resources. It is called the "Ceremony for Induction into the Ring and the International Brotherhood of Magicians."

This last year I requested in my monthly Linking Ring article that the Rings use the induction ceremony for this very reason. Ask your Ring if they could bring back the ceremony.

Steve Hart

I.B.M Membership Committee Chairman
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
When I first moved to the Boston area I joined the Silent Mora ring up here. They auditioned me. The first few meetings they were cordial and I felt welcome. After I performed they could tell that I am serious and skilled. Suddenly I was accepted as if I'd always been a part of the ring.

Now THAT was cool.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Not to mention the importance of taking an oath to respect the art in front of your peers.
tomcat
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of tomcat
I am saddened to hear that there is no formal induction. I always thought there was something "elite" about the ring and that is why I never did join when I was in college doing sideshows for kids. But I was thinking about joining the local Oklahoma City circle as I just moved here and it sounds more like a hobby club which is what I do not want. I would rather have someone tear me to shreds on a trick to make me better than to have a "cool trick" response. I am a professional for a living and I fear the day when everyone can join a group. It deminishes the value of the group and dilutes the talent. I will check into my local circle but if they don't have a "tryout" or some form of induction then personally its not for me. I want to be recognized as a professional magician soon but I'm in no rush to accept something if it doesn't mean anything to me or my fellow magicians. IMHO
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
I was initiated into the Magischer-Ring Roethenbach Ring 348 the first week of May. There was a formal meeting with representatives from Austria and Northern Germany. The Burgermeister of the City was there with other prominent members of the City.

Each member was introduced to the gathering and given a certificate, pin and membership card. After the induction ceremony, each member was asked to give a small presentation. I performed a 20 minute mentalism show which impressed, not only the guests, but the magicians as well.

What makes me feel great, however, is the swiftness into which I was inducted. The Rings by-laws state that a person wishing to join the organization must pledge for no less than one year. Then the member is reviewed and asked to join. I was invited to join at my second meeting. The reason explained to me was that I had a lot to offer the Ring. I have been practicing magic for over 30 years and I come from Southern California. Home to Hollywood, Disneyland and the Magic Castle. I have a lot to share with the ring from a different perspective than the Bavarian Magicians and they know this. After the second meeting I was invited to join the ring and headline one of there monthly shows.

It really feels good to share my knowledge that the members genuinely appreciate. I look forward to a long relationship with the I.B.M. and Ring 348.

A funny side note: If I had joined when I was 10 years old – I would have had the Order of Merlin by now.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
In my opinion the "we'll take anybody" attitude has diminshed the quality of the club as a whole, locally and nationally. Seems to me sometimes the IBM has been watered down to the point it could be a gathering of model railroading enthusiasts for all its secrecy and glamour. Personally, I'd rather belong to an IBM of 1000 strong, qualified members than an IBM of 100,000 wannabes.

OK. Done venting. I had been holding that in for a while.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I am an enthusiastic amateur who has been interested in magic since I was 8 years old. (I am now 54.) I have a library of over 40 magic books, including most of the must-have classics like Royal Road, New Modern Coin Magic, and Wilson's Complete Course. However, my focus is on self-working tricks, and the core of my repertoire is from my complete set of Karl Fulves books. Why? Because of the nerve damage in my hands from diabetes, which limits my ability to do complicated moves.

I doubt I would ever have much to contribute to a professional magician, other than to serve as an enthusiastic audience. And I am as passionate about magic as most club-member model railroading enthusiasts are about their hobby.

I'm currently debating whether to join my local I.B.M. ring. So, would you allow me into your local ring? Or do you think I should just stay home?
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
sirsephy
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of sirsephy
I agree with the oath, in front of your peers. I think performing is good but I don't think as a test. Do you have to be a professional to join? I thought the idea of joining the IBM was to share and learn. Have I performed at my ring, yes am I able to add to the meeting, to be critical, I think so. I don't always have anything I can contribute, and most of the people there will probably forget more than I'll ever know. There is another thread running about the meetings and how the people seem to be good ol' boys. Seems to me forcing everyone to be so experienced they wow the current members will only promote that attitude. The hobbyist could have just as much to contribute as the professional, some times even us beginners have good contributions. Where are us novices supposed to go? From what I've read on the other thread it would appear all local rings are not a like so give the one close to you a try. I think that is the best way to determine if the local ring is for you, as for the IBM, take a look at there web page http://www.magician.org/index.htm Sorry for the run on sentences.
"You offered hope to the weary heart
In charity's sacred name;
You brightened the world with a blessed art
That counts up here the same." Alexander Herrmann
EvanSparts
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
333 Posts

Profile of EvanSparts
Quote:
On 2006-05-22 12:43, airship wrote:
I am an enthusiastic amateur who has been interested in magic since I was 8 years old. (I am now 54.) I have a library of over 40 magic books, including most of the must-have classics like Royal Road, New Modern Coin Magic, and Wilson's Complete Course. However, my focus is on self-working tricks, and the core of my repertoire is from my complete set of Karl Fulves books. Why? Because of the nerve damage in my hands from diabetes, which limits my ability to do complicated moves.

I doubt I would ever have much to contribute to a professional magician, other than to serve as an enthusiastic audience. And I am as passionate about magic as most club-member model railroading enthusiasts are about their hobby.

I'm currently debating whether to join my local I.B.M. ring. So, would you allow me into your local ring? Or do you think I should just stay home?

I say your welcome. For the simple fact that you are passionate. So what if you cant do complicated moves, some of the best magic is self working. I love moves and sleights but two pf my favorite effects are self working; and probably get some of the best reation out of all the things that I do that are complicated.

For example how often have I seen this. (insert complicated sleight filled routine here) done to perfection crowd has great reaction. Then someone does cardtoon and they all lose their *** minds over that one.

Truly goes to show that the magic really lies in the magician not the props, or the moves, but whatever kind of moment you can creat for them through the presentaion, no matter the method.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Of course you are welcome to join Airship! (and I really think you should).

Please do not misunderstand what I am saying. I would never say that anyone with a serious interest in magic shouldn't join. I want them to join and the IBM needs them. I think even people who don't perform but are serious about magic should join (such as collectors/inventors/enthusiasts). What I am concerned about is the impression that even a passing interest in magic will get you swept right into the club with no introduction, no oath, no performance or initiation, nothing except a little cash. Again, the reason I resent the loss of these standards is because I can remember the pride I felt when the club had them.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-05-23 12:15, bsears wrote:
I resent the loss of these standards is because I can remember the pride I felt when the club had them.

Isn't pride a sin? It certainly comes before the fall. Our club hasn't an initiation though there has been talk about it from time to time. I personally dislike ritual and would not join a club that made one go through a initiation or take an oath.
I take pride in the things my club accomplishes not archaic ritual.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
477 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
The times they are a changin!

Many fraternal organizations are having the same issues. In our area we have groups like "The Elks Club", "The Moose Lodge", etc. and they are looking at their declining memberships. The old folks are dying off faster than the young folks are joining. Membership numbers tell the story and they are finding that they can approach the problem in a couple of ways: Stick with tradition and die on the vine, or get innovative and survive.

Magic is facing the same problems today. Most of the effects we use today were created by magicians that are no longer alive. Most of the fraternal ceremonies were created by those magicians. But those days have gone by and social values have changed.

If magic is to survive as an art form then we need to introduce new effects into the art. If magic fraternities are to survive then we need to introduce new magicians to the club. I say if they have a passing interest in magic, catch em while you can. It's not really about how you get them into the club, it's more about what you do with them once they are in the club. Do you make em wait, or do you build em up?

You can't just keep doing things the same way and expect different results. Recognition, not ceremony, is what people want today.

Till we appear again,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Our members vary....not all are performers. Some are historians and others maybe collectors.

They may not perform but they can contribute through sharing with the group the history of magic. Others will maintain and exhibit the magic of old.

So you don't have to be the best at performing magic. All we ask is that you have an honest love for magic and that you never violate our "Code of Ethics."

As I stated earlier, the initiation is a celebration of a new member's commitment to the group. Lets celebrate!

Steve Hart
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Initiations are more than just ritual or tradition in my experience. They introduce the member to the club in a formal way and allow them to prove to their peers that they are as enthusiastic about magic as everyone else. IMO such a display creates trust and a bond among members.

As far as declining numbers; easy come, easy go.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-05-26 10:24, bsears wrote:
Initiations are more than just ritual or tradition in my experience. They introduce the member to the club in a formal way and allow them to prove to their peers that they are as enthusiastic about magic as everyone else. IMO such a display creates trust and a bond among members.

As far as declining numbers; easy come, easy go.

I've always felt that it's better to prove oneself through ones actions. Anyone can jump through hoops and swear oaths but only those who are truly dedicated to the craft will step forward to do what needs to be done.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Initiations (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL